Help to decide, Mi box vs Chromecast ultra

Gohlas

Hey guys,

Just need some help here to decide between these two options.

I see both supports 4K HDR hevc 10bit but my concern is mainly the audio support. I saw that the Chromecast supports only aac 2.0 not 5.1. Does it supports DD 5.1 and DTS?

The Mi Box supports DD and DTS but not sure about the AAC 5.1. Does anyone know?

Any thoughts about both?

I know about that the Nvidia shield is the best option but it's quite expensive.

Appreciate the help!

Yeah, that is not a fair comparison.  The CC is just a receiving device whereas the Mi is an entire client that can run all kinds of apps itself.  It depends on your needs but the Mi is a superior option for most.  Plus - you'll get a ChromeCast built in with the Mi.

• Like 2

You won't regret it at all. It IS a Chromecast device and so much more.

Besides being able to run apps quickly you also have voice control built in with Google Assistant so things like "What is the weather", "How is the traffic to work" plus lots more are available https://assistant.google.com/platforms/tv/ as a bonus and can even be done while watching a movie or show in Emby.

• Like 1

Junglejim

Yep for the price these are a great option! I personally don't use one (Sony TV builtin Android) but my parents have one and they do a really good job. They are WiFi only but they can do 5GHz, so if you have a decent router/modem your all good.👍

• Like 1

Junglejim
11 minutes ago, cayars said:

You can plug a dongle into the USB port for Ethernet as well if needed.

Yep, If you have high bitrate 4k videos, this is the way.. 🙂

Great little device for the price!

• Like 2

Junglejim

Not everyone has the budget for that! Plus the Nvidia Shield is primarily a gaming device not a streaming device. I know it is the best option for both gaming/streaming but that's not what the OP wanted advice about!

• Like 1

Nvidia is now pushing it as a streaming device instead of Gaming (bit of a reverse) since I guess they've figured out it's no Xbox or PS. :)

But yea at 3 times the price...

• Like 1

Junglejim

Yea I hear ya! My mate has one and I was really impressed! Maybe if they dropped the gaming and dropped the price.. 🙃👍

• Like 1

Thanks @cayars and @Junglejim

Nvidia Shild is almost triple the price of Mi Box, and is much more then I need.

I will just keep the Mi Box S and you recommended.

Normally I do not have high bitrate movies, then i may be enough to use only WiFI 5GHz.

On 9/20/2020 at 6:42 AM, Junglejim said:

Yea I hear ya! My mate has one and I was really impressed! Maybe if they dropped the gaming and dropped the price.. 🙃👍

The MiBox-S is plenty good on 5 GHz and plays whatever I throw at it bitrate wise if it's the only device using 5 GHz.  The only time I've had issues is when WIFI is being heavily used for something else limiting bandwidth of the WIFI network (which makes sense).

The network dongle is just an option but normally not needed.