Nvidia Shield TV Pro 4K Movie Freezes TRUEHD 7.1

JulesC

When I try to play my 4K HEVC movies (Remux with MakeMKV) with TrueHD 7.1 on my new Nvidia Shield TV Pro they freeze after the first couple of minutes. When I downgrade the audio to "AC3 5.1" it plays fine. How can I get this to work with TrueHD 7.1?

Here is my setup: Nvidia Shield TV Pro --> Samsung 4K Smart TV (HDMI) --> Sonos Arc Sound Bar (HDMI ARC) - using highspeed HDMI cables

I've attached my server logs. Please let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks for your help.

embyserver.txt ffmpeg-remux-b08c586a-2858-4e16-959d-76623c9fd8b5_1.txt ffmpeg-remux-9053a386-0fc0-47d5-b0c7-86e9997eca5d_1.txt

Edited by JulesC

You TV have support for TrueHD 7.1?

If not, you have a problem and could be a problem with the decoder on your server

To play direct TrueHD 7.1 you will need a device that support TrueHD 7.1. 

IF the TV do not support TrueHD 7.1

The right way to connect your rig will be:

NvidiaShield----> (Receiver, soundbar, "TV" or any device able to handle TrueHD 7.1) ---->TV

(Receiver, soundbar, "TV" or any device able to handle TrueHD 7.1) features needed: input and output able to handle TrueHD 7.1

Edited by Riggs

Just now, sooty234 said:

ARC doesn't support HD audio. It's on par with optical. You need eARC or just connect directly and don't use ARC.

You right

3 hours ago, sooty234 said:

ARC doesn't support HD audio. It's on par with optical. You need eARC or just connect directly and don't use ARC.

According to Sonos.com: "Sonos Arc supports playback of Dolby Atmos audio via Dolby Digital Plus or Dolby TrueHD. Sonos Arc must be connected to HDMI ARC or HDMI eARC to play any Dolby Atmos content." 

This is why I have my Sonos Arc Soundbar connected into the HDMI ARC.  Other thoughts?

Nothing in that statement is technically incorrect, I just think they just conveniently left out the additional sentence of "Sonos Arc must be connected to HDMI eARC (or to the sending device directly) to support TrueHD".

If you can connect Shield->Sonos->TV then that may work.  But I don't know how much difference you're going to hear on a soundbar anyway...

• Like 2

FrostByte

I'm with ebr on the first part.  It's all on how you read it.  You need eARC to get TrueHD though.

However, if you can't tell the difference between TrueHD Atmos 7.1.4 and AC3 5.1.0 then you may have the wrong soundbar :)

1 minute ago, FrostByte said:

I'm with ebr on the first part.  It's all on how you read it.  You need eARC to get TrueHD though.

However, if you can't tell the difference between TrueHD Atmos 7.1.4 and AC3 5.1.0 then you may have the wrong soundbar :)

@FrostByte I know the difference between TrueHD Atmos 7.1 vs AC3 because of my friends home theatre setup, it sounds amazing. My Samsung 4K TV only has a HDMI ARC input, so I'm assuming that based on your response, I can't get TrueHD Atmos 7.1 to work on my setup.  If so, UGH!

• Like 1

sooty234
1 minute ago, JulesC said:

@FrostByte I know the difference between TrueHD Atmos 7.1 vs AC3 because of my friends home theatre setup, it sounds amazing. My Samsung 4K TV only has a HDMI ARC input, so I'm assuming that based on your response, I can't get TrueHD Atmos 7.1 to work on my setup.  If so, UGH!

Just connect directly to the sonos. Why use ARC at all?

• Like 1

FrostByte
1 minute ago, JulesC said:

lol  I'm sure you know the difference.  That was meant for the other guy who said it ;)

FrostByte

I have a Samsung TV with no eARC also and the only way I can get TrueHD Atmos is by hooking it up the way the others have mentioned.

Shield >>>  Soundbar >>> TV

However, for that to be a viable solution your soundbar also has to passthrough HDR.  Not all soundbars do.  Otherwise your trading TrueHD for HDR.  

arrbee99

I've been discovering a bit about this recently, thanks to some of the folks here. Does it matter at all that you need eArc for TrueHD, but you can still get Atmos via lossy Dolby Digital Plus.

I still haven't got round to moving to Shield > Soundbar > TV from Shield > TV > Soundbar, but with the existing setup I can get Atmos to Trigger, at least for Demo Atmos clips, and it sounds pretty good to me.

sooty234
1 minute ago, arrbee99 said:

I've been discovering a bit about this recently, thanks to some of the folks here. Does it matter at all that you need eArc for TrueHD, but you can still get Atmos via lossy Dolby Digital Plus.

I still haven't got round to moving to Shield > Soundbar > TV from Shield > TV > Soundbar, but with the existing setup I can get Atmos to Trigger, at least for Demo Atmos clips, and it sounds pretty good to me.

I doubt that you could tell the difference between EAC3 + Atmos and TrueHD + Atmos. I have a system of 7.1.2 with full range floor standing and book shelf speakers, and I can't tell the difference.

FrostByte

I've got the Aquaman 4K disc which has a DD+ 7.1 with Atmos and @1536 bitrate track which doesn't sound bad at all.   I use it as my alternate audio track when using the Samsung app.  There is a difference between DD+ created with Dolby professional tools and the DD+ you make from ffmpeg though

arrbee99

So I guess there might be a tiny difference, but you're unlikely to notice unless you sit there and analyse it.

Was also suggesting to the OP that not having TrueHD isn't a biggie if you can still have the lossy version (though I don't think the OP does have the lossy version).

Anyway, has anyone tried playing with the settings in the ATV app on the Shield regarding the setting for how to play TrueHD (can't remember the exact wording though) and would it be worth a try.

4 hours ago, FrostByte said:

I have a Samsung TV with no eARC also and the only way I can get TrueHD Atmos is by hooking it up the way the others have mentioned.

However, for that to be a viable solution your soundbar also has to passthrough HDR.  Not all soundbars do.  Otherwise your trading TrueHD for HDR.  

In that case an HDMI splitter can often be used for the best of both worlds.

What bugs me in our "budget" world is that manufactures compromise a high end TV because it will cost $20 to $50 more in license fees. A high end 4K TV without proper audio to match picture quality just sucks on many levels!  Not everyone has a theater setup in every room they have a 4K TV.

It's one thing to have a nice audio system in the living room, but should people have to do the same in the bedroom to playback the same media?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, sooty234 said:

Just connect directly to the sonos. Why use ARC at all?

@sooty234 When I don't connect my Sonos Arc Soundbar to HDMI-ARC, it doesn't seem to play.

18 hours ago, FrostByte said:

@FrostByte  I also have a Samsung TV with no eARC. My 3 HDMI In Connections and 1 HDMI-ARC are all on the Samsung "One Connect" device vs directly on the TV. My Sonos Arc Soundbar only has one HDMI port. Sorry for this naïve question, but with the setup I just described, it's not clear how I can go "Shield TV Pro >>> Soundbar >>> TV. Am I overthinking this or missing something? I greatly appreciate your help and the help of others in this forum. Thanks to all

sooty234

Oh my! It's only got one HDMI port. Why do tech companies do stupid things like this? I guess that's why it's called ARC, because you don't have a choice. I think you're screwed @JulesC. Unless your tv has a firmware upgrade that will give you HDMI 2.1. I think my Samsung did, but I can't test it yet.

FrostByte

If your soundbar doesn't have an HDMI input then it won't work like mine is setup.  I think all Samsung soundbars have at least 1 input as well as the output.  My Q90 soundbar has 2 HDMI input so the SHield is in 1 and XBX1 in the other so I can get TrueHD with both and the soundbar passes video to the TV thru the output.  

Think I read somewhere on Avsforum that there were a few 2019 premium sets (probably the 8K ones) TVs and 2020 premium sets which either came with HDMI 2.1 or where getting a firmware update to 2.1

sooty234

The HDfury is mentioned in arbee's post, too. You just have to remember that it's still only HDMI 2.0. So if you're looking for the HDMI 2.1 video experience, you won't get it. But it will give you more audio options. The price seems high for only HDMI 2.0.