Slow loading on a large file - Roku Emby server

RokuGuys

RokuGuys

I am having issues streaming a 4k video with high bit rate. The file is over 2GB and video bit rate is 100.77Mb/s and Emby streaming bit rate is 101.16 Mb/s. The clip runs for few seconds and then goes black screen stating Loading. But it works just fine in Plex. I have gigabit router and switch in my LAN. So that's not what is causing the problem.

I even ran a LAN bandwidth test using iperf.exe and  got a 182mbs speed. Tried connecting Roku wirelessly with no luck. Plex work fine using wireless connection as well.

Is there some setting I am missing in Emby?

IMG_0775.JPG

Hi.  Plex is probably automatically falling back to a lower bitrate.  Try a lower setting in the app.  I don't think there is any Roku device that claims to support anything close to that bitrate.

Happy2Play

Don't all Roku's with eithernet only have 100Mb nics?   I assume lowering the in app quality setting below 100Mbps it plays, correct?

Without knowing what the other guys are doing it is impossible to say how that are doing it. 

RokuGuys
1 minute ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Plex is probably automatically falling back to a lower bitrate.  Try a lower setting in the app.  I don't think there is any Roku device that claims to support anything close to that bitrate.

Yes, lowering the quality works.it lowers the bit rate to 8Mbs now. :(

But when I checked Plex setting while running that clip, it shows Original (100.77 Mbs)

@RokuGuys Is Plex direct playing that TrueHD and actually getting sound? Or are they also converting the audio as we are?

If this is an MKV you can run it through MKClean ( https://www.matroska.org/downloads/mkclean.html ). It can correct problems with header issues. The Roku is heavily dependent on the header of the file being accurate and uncluttered. MKClean can provide this benefit to your file without re-encoding a thing. That might be all you need is fix the header. It might not. Doesn't hurt to try.

Does it hang at the beginning or is that happening a few seconds before the end? The transcode buffer and progress both show empty and that only occurs when the file is completely transcoded. It shows 100%. But it can get confused when data isn't incoming fast enough and it can assume this is the end.

Thanks. ;)

As @Luke suggests please provide logs.

Edited by speechles

RokuGuys

@speechles  I doubt it as Roku doesn't support trueHD yet though under settings it states it does.

Ok thanks I will give MKClean a shot.

It hangs @7 seconds. I can skip forward and it plays for another 6-8 seconds and hang again.

On lowering the bitrate, it starts at around 4mbs and gradually increases to 6, 8, 9, 10 and by 1:40 seconds it max out as 80mbs. It's a 3 minute Dolby4K  trailer clip.

RokuGuys

I tried playing it in Plex, the clip has 3 audio streams, True HD, EAC3  and AC3.

TrueHD is converted to DD+ and EAC3 shows up as Atmos on my receiver. (DD+ Atmos). Atmos streaming gives me the bandwidth error in Plex as well. So seems like Plex might be down rating  the video behind the scenes for true HD? So it might be my cat5 cable where the bottle neck is. I will try wireless streaming and update soon.

I don't see Atmos option with Emby at all. Isn't it supported?

Edited by RokuGuys

Perhaps we need to add priority for EAC3 above AC3 when supported. That would allow 640 kilobit rather than 480. That extra is the difference where they can fit in things. We can look at giving EAC3 priority (list it first) when detected rather than AC3. AC3 would be the (secondary) fallback codec when both are detected EAC3 and AC3. We can have this happen and correct the problem.

@RokuGuys At Emby we detect everything from your device automatically. We live by the "kiss" principle. The less users need to do in order to just press play is the goal. Our philipsophy is your media your way and you just press play. Rather than make you learn all these "advanced" settings we try to make a rule that each setting must have a purpose and clearly be a reason it exists and won't cause confusion .. or it isn't there... it won't make it as a setting on the Roku. There is not an Atmos option because this is auto-detected and applied. Everything that can be automated has been. The times where users need more control we allow that through settings. But some settings are not there because they do not need to be such as Atmos. Does that help explain?

Edited by speechles

1 hour ago, RokuGuys said:

it starts at around 4mbs and gradually increases to 6, 8, 9, 10 and by 1:40 seconds it max out as 80mbs

Are you looking at the transcoding speed?  That isn't what we're talking about when we ask about the bitrate setting.

50 minutes ago, RokuGuys said:

So it might be my cat5 cable where the bottle neck is.

The Roku device is only rated to up to 40Mb/s so you are probably fighting a losing battle with a 100mb/s item.

Depending on chipset(RokuTV vs RokuSTB vs RokuStick) it can affect speed. Stick is usually worst. Roku TV second to worst. Roku STB is your best bet for fastest WiFi especially Roku Ultra. You might get faster speed on WiFi than Ethernet. WiFi has a faster protocol but might suffer packet loss. That packet loss might be worse than the Ethernet but you might get better speed on WiFi. Especially with 5Ghz you can get faster. But theoretically you can get faster. With interference and the way the real world works the wire might be better than wireless or it might not be. You might want to try wireless on your Roku too just to see on 5Ghz what the bottleneck point is.

Edited by speechles

RokuGuys
53 minutes ago, ebr said:

Are you looking at the transcoding speed?  That isn't what we're talking about when we ask about the bitrate setting.

The Roku device is only rated to up to 40Mb/s so you are probably fighting a losing battle with a 100mb/s item.

No the bit rate. It showed as 4mbs when I started the clip, then it gradually started increasing and finally reached 80mbs at some point of the clip. if Roku supports only up to 40Mb/s, how does the bitrate show as 80Mbs? It has to be 100Mbs I think.IMG_0786.thumb.JPG.58872e51771449fdf193cfa3144e1ac2.JPGIMG_0787.thumb.JPG.4fe84b672f366db1f1666f406919dc0d.JPGIMG_0788.thumb.JPG.66a1b855f27af70e1ccc65fc151ae8b2.JPG

RokuGuys
1 hour ago, speechles said:

Depending on chipset(RokuTV vs RokuSTB vs RokuStick) it can affect speed. Stick is usually worst. Roku TV second to worst. Roku STB is your best bet for fastest WiFi especially Roku Ultra. You might get faster speed on WiFi than Ethernet. WiFi has a faster protocol but might suffer packet loss. That packet loss might be worse than the Ethernet but you might get better speed on WiFi. Especially with 5Ghz you can get faster. But theoretically you can get faster. With interference and the way the real world works the wire might be better than wireless or it might not be. You might want to try wireless on your Roku too just to see on 5Ghz what the bottleneck point is.

I tried wireless without any luck. I believe its Roku that limits the speed. May have to confirm with the tech support.

Edited by RokuGuys

RokuGuys

Perhaps we need to add priority for EAC3 above AC3 when supported. That would allow 640 kilobit rather than 480. That extra is the difference where they can fit in things. We can look at giving EAC3 priority (list it first) when detected rather than AC3. AC3 would be the (secondary) fallback codec when both are detected EAC3 and AC3. We can have this happen and correct the problem.

@RokuGuys At Emby we detect everything from your device automatically. We live by the "kiss" principle. The less users need to do in order to just press play is the goal. Our philipsophy is your media your way and you just press play. Rather than make you learn all these "advanced" settings we try to make a rule that each setting must have a purpose and clearly be a reason it exists and won't cause confusion .. or it isn't there... it won't make it as a setting on the Roku. There is not an Atmos option because this is auto-detected and applied. Everything that can be automated has been. The times where users need more control we allow that through settings. But some settings are not there because they do not need to be such as Atmos. Does that help explain?

Yes it does, thanks for the explanation. :)

Based on Roku community site - "Dolby Atmos is supported by the Dolby EC-3 codec (also known as Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby E-AC-3) and is available from Roku on apps such as VUDU, Prime Video, and Movies Anywhere.  Netflix and Apple TV use the EC-3 codec, but do not support Atmos as this time."

Maybe I phrased it wrong earlier. My question I intended to ask was 'Plex detects Atmos and pass through to my AVR when I select EAC3 audio. But Emby doesn't. Instead I see it as DD+ on my receiver.So is that functionality not supported yet?'

Edited by RokuGuys

I believe its Roku that limits the speed. May have to confirm with the tech support.

Hi.  We showed above where the specs for the device are only up to 40Mb/s (if HEVC) and 30 if h.264.  That is what tech support will tell you as well.

We default to 80 in our app and, usually, you can get away with that on the better Roku hardware.

Happy2Play

Another questionable support would be 3840x2160 in h264 as the chart actually limits h264 to 1080p.

Ethernet will not exceed 100Mb but Wifi can on AC.

Edited by Happy2Play

Yes it does, thanks for the explanation. :)

Based on Roku community site - "Dolby Atmos is supported by the Dolby EC-3 codec (also known as Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby E-AC-3) and is available from Roku on apps such as VUDU, Prime Video, and Movies Anywhere.  Netflix and Apple TV use the EC-3 codec, but do not support Atmos as this time."

Maybe I phrased it wrong earlier. My question I intended to ask was 'Plex detects Atmos and pass through to my AVR when I select EAC3 audio. But Emby doesn't. Instead I see it as DD+ on my receiver.So is that functionality not supported yet?'

Make sure you select the "EAC3" stream within Emby and it isn't transcoding the TrueHD->AC3. Since it shows DD+ that means the Atmos data is missing. If the audio is copied it should still contain that data. If the audio is transcoded it most certainly will lose it.

RokuGuys

Make sure you select the "EAC3" stream within Emby and it isn't transcoding the TrueHD->AC3. Since it shows DD+ that means the Atmos data is missing. If the audio is copied it should still contain that data. If the audio is transcoded it most certainly will lose it.

Ok So I figured it out. There are three tracks. TrueHD, EAC3 and AC3. The first two  plays the main audio and the last track(AC3) is a companion track. It plays a male voice stating This is the companion track and not the Atmos track, set your player to bitstream out and connect to Atmos enabled receiver.

Both Plex and VLC (win10) plays the TrueHD and EAC3 correctly(Atmos track). But Emby mixes up EAC3 and AC3. I get Atmos under AC3 and companion track under EAC3 through Emby. (It should be the other way).

Plex /VLC  - EAC3 plays Atmos, AC3 plays companion track

Emby -   EAC3 plays companion track, AC3 plays Atmos

11 hours ago, RokuGuys said:

Ok So I figured it out. There are three tracks. TrueHD, EAC3 and AC3. The first two  plays the main audio and the last track(AC3) is a companion track. It plays a male voice stating This is the companion track and not the Atmos track, set your player to bitstream out and connect to Atmos enabled receiver.

Both Plex and VLC (win10) plays the TrueHD and EAC3 correctly(Atmos track). But Emby mixes up EAC3 and AC3. I get Atmos under AC3 and companion track under EAC3 through Emby. (It should be the other way).

Plex /VLC  - EAC3 plays Atmos, AC3 plays companion track

Emby -   EAC3 plays companion track, AC3 plays Atmos

Hi.  Can you show us the exact track selections in the Roku app?

When you choose that AC3 to play (on Emby) it shows ATMOS on your receiver? Is that what you mean? Then Play the EAC3 and it says companion track.

Then on Plex it is showing ATMOS when you choose the EAC3. But the AC3 says companion track?

Do you have a link to that file somewhere so that I can test this? Thanks. :)

RokuGuys
5 minutes ago, speechles said:

When you choose that AC3 to play (on Emby) it shows ATMOS on your receiver? Is that what you mean? Then Play the EAC3 and it says companion track.

Then on Plex it is showing ATMOS when you choose the EAC3. But the AC3 says companion track?

Do you have a link to that file somewhere so that I can test this? Thanks. :)

Exactly. Let me see if I can find the file somewhere.