Migrate from QNAP to WIndows server

CHA0SENG7NE

CHA0SENG7NE

Hi

Is it possible to migrate my qnap emby server to a windows PC server version ? I have been using it on the qnap for several months now and I have it setup just as i like so dont want to start fresh if i can help it.

This is purely because the hardware has more grunt for encoding and the pc is always on anyway.

Qnap n3150 quad core 8gb ram vs pc i7 6700t quad core 16gb ram

Would you recommend ths as a good move?

Any help would be appreciated if so.

Thanks

PenkethBoy

i have the same processors in my qnap and PC

The answer as always is - depends

Give us a clue why? what features are slow? etc etc what are you wanting other than it being quicker.

What clients are you using/going to use - and do they require transcoding? Any remote users? 

do you have premiere?

how is the media going to be accessed from the pc?

what if any metadata changes have you made to the "default" downloaded values?

are you saving to the item folder images and nfo's?

All the above and more will influence the decision.

You can more some of the setup across but there are limitations .....

So as i said depends :) 

CHA0SENG7NE

I have found it can be slow sometimes. Im not sure why it has to re-encode say a 1080p x264 DTS file to play on emby theatre in a PC with AMD 3900x and 2070 super g.card???

To be honest i thought it would be logical to have the server  run on a far more powerful PC. 99% of the time its faultless running on qnap (TS-653A) but I just though it might be worth the transition?

I use 3 Nvidia Shields and my mobile phones oneplus 7 pro's - 2 family members use remote on nvidia shields

I have premiere

The media will be accessed via gigabit ethernet. everything i use for media straming is gigabit ethernet, apart from phones obviously.

I save all images and nfo's into the media folder

what if any metadata changes have you made to the "default" downloaded values? - not sure what you mean? sorry

I hope that helps

PenkethBoy

The 653A will be fine provided you dont have clients that require any remux/trancoding - then it will struggle to a greater or lesser extent.

If all clients can direct play then you should be fine - but remote users are likley to cause thing to slow down

The simplest things as you have not had the server setup for long is - install the backup config plugin - and make sure that works fine

that will allow you to restore users, and some basic info BUT all the paths to items has to change as different os - eg library paths etc etc 

I assume you are going to map the network drives to the NAS to provide the data to the pc emby server - although this occationally causes problems as some drives go offline and emby will deltete the items from its db

If it was me - i would start from scratch with the pc - keep the NAS working to compare your setup so you have the same config/use as a reference - wait for the pc emby to do its thing in finding everything - restore users and watched status - if that works out ok then you can delete the emby server from you NAS and just use it as a file store  etc

I would read up and search for more detailled posts where people have had problems/success and how they did it etc

One thing yes the pc will be quicker as has a better CPU - and will generally be quicker at all things - also you can use quicksync to speed up any transcodes needed which although avaialble for the 3150 is in comparison limited as is the cpu - but absolutely fine for basic file server requirements.

re metadata - if you have edited any for movie x or y and you have nfo's then these should be read by the pc emby when it scans the library finding the items for the first time.

CHA0SENG7NE

Thanks for the info. Ill try your suggestion of fresh install and basically clone what i have now on the pc.

I have installed the backup plugin and made a backup, silly question how do you restore from a backup? I dont see an option or is this a manual copy over?

I will use the standard ip address for finding the data. That is always solid and doesnt fail on the pc.

I can just turn off the qnap server and if all else fails turn it on again.

Its worth a try. 

So if i want to restore the users how do I transfer the info?

Thanks

CHA0SENG7NE

Hi

So just a quick update. I had initially setup my qnap movie, TV show locations etc directly on the qnap.. ie sharedata/multimedia/ moves.

Something like that. But when I migrated to windows using the backup which I understand how to work it obviously caused library issues. So I changed the location of the media on the qnap server to \\192.168.0.160\Multimedia\Movies etc...

Then I tried the backup again on the windows server. It worked! Restored the library and my brother (remote) watch states when I logged in locally.

So using the emby app at home for Nvidia shield, pc emby theatre or on a  web browser kicks ass. Much faster. Just better.

Apart from.... I cannot connect unless I'm on the local network. No remote access at all.

Any guidance would be appreciated. I'm a little lost what to do...

Thanks

CHA0SENG7NE

Hi Carlo

Thanks for the info. I followed the guide and I had to port forward on my router and add a setting in my Norton antivirus. Its working on my phone using mobile data.

I never had to do this whilst it was running on the qnap.

So far I think it is working now. Ill keep testing and get my brother to try and remote.

Is it possible to cyberghost vpn and emby at the same time for remote connections?

Thanks in advance

Glad you got it working.

For Emby to work through a public VPN you need to be using a provider that allows you to get an IP/port reserved for your use.  Many due this.

If you go this route you HAVE to set Emby up to use the public IP they gave you and the port as well.  Now Emby will respond to requests with the proper IP and port.

If you don't want EMBY behind the VPN but want other software on the same computer to use the VPN you use a feature called SPLIT TUNNEL from the VPN provider which most have.  Set Emby to not use the VPN while everything else does use it.

Hope that helps,

Carlo

CHA0SENG7NE

Thanks Carlo. I'm pretty happy I'm at this point and it's working. All of my watched states are correct. Tomorrow I'll test my brother remote connection.

I will start using the info you have given me to try and find out if I can use a split tunnel. I think that's the best option for me. Hopefully cyberghost uses this option.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Andy

You can do it with Cyberghost but it's not the easiest.  Some providers make it point and click easy but last I saw Cyberghost has you do a bit of setup to get it done.

I can help you if needed.

Come back to VPN in a week or so to make sure Emby is running perfectly remotely first.

CHA0SENG7NE

I think that's a very wise suggestion. I'll keep testing without VPN until I'm completely happy the server is working remotely and at home. 

I have had a quick go at trying to get it to work but no luck. I think I will be asking for some help 😃

On a positive the i6700t processor has made the user experience so much better. The qnap n3150 processor can have a rest.

So far the files that would struggle just transcode very quickly playback is smooth. I still don't understand why x265 video codec isnt supported in Emby theater on a 3900x amd processor and 2070 super g.card in windows.

Something else to work out.....

Thanks Carlo

Emby theater can handle h.265 no problem.  But start a thread just for this in the Theater section for help. :)

CHA0SENG7NE

Quick update

I have tried watching a large 60gb 4k movie and I'm now suffering from pauses every 7 secs approx. Everything is connected on wired gigabit. Qnap server to router then router to switch. Windows emby server and Nvidia shield plugged into switch.

Any ideas why I am getting stutter now?

Smaller files play fine.

4k file is direct streaming.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
CHA0SENG7NE
On 22/09/2020 at 23:12, cayars said:

You can do it with Cyberghost but it's not the easiest.  Some providers make it point and click easy but last I saw Cyberghost has you do a bit of setup to get it done.

I can help you if needed.

Come back to VPN in a week or so to make sure Emby is running perfectly remotely first.

Hey @cayars

Can I ask for some help with cyberghost split tunnelling please :) if you have time

Sure thing, send me a PM and we can setup a remote session and knock this out for you.