Question on Synology NAS

OSBuckeyes4Life

OSBuckeyes4Life

I just wanted to ask as I don't know what would be better to run Emby statistical wise.  I have a Alienware R4 Aurora running the following:

Intel (6 core) i7-7800X @ 3.50GHz (12 Logical Processers) and I have a 1080ti that helps with the hardware decoder.

I was thinking about buying the following Synology since it really is the closest thing to my PC but I didn't know if the Transcoding would be the same or better without the TI.  Any recommendations?  Mainly I would love to have Emby in a Docker Instance and not on my windows PC.  I do have a Synology 1815+ currently but Emby is awful on that.  

https://www.synology.com/en-global/products/RS4017xs+

Edited by schoepp23

PenkethBoy

its a zeon - 99% sure it will not have quicksync - so no graphic card for HW acceleration - inless you add one

would be fine for storage although for the average user well over specified

if you just need storage space then a soho nas would be cheaper etc etc as you already have

Some NAS have expansion slots you could put a GPU in - but watch out for power requirements as you could overlload the nas PSU witha 1080TI

you pc is much better specified for emby than the NAS you suggested

OSBuckeyes4Life

Perfect, I thought so but I wanted to check.  Alienware has just weird things that tick me off.  The issues with the restarts and not reconnecting, then there was the threads stopping the Network Drive and every once in awhile an issue with.... Well it's all good.  I appreciate the feedback.

OSBuckeyes4Life

Oh no, it is running amazing and I am currently having none of those issues, fixed them all.  Just looking at other options :)

charlyc11
On 9/21/2020 at 9:06 AM, schoepp23 said:

I just wanted to ask as I don't know what would be better to run Emby statistical wise.  I have a Alienware R4 Aurora running the following:

Intel (6 core) i7-7800X @ 3.50GHz (12 Logical Processers) and I have a 1080ti that helps with the hardware decoder.

I was thinking about buying the following Synology since it really is the closest thing to my PC but I didn't know if the Transcoding would be the same or better without the TI.  Any recommendations?  Mainly I would love to have Emby in a Docker Instance and not on my windows PC.  I do have a Synology 1815+ currently but Emby is awful on that.  

https://www.synology.com/en-global/products/RS4017xs+

Over kill you can supply the neighborhood with free media. :)

Seriously I bought a Synology DS720+ with hardware transcoding added  2 x 4 Terabyte drives. Works like a charm.

Edited by charlyc11
  • Like 1