Certain Videos Won't Start

Dreakon13
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

Dreakon13

Hi, I'm running into a handful of files in the 720P HEVC format that begin to load for a second or two then stop.

So I click play on a video, it looks like its loading, then quickly stops and sends me back to the menus.  If it tries to play multiple problem files in a row, they'll all start and quickly stop repeatedly until the shuffle finds one that does work.  Other video files and formats have worked without issue.

It seems to be specific to my Roku devices (one Ultra and one Premiere)... because my Samsung TV Emby app plays the same files without issue, as well as on the Media Server app itself on my Synology DS220+.

The attached server log includes the relevant lines for attempting to run on the Roku Ultra.  I did not see any other logs generated at that time.

Please let me know if this is not descriptive enough.  Thank you for any help.

embyserver (2).txt

Edited by Dreakon13

Ok thanks. Can you supply a copy of the media info of the file you tried to play? Just open the web app detail screen for that video, scroll down to the bottom, and then copy/paste or screenshot the media info section into here. Thanks !

Dreakon13

Media Info

Audio
Title AAC stereo (Default)
Codec AAC
Profile LC
Layout stereo
Channels 2 ch
Bitrate 192 kbps
Sample Rate 48,000 Hz
Default Yes

Video
Title 720p HEVC
Codec HEVC
Profile Main
Level 93
Resolution 960x720
Aspect Ratio 4:3
Anamorphic No
Interlaced No
Framerate 23.976
Bitrate 614 kbps
Bit Depth 8 bit
Pixel Format yuv420p
Reference Frames 1

Container mkv
Size 100MB

Thanks!

Dreakon13
14 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Can you try and play one of these and then send a log from the app right after the failure?

I went into the app on my Roku, tried to play the file (it didn't work, as expected), and I went to Send Log in the main menu and it said it sent.  Hopefully that helps.  Thanks for looking into it!

• Solution

Hi. Something has to be wrong with the headers in this mkv. The player just thinks the item is finished.  Can you try remuxing it?

• Thanks 1

Dreakon13
29 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi. Something has to be wrong with the headers in this mkv. The player just thinks the item is finished.  Can you try remuxing it?

I have limited knowledge of this so I didn't change anything in the process of doing it, but remuxing to a new mkv file did seem to fix it.  File plays on Roku without issue.  It'll take a while but I guess I can re-do these.

Is it strange that apps on other devices worked fine (Samsung TV, web browser, etc) and the Roku's the only ones hitting this snag?

Edited by Dreakon13

The issue is when the person removes commercials. Depending on the program doing this it can mangle the header. If the file is obtained over the internet it might have a corrupted header. The scene rules do not NUKE for bad header. The scene rules only nukes if the file cannot be played on VLC. Since VLC can play these damaged files by reading the streams they work. But the header will throw off any player that needs to detect the format based on the header. The Roku reads the format detection explicitly from the header. This means length is in the header. It isn't reading the length of the bitstream. When you remux it fixes the header which the Roku relies on. The Roku has more protections built in from crashing their player. They do not want you breaking out of their sandbox they have put they put applications into. Roku does not want their device "hacked" and rooted and su/sudo becomes available.

Edited by speechles
  • Thanks 1