Auto Quality

Shidapu

Just wondering why most of my clients are capped at 8Mbit with Auto Quality Setting? My upload is 250Mbit. XD

Quality looks like crap at that speed on most stuff, and most of my users don't even understand how to increase the quality setting.. 

Happy2Play

What client/app?

Can you provide Server and ffmpeg logs.

You are lucky as all other topics users have issues with auto giving 1.5 to 3mbps or even less.  But Auto will probably always be more conservative then the user will want.  I personally set all app/clients to Max and throttle users via internet streaming limits.

Edited by Happy2Play

22 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

What client/app?

Can you provide Server and ffmpeg logs.

You are lucky as all other topics users have issues with auto giving 1.5 to 3mbps or even less.  But Auto will probably always be more conservative then the user will want.  I personally set all app/clients to Max and throttle users via internet streaming limits.

Can't provide logs right now, but will tomorrow if it helps. 

I've seen speeds of that calibre, but mostly they are above that, at around 6-8Mbit.

In settings -> Network , I've set unlimited.

In Settings -> Transcoding , I've set H264 to medium 

CRF 23

And in every user profile, I've set max 2 streams per user, and capped at 20Mbit per user.

So far it has worked ok, though I have to tell all users with IPTV to activate Direct Streaming of IPTV in their settings, and also increase quality to max to solve Buffering issues. 

If IPTV is Transcoding the buffering is a pain.

rbjtech

CRF 23 on Medium Preset will try and balance speed of conversions - by saving bit's (ie compressing) while keeping the quality constant (that's the CRF part).

If you don't particularly care about upload bandwidth (which I presume you don't with a 250 Mbit upload !) then SPEED UP the Preset (use fast/very fast/super fast etc) and effectively ask ffmpeg to ignore trying to save bits, and just keep the quality - or even raise it if you like (by LOWERING the CRF value to 22 or 21. )

You will then find it will try and grab as much upload bandwidth as it can - with superfast, it will likely grab everything you can give it on a high bitrate original.

The added bonus is it will reduce your CPU load considerably, as it is not having to compress the data.

Keep in mind conversion is a one time event per file so if you use fast vs medium you're giving up storage space and will require more bandwidth to transmit the files normally.

Medium IMHO is what should be used.

13 hours ago, rbjtech said:

CRF 23 on Medium Preset will try and balance speed of conversions - by saving bit's (ie compressing) while keeping the quality constant (that's the CRF part).

If you don't particularly care about upload bandwidth (which I presume you don't with a 250 Mbit upload !) then SPEED UP the Preset (use fast/very fast/super fast etc) and effectively ask ffmpeg to ignore trying to save bits, and just keep the quality - or even raise it if you like (by LOWERING the CRF value to 22 or 21. )

You will then find it will try and grab as much upload bandwidth as it can - with superfast, it will likely grab everything you can give it on a high bitrate original.

The added bonus is it will reduce your CPU load considerably, as it is not having to compress the data.

12 hours ago, cayars said:

Keep in mind conversion is a one time event per file so if you use fast vs medium you're giving up storage space and will require more bandwidth to transmit the files normally.

Medium IMHO is what should be used.

Thanks to both of you for the insight. 

I will try superfast preset at CRF 22, and check the speeds and ask my users for input.

I'd like a little headroom on the total upload bandwidth, as I'm downloading sometimes aswel, shouldn't be to bad with full duplex fibre connection, the only problem I have is the VPN box I use don't have QoS, so traffic congestion could be a problem.

We'll see, I'll report back.

Just reporting back. With Super fast and CRF at 22, it works really good. Direct Streaming almost everything, and the clients that cant, will transcode.

My Upload has never gone above 50Mbit so far.

Edited by Shidapu
  • Like 1