4.5.0.50 Reboot Bug??

troyhough

troyhough

Got a notification for a server upgrade this morning so I ran it. I tried the "restart" function via both the Chrome Android web version (4.4.3.48) and the Android app (3.1.38) and neither worked on 4.5.0.50. If I right-click Emby in the system tray from the server itself and choose 'restart' it works as it's supposed to.

Edited by troyhough
  • Like 1

troyhough

Chrome Emby Web dashboard via PC (not Android) does work while the others previously mentioned do not.

In a loop. Keeps saying upgrading, restart Emby server. I restart both from Chrome or directly from server tray icon. It will not upgrade.

stays on 4.3.0.26 asking to restart.

• Like 1

Happy2Play

Have you tried Shutting down Emby and relaunching, instead of Restarting for the update?  If you get stuck in a updating restart loop, it usually means something is holding the Emby system folder and it can not be replaced in the update process.

5 minutes ago, CaleyD said:

In a loop. Keeps saying upgrading, restart Emby server. I restart both from Chrome or directly from server tray icon. It will not upgrade.

stays on 4.3.0.26 asking to restart.

Hi, try shutting down the server, then installing the latest version from the website. Please see if that helps. Thanks.

34 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, try shutting down the server, then installing the latest version from the website. Please see if that helps. Thanks.

Thanks. That worked!

The new black theme finally is not super black and flat black anymore!!

Now the color is not plain and looks amazing in contrast the artworks and navigation

Thank you, now it looks elegant and not hard to see to my eyes

Is already in the apps?

Thanks

3 hours ago, Zodler said:

I confirm. There is a new bug. The server does not upgrade automatically like before. It stays in an infinite download/restart loop.

It's not new, it's an irritating bug that has been around for many years. 

Try shutting down Emby server, then closing any browsers you have open, then just start Emby again. 

It worked earlier for me. 

1 minute ago, CBers said:

t's not new, it's an irritating bug that has been around for many years.

A simple machine restart will clear this up 99% of the time.  This isn't really a bug but we could probably detect and handle the situation better. 

2 minutes ago, ebr said:

A simple machine restart will clear this up 99% of the time.  This isn't really a bug but we could probably detect and handle the situation better. 

Correct. Just stating that it has been around a long time and wasn't new. 

A reboot should be the last resort, especially if you have other services running on the same server, such as pfSense, as I do. 

Edited by CBers

It happened before, yes but not recently. Recently it was updating automatically with no problem. I did all the necessary things (except restarting PC). Finally I did it manually.

Well, I'll throw in my "me too" post.  So far I've tried shutting down the server and restarting it from scratch, restarting in the web app and restarting through the systray icon. Nothing seems to work as of yet.  I'm leary of installing from the website because I fear data could be lost?  Not keen on a reboot of my computer at this point neither. 

Hi, No fear about using the version off the website.  Just use the correct version.  IE don't use portable if you aren't running it portable. Even then it wouldn't overwrite your existing setup but would install to a different place.

This might not be everyone's issue but here is/was mine.  Whatever had happened, Chrome was unable to create any new explorer dialogs so I couldn't download the server upgrade package that way.  I shut down Chrome and Emby and went to Task Manager to wait for Chrome to finish its cleanup.  It never did and Emby was still there as well.  When trying to kill the task of either of these I got an "Access is Denied" error.  I tried hard to avoid a reboot but it looks like I was stuck otherwise so I saved everything and chose for Windows to restart.  It didn't.  Just hung there waiting for something that still had control.  I finally had to do a hard boot and do a re-install from the website.  Worse of this is, none of my tabs in Chrome were saved and not sure how/if this is connected, but I had a text file that I saved that is now truncated and I lost a lot of notes in it.  Emby might not be responsible for all of this but never had issues like this before.  Not real encouraging.

homelabsol

I installed the update 4.5.0.50 from the browser, however, after the version upgrade, my connection outside suddenly not working anymore though the internal connection was still working. No changes from my network, i just updated my emby to a newer version. I restored my previous snapshot before the version upgrade and my outside connection gets back again. It seems the problem is the version upgrade. Do you have any suggestion on how to deal with this issue?

3 minutes ago, homelabsol said:

I installed the update 4.5.0.50 from the browser, however, after the version upgrade, my connection outside suddenly not working anymore though the internal connection was still working. No changes from my network, i just updated my emby to a newer version. I restored my previous snapshot before the version upgrade and my outside connection gets back again. It seems the problem is the version upgrade. Do you have any suggestion on how to deal with this issue?

Hi, what happens when you try to connect?

homelabsol

something like network error. I will try to upgrade again later and capture the error. By the way, i restarted the emby apps after the upgrade, however, still no good. I rebooted the server, but still no good. :( :( I haven't experienced this before everytime i upgrade it to a newer version. This is first :) 

1 minute ago, homelabsol said:

something like network error. I will try to upgrade again later and capture the error. By the way, i restarted the emby apps after the upgrade, however, still no good. I rebooted the server, but still no good. :( :( I haven't experienced this before everytime i upgrade it to a newer version. This is first :) 

Are you running a reverse proxy? It will probably be related to your configuration of that.

40 minutes ago, homelabsol said:

No. Its just plain network setup. No special configuration or application attached to it.

Ok yes please let me know the exact error that you see. Thanks.

Hi.  Check your firewall rules.  Many times when a program updates the rules will be automatically changed back to defaults.