Cannot Externally Connect Since Update - SOLVED

TolkienBard
Go to solution Solved by sooty234,

TolkienBard

The title pretty much says it all. Here's where things stand. I updated both Emby and Windows yesterday. Since then, I can still stream from Emby if I am on the internal network, but not if I am attempting to stream from outside the house. I have had this issue a small handful of times over the years since MB2, so I went through and used the "nuclear option" to try and get things back on track again. It has usually fixed the problem in the past.

I shut down Emby
I shut down the PC
I turned off the router
I power-cycled the modem to establish a fresh connection
I turned the router back on and waited for it to fully connect to the Internet
I fired up the PC
I launched Emby.
I then double-checked, port 8096 is still forwarded
Embyserver.exe is assigned firewall permission for all types of network connections
The proper IP addresses are showing up on the server dashboard
Internal streaming still works

I have just again tried restarting the server and then connecting so that the logs will show the entirety of the evolution. When attempting to access externally, I get the spinning wheel, followed by the connection failure message. This is on all devices.

Log is attached.

embyserver.txt

Edited by TolkienBard

TolkienBard

I tried using Emby for Android both with and without Emby Connect.

One brother tried connecting through his Roku television and through his Android phone. 

My other brother tried using FireTV. Neither of them are using Emby Connect.

sooty234
2 minutes ago, TolkienBard said:

I tried using Emby for Android both with and without Emby Connect.

One brother tried connecting through his Roku television and through his Android phone. 

My other brother tried using FireTV. Neither of them are using Emby Connect.

If they aren't using Connect, that means you gave them the IP, yes? Maybe that IP has changed? Have you verified that the IP they are using is the same as on the dashboard, and that your LAN IP is also unchanged/matching your forwarding?

TolkienBard

I have double-checked my IP address, both through my Internet provider and with Ye Olde What's my IP?

The IP address remains unchanged and is correct on both the server dashboard and in the IP address bar for connecting to the server through an app. I attempted to connect using the IP address and was unable to. Using Emby Connect on the Android App does not load the server either. I just get the login screen asking me to choose MediaServer, Emby Connect, Downloads, or Add Server. 

• Solution
sooty234

Try rebooting your router with everything plugged in and powered up. Then restart emby, not the machine, and check your IP addresses again, and retest.

And then also in the server Network settings, have you customized any settings on that screen?  Anything that is not the default value?

TolkienBard

The network settings have not been changed from default. The one and only change ever made was to add embyserver.exe to the firewall whitelist.

TolkienBard

I checked it earlier and it was. I just looked now and yes, it is still there post-reset of the machine.

TolkienBard
19 minutes ago, sooty234 said:

Try rebooting your router with everything plugged in and powered up. Then restart emby, not the machine, and check your IP addresses again, and retest.

What the...

🤬 🤬 🤬 🤬🤬

I have been at this for the better part of six hours. I was at the raggedy end of my very last nerve before I broke down and came here looking for help. I have lost track of the number of times I have restarted or reset things.

But hey, someone here gives me a suggestion, I am going to follow through. And well, now it works. There is a digital deity out there somewhere having a right-good chuckle at my bloody expense. If there isn't there damn well ought to be.

I haven't the faintest clue why that simple and pain-free solution sorted everything right out when no amount of starting from scratch has worked all evening. Is this the virtual equivalent of the magic car ride that tech has when it gets taken to the shop?

Anyway, thank you both for all the prompt responses and for lending a hand. I am happy to report my brothers are no longer blowing up my mobile with their impatience and that all appears to be right in the world again. Thanks mates!

💪 Great job!

TolkienBard
3 minutes ago, Luke said:

Can you try the canyouseeme test outlined in our connection troubleshooter here?

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001849007-connectivity

Please let me know the result, and then @cayars can jump on with you and help get you squared away.

Would have been more than happy to, though it seems it will no longer be necessary. Thanks again for all the rapid responses and the help getting me all sorted. I still have no idea what virtual sorcery you all pulled to make things work again, but I approve. Maybe next time I shouldn't wait so long to come asking for help.

3 hours ago, TolkienBard said:

There is a digital deity out there somewhere having a right-good chuckle at my bloody expense. If there isn't there damn well ought to be.

LOL

3 hours ago, TolkienBard said:

Would have been more than happy to, though it seems it will no longer be necessary. Thanks again for all the rapid responses and the help getting me all sorted. I still have no idea what virtual sorcery you all pulled to make things work again, but I approve. Maybe next time I shouldn't wait so long to come asking for help.

Glad you got things working.  The great Emby God in the sky was looking down on you with much amusement. :)

sooty234

Probably just a DHCP glitch and your router needed to reassert the IP. Keeping the devices plugged in and powered up lets the router retrace everything. In your OP I saw that you turned everything off and then power cycled the modem. You should do the opposite.