Nvidia Shield TV Pro 4K Movie Freezes TRUEHD 7.1

JulesC

@FrostByte @sooty234 

I found this device which promises to solve all Atmos problems for any TV that does not support eARC.  The eARC adapter (Arcana) sits between TV and sources and sends full audio up to Dolby Atmos TrueHD from any external HDMI source to any eARC sound system (such as Sonos Arc, Bose 500/700).

https://hdfury.com/product/4k-arcana-18gbps/

Thoughts?

Sorry - I posted this before I saw your new responses. Definitely gives me an option to consider. 

Edited by JulesC

rbjtech

If starting to think about adding these type of devices at those prices (😲) - then personally I would rather invest in a half decent Receiver (such as the Denon 1600-X) and a 'proper' speaker setup - you then get all the benefits of playing ALL sound formats (including DTS, DTS-HD, DTS-X) and the ability to plug in multiple HDMI sources.  Plus of course it looks the business vs an ugly 'box' and you will blow away any soundbar from a sound positioning (and likely quality) point of view.   

Again my personal opinion, but I think the idea of uncompressed audio to either TV speakers or a soundbar will simply not be noticed.  True-HD Atmos vs EAC3 Atmos is 'just noticeable' on some tracks on my Receiver/Speaker system - it's not in sound 'quality' but in sound 'stage/separation'.   DTS-X is imo superior to even True-HD Atmos and this is not available on compressed formats nor is it available on many of the newest Samsung or LG TV's, nor Sonos soundbars - so another plus for a proper Receiver.

• Like 2

FrostByte

Agree with rbjtech.  That HDFury isn't exactly cheap.  Though that money could also go toward a decent Samsung soundbar with rear speakers that supports both TrueHD Atmos and DTS:X plus have 1 or 2 HDMI inputs if you can't get the receiver.  The HDFury almost seems to be like adding a bandaid which may not solve all the issues with your current soundbar.

• Like 1

Thanks for everyone's input, it's greatly appreciated. I've decided to give the HDFury Arcana a test drive with my Sonos Arc Soundbar, Nvidia Shield TV Pro & Samsung TV with no eARC port.

If anyone's interested, I'll report back my learning's.

If anyone is trying the HDFury, here is a helpful link: 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
morallydubious
On 9/20/2020 at 1:35 PM, FrostByte said:

If your soundbar doesn't have an HDMI input then it won't work like mine is setup.  I think all Samsung soundbars have at least 1 input as well as the output.  My Q90 soundbar has 2 HDMI input so the SHield is in 1 and XBX1 in the other so I can get TrueHD with both and the soundbar passes video to the TV thru the output.  

Think I read somewhere on Avsforum that there were a few 2019 premium sets (probably the 8K ones) TVs and 2020 premium sets which either came with HDMI 2.1 or where getting a firmware update to 2.1

@FrostByte Sorry for resurrecting this but how did you get this work?

I have Shield -> hdfury -> Q90R soundbar

-> LG C8 OLED

When using emby the server will transcode TrueHD 7.1 audio

The same setup but using Plex works, with the Q90R recognising ATMOS

Regards