TV app - language menu for subtitle download option

abescalamis

abescalamis

Downloading subtitles in the TV app is very annoying, you have move one by one until you go to the language you are looking for and in the TV the switching interface is very slow.

wanted to suggest a better way to display the language menu for the TV app, because you use a tv controller and there is no scrolling.

I did an example for a better understanding, in the preferred part I put the languages that are set in the server to automatically download.

Screenshot_20200919-100144_Photos.thumb.jpg.1da7153c86605f5aa68cf7016088c2ab.jpg

When I want to download subtitles I avoid the TV app, I rather use the phone or the Ipad because unlike the TV app, you can scroll fast and go directly to the language you want.

Edited by abescalamis
  • Like 6
  • Agree 2

Yes, navigating long lists with only linear navigation (a remote control) can be problematic.  That is why we don't always have a lot of administrative tasks in the TV UI.  However, I think this suggestion is useful throughout the system.

Where, again are your "preferred" languages coming from?

abescalamis
2 hours ago, ebr said:

Yes, navigating long lists with only linear navigation (a remote control) can be problematic.  That is why we don't always have a lot of administrative tasks in the TV UI.  However, I think this suggestion is useful throughout the system.

Where, again are your "preferred" languages coming from?

In my example, for the "preferred" I used the same languages that I have set in library for automatic subtitle download---> English, spanish, Italian.

Here

Screenshot_20200919-151634_Emby.thumb.jpg.5d98943053e36ada0dd9f5e1fbd3d5da.jpg

Screenshot_20200919-151653_Emby.thumb.jpg.11fc4cd71c99b8e7b490d9ac4c0b2b25.jpg

Edited by abescalamis

Okay, that's an interesting idea but perhaps it would just be better if we remembered ones you chose previously because you may automatically download a certain set but manually look for others.  The very first time you'd have to scroll the list but, after that, the ones you chose would be right there.

• Thanks 1

abescalamis
4 hours ago, ebr said:

Okay, that's an interesting idea but perhaps it would just be better if we remembered ones you chose previously because you may automatically download a certain set but manually look for others.  The very first time you'd have to scroll the list but, after that, the ones you chose would be right there.

I love it.

• 1 month later...

I'd imagine that most people would only ever want the same one language, I'd rather have just the one language I always want (English) as the only option on the list and have the setting somewhere else where users can select the language options they want listed.  If that's too difficult, at least have the preferred one at the top. 

• 5 months later...
hErEsy

my 5 Cents, if I may..

It would be cool to have a check credentials details against the site button for the opensubs account. I had wrong details in and no dl would happen .... guess how long it took for me to realize ;)

Edited by hErEsy

1 minute ago, hErEsy said:

my 5 Cents, if I may..

It would be cool to have a check credentials details against the site button for the opensubs account. I had wrong details in and no dl would happen .... guess how long it took for me to realize ;)

Hi, yes that part of the workflow needs to be improved. Thanks for the feedback.

• 1 year later...

This is the one feature that I'm looking forward to being solved the most. It's super annoying, not only because of the long scrolling itself, but also because my wife will hound me about it when she's watching her shows. Sometimes the downloaded subtitle will not match the media content, and for some reason she doesn't have much sympathy for my explanation that the Emby team has a lot of other difficult things to solve, but I'm sure they'll find a solution eventually! 😂

• Agree 1

• 4 months later...
Paxtor
sorry I didn't see this topic

HI,

I have one suggestion...
While watching a movie, and when you want to search for the subtitle language, all language countries are always displayed in the search.
This is a very annoying and time-consuming search for subtitles.

Can you give option to filter languages for subtitles in main settings?
for example, I mark two languages (Englisch and Germany) and while watching a movie, when I choose to search for subtitles language, only those two languages are displayed, which I can mark in the main settings.
Can you do it?

• 5 months later...
Iversennn

Hi,
1+ for me also.

This would be very handy.
I’m from Norway, so the languages i preferably search through are: English, Norwegian, Swedish, and Danish. I then must scroll up and down every time i don’t find a subtitle in my native language.

• 6 months later...

+1

By the way, on my LG TV, I can use Channel Up Down button to scroll through the list, a little bit quicker than going down one by one.

But the long list is still annoying :)

Edited by dnta84