Roku apps not working on latest stable

riothamus

riothamus

I updated my server to the latest release yesterday, but now none of the Roku systems in my house will play anything from Emby.  This includes external Roku Express devices as well as a TV that has Roku built-in.

I have restarted the Emby server (running Debian 10, fully updated, using the .deb Emby package) and I have restarted all of the Roku devices.  I can sign into the Emby app (rather slowly than before, I might add) and I can pull up an item from my library.  However, when I try to play the file, nothing comes through on the Roku device.  In the Dashboard, Emby says that the file is being directly played on the device, but nothing shows up on the tv screen.  This happens on all of my devices.  I have included the logs from my most recent attempt.

embyserver.txt hardware_detection-63736460000.txt

riothamus

I'll give that a shot this evening after work.  Out of curiosity what would be the difference between the setups (aside from server versions) that the Roku would be concerned with?

riothamus

OK, just gave this a shot:

1. Removed the server from the Roku app.

2. Restarted the Roku device

3. Emby had the server in Roku again without me adding it.

4. Tried to play a couple of videos, same results as before where I couldn't watch them.

5. Removed the Emby server from the app

6. Re-added my server back to the app

7. Tried again to watch something, same results as before.

I've attached the logs from my recent attempt.  Thanks.

embyserver.txt hardware_detection-63736460000.txt

2020-09-23 12:14:46.855 Info HttpServer: HTTP GET http://192.168.0.31:8096/emby/Videos/102896/stream.mkv?static=true&mediaSourceId=873df52a6c6634d19f553dd0dd8e0193. Accept=*/*, Host=192.168.0.31:8096, User-Agent=Roku/DVP-9.30 (AS9.30E04194A)
2020-09-23 12:14:46.902 Error HttpServer: Error processing request
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 4.5.0.50
	Command line: /opt/emby-server/system/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /var/lib/emby -ffdetect /opt/emby-server/bin/ffdetect -ffmpeg /opt/emby-server/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /opt/emby-server/bin/ffprobe -restartexitcode 3 -updatepackage emby-server-deb_{version}_amd64.deb
	Operating system: Linux version 4.19.0-10-amd64 (debian-kernel@lists.debian.org) (gcc version 8.3.0 (Debian 8.3.0-6)) #1 SMP Debian 4.19.132-1 (2020-07-24)
	Framework: .NET Core 3.1.7
	OS/Process: x64/x64
	Runtime: opt/emby-server/system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
	Processor count: 6
	Data path: /var/lib/emby
	Application path: /opt/emby-server/system
	System.ArgumentNullException: System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null. (Parameter 'mediaSource')
	   at Emby.Server.MediaEncoding.Encoder.EncodingHelpers.AttachMediaSourceInfo(EncodingJobInfo state, MediaSourceInfo mediaSource, String requestedUrl, IFfmpegManager ffmpegManager)
	   at Emby.Server.MediaEncoding.Api.BaseStreamingService.GetState(StreamRequest request, Boolean requiresOutputPath, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at Emby.Server.MediaEncoding.Api.Progressive.BaseProgressiveStreamingService.ProcessRequest(StreamRequest request, Boolean isHeadRequest)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Services.ServiceController.GetTaskResult(Task task)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Services.ServiceHandler.ProcessRequestAsync(HttpListenerHost appHost, IRequest httpReq, IResponse httpRes, RestPath restPath, String responseContentType, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpServer.HttpListenerHost.RequestHandler(IRequest httpReq, ReadOnlyMemory`1 urlString, ReadOnlyMemory`1 localPath, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	Source: Emby.Server.MediaEncoding
	TargetSite: Void AttachMediaSourceInfo(Emby.Server.MediaEncoding.Encoder.EncodingJobInfo, MediaBrowser.Model.Dto.MediaSourceInfo, System.String, MediaBrowser.Controller.MediaEncoding.IFfmpegManager)

2020-09-23 12:14:46.902 Info HttpServer: HTTP Response 400 to 192.168.0.141. Time: 48ms. http://192.168.0.31:8096/emby/Videos/102896/stream.mkv?static=true&mediaSourceId=873df52a6c6634d19f553dd0dd8e0193. ConnectionId: 0HM2VRDLTHVF6
2020-09-23 12:14:46.949 Info HttpServer: HTTP POST http://192.168.0.31:8096/emby/Sessions/Playing. UserAgent: Roku/DVP-9.30 (AS9.30E04194A)
2020-09-23 12:14:46.977 Info SessionManager: Playback start reported by app Roku SG 4.0.4 playing Books. Started at 0 ms

What is Books? It looks like you've set up libraries incorrectly. The mediasource cannot be null error when trying to play an item signals this.

When it fails in this way for you it isn't stopping. You get stuck in the cascading errors until the playlist is exhausted which with auto-queue episodes enabled is a long damn time. Apologies for that. We will see what we can do about gracefully fail rather than clumsily plod through unable to play anything.

Edited by speechles

riothamus

'Books' is the name of the episode I was trying (the very same episode worked the night before the update as my son and I watched it).  I have been able to play these exact same libraries from the web app without issue.  Plus, these same libraries have been working for the past three years of my Emby use, and Plex before that.

Just for fun, I was able to play the 'Books' episode from the web app.  So there is something going awry between Roku and Emby.  The libraries themselves are fine.

Edited by riothamus

Start the Emby Roku app. Log in. Then immediately press STAR * on the remote when you land on the home screen. You will be taken to the Settings menu. At the bottom of the Settings menu is "Reset Settings" and you just need to click that. After you click it press the HOME button on your Roku remote. Then start the Emby Roku app again. This time it should treat you like a brand new user with a blank slate. Do you still have this problem after the reset?

Edited by speechles

riothamus

Well, I just tried this on one of my Roku's and now when I click on the Emby app it just goes straight back to the Roku home screen.  I'm restarting the Roku itself to see what happens.

After the reboot the app still does the same thing.  After I start the Emby app it crashes back to the Roku home screen.

I tried removing the Emby app, then adding it back in but when I start it I am shown my original configuration, as if I didn't clear any settings.

I tried to play the episode again anyway, with the same results.  Now my server log is getting spammed like this:

2020-09-23 18:14:32.846 Info App: RemoteClientBitrateLimit: 2000000, RemoteIp: 192.168.0.125, IsInLocalNetwork: True
2020-09-23 18:14:32.846 Info App: Profile: VideoCodecProfile, DirectPlay=false. Reason=Roku SG.IsAnamorphic Condition: Equals. ConditionValue: false. IsRequired: False. Path: /misc/tv/Paw Patrol/Season 1/Paw Patrol - 01x07 - Pups Save the Circus.mp4
2020-09-23 18:14:32.847 Info App: User policy for The Kids. EnablePlaybackRemuxing: True EnableVideoPlaybackTranscoding: True EnableAudioPlaybackTranscoding: True
2020-09-23 18:14:32.847 Info App: Profile: VideoCodecProfile, DirectPlay=false. Reason=Roku SG.IsAnamorphic Condition: Equals. ConditionValue: false. IsRequired: False. Path: /misc/tv/Paw Patrol/Season 1/Paw Patrol - 01x09 - Pup Pup Goose.mp4
2020-09-23 18:14:32.847 Info App: RemoteClientBitrateLimit: 2000000, RemoteIp: 192.168.0.125, IsInLocalNetwork: True
2020-09-23 18:14:32.847 Info App: Profile: VideoCodecProfile, DirectPlay=false. Reason=Roku SG.IsAnamorphic Condition: Equals. ConditionValue: false. IsRequired: False. Path: /misc/tv/Paw Patrol/Season 1/Paw Patrol - 01x09 - Pup Pup Goose.mp4
2020-09-23 18:14:32.849 Info App: User policy for The Kids. EnablePlaybackRemuxing: True EnableVideoPlaybackTranscoding: True EnableAudioPlaybackTranscoding: True
2020-09-23 18:14:32.849 Info App: Profile: VideoCodecProfile, DirectPlay=false. Reason=Roku SG.IsAnamorphic Condition: Equals. ConditionValue: false. IsRequired: False. Path: /misc/tv/Paw Patrol/Season 1/Paw Patrol - 01x11 - Pups Pit Crew.mp4
2020-09-23 18:14:32.849 Info App: RemoteClientBitrateLimit: 2000000, RemoteIp: 192.168.0.125, IsInLocalNetwork: True
2020-09-23 18:14:32.849 Info App: Profile: VideoCodecProfile, DirectPlay=false. Reason=Roku SG.IsAnamorphic Condition: Equals. ConditionValue: false. IsRequired: False. Path: /misc/tv/Paw Patrol/Season 1/Paw Patrol - 01x11 - Pups Pit Crew.mp4
2020-09-23 18:14:32.849 Info App: User policy for The Kids. EnablePlaybackRemuxing: True EnableVideoPlaybackTranscoding: True EnableAudioPlaybackTranscoding: True

Is this what you mean by 'exhausting the playlist'?  I have not queued up any of these files play, so I assume that's what is happening.

Edited by riothamus

System.ArgumentNullException: System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null. (Parameter 'mediaSource')

That's a static streaming url.  What is the parameter "mediaSource"?  We have mediaSourceId but what is mediaSource?

It looks like there's something going on with the version selection, causing versions of lots of movies to be grouped together.

For the example video that you've outlined above, can you show a screenshot of the web app detail screen? Thanks.

Hmm, that's strange. So I'm guessing you're able to play normally from the web app?

Does the Roku detail screen show a version selection option?

riothamus

Playing from the web app presents no problem.

As you can see from the Roku image, there is an issue with episodes from other series getting lumped into episode details in the Roku client (that explains the long time it takes when clicking through different episodes in the client, since the Roku app is building up these lists). The video will play if I select the correct one from the drop-down list:

IMG_2170.jpg

Edited by riothamus

riothamus

Yep, I sure do.  Only rule set up for that is to only play items tagged with "Children".  This is the account for my kids.

We'll, I just double-checked my kids' account in the web app, and the problem is there as well, not just the Roku client.  I had been testing from my account in the web app, while the Roku app has their login.  So the issue lies with that account.

Edited by riothamus

Ok the issue is related to that. We already have a fix that we're testing. We should have a patched build later today.

riothamus

That took care of it!  I tested on Roku and the web app (with the proper account this time) and the multiple listings of videos are now gone.  Thanks for your help!

Edited by riothamus

• 6 months later...
KylJoy

I'm having very similar issue but the file was unavailable for download.  Also, I do NOT use the parental tag features you mentioned but I can't get the Roku app to open.  It just crashes back to main Roku screen.  Emby works from every other device I've tried.  I uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled several times.  Nothing seems to work.

Edited by KylJoy