Considering Emby can it...

SpaceCabbi

SpaceCabbi

Greetings been using a alternative media server for years, But now i finally need to find something better.

Looking at Emby looks nice but from a technical point i have a few questions if i may.

1. Emby uses sqlite3 afaik this is really troublesome for large media servers (12TB) even with db on dedicated zfs pool no compression etc. it still is shaky at best imho, mind you this all from experience with my current server wich might be just using sqllite3 wrong not an expert on DB's. How is the performance/stability on emby with large db's, And are there alternatives mysql ?
  2. How does Emby deal with meta data ? (large directory structure ? Or more centralized)
  3. Can it handle unlisted extra's ? ea: \series\show\season 1\extra Just map and load the files matching them would be nice but since the almighty tvdb rarely matches is not a req.
  4. backup for just server/metadata not media files ?

Thanks for any input or details it would be helpful.

1: My server currently has approximately 40tb of used storage with 70+tb of available storage and no issues with the DB here.

2: When creating the library you have the option on how it handles meta data. You can store it centrally or within the individual folders

3: Never tried "extra's". It does handle specials fine and you can manually match outside of tvdb so I would assume you would be fine. Someone else may be able to chime in here.

4: With emby premiere yes you can backup just the server/metadata. Without premiere there's ways to do it within FreeNAS which involves taking snapshots of the jail, but it's more complicated than getting premiere :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SpaceCabbi said:

Can it handle unlisted extra's ? ea: \series\show\season 1\extra Just map and load the files matching them would be nice but since the almighty tvdb rarely matches is not a req.

I can confirm that emby handles extras and the metadata can be manually assigned if tvdb doesn't have it.

CFC