cropped 720p shows up as 480p only

emko

some of my video files are 720p with cropped black bars but Emby chooses it as 480p and will not let me change the quality to 720p ? so its forcing my videos to get transcoded to 480p...

Media Info

Video

Title480p H264
CodecH264
AVCYes
ProfileHigh
Level31
Resolution1248x520
Aspect Ratio2.40:1
AnamorphicNo
InterlacedNo
Framerate23.976
Bitrate3,624 kbps
Color Primariesbt709
Color Spacebt709
Color Transferbt709
Bit Depth8 bit
Pixel Formatyuv420p
Reference Frames1
NAL4

Anytime the actual video is cropped so it's below 720 it is no longer HD regardless of how it started as you have just remastered it.  HD is 720 or more pixels.

576 is a PAL format for DVR which is SD so you can see why this would cause issues.

You should rip your videos or resource them again in the proper resolution and don't crop them in any way unless you know exactly how to do this. Best to not change it at all.

Edited by cayars

13 minutes ago, cayars said:

Anytime the actual video is cropped so it's below 720 it is no longer HD

That is not strictly true as a wider aspect ratio (what I believe we are dealing with here) will be below 720.  That is why we usually key this decision on the item width instead of height and why I'm very surprised this is an issue.

Well I'll say this for TV broadcast sizes. 

SD has fixed dimensions of 720x576 pixels for PAL and 720x480 pixels for NTSC.

HD has two frame sizes – the smaller 1280x720 and the larger 1920x1080.

Thus by just about any standard you need to be 720 or higher to be considered HD.

This current chopped video sits right between PAL and NTSC video sizes for SD pretty much making it an SD video for any practical purpose. This is using the VERTICAL size which is mostly what is used to determine this.  If you look at the HORIZONTAL size it's larger than SD and would be considered HD but the vertical is what we talk about 480, 576, 720, 1080, etc So in a way it's a hybrid of the two.

I do agree with you ebr that what we call it really doesn't matter. Just guessing but I bet the storage vs display properties are different the way the encode was done and since it's not a DVD resolution the anamorphic flag isn't used properly. Handbrake is known to do this.

@emko can you provide the info for one of these file as produced by MediaInfo https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

20 minutes ago, cayars said:

This current chopped video sits right between PAL and NTSC video sizes for SD pretty much making it an SD video for any practical purpose.

It really isn't.  The pixels being shown are the exact same size and distance apart (i.e. the resolution/dpi is the same) as a 16:9 720 video.  It is just that, instead of having the extra pixels there as "black" they just aren't there.

No it does not sit in SD... its like saying its not a 4k movie because it has black bars..

so emby doesn't know that movies and shows have different aspect ratios? video is 2.40:1 ratio that shouldn't change the fact it still is 720p HD, it should not take the height as the indicator of if a video is HD or not... 

Resolution1248x520
Aspect Ratio2.40:1

take that info and you can easily figure out what resolution 720p 1080p etc it should fit its basic math,.

is there a option to at least let me to choose original resolution on playback? this video needs transcoding because of audio but i can't change it from 480p?

Happy2Play

Is Emby actually converting it to a lower quality?  Can you post the ffmpeg log.

But sounds like the same thing @ebr adjusted in CA.

22 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Is Emby actually converting it to a lower quality?  Can you post the ffmpeg log.

But sounds like the same thing @ebr adjusted in CA.

yes it is... auto is going to 480p 1mbps and only best option it gives me is 480p 4mbps

Playback info
Player: Web Video Player
Play method: Transcode
Protocol:http
Stream type:HLS
Video Info

Video resolution:640x267
Dropped frames:0
Corrupted frames:0
Transcoding Info

Video codec:H264
Audio codec:MP3
Bitrate:763 kbps
Transcoding progress:15.8%
Transcoding framerate:233 fps
Reason for transcoding:Media bitrate exceeds limit.
Original Media Info

Container:mkv
Bitrate:3.6 Mbps
Video codec:H264 High
Video bitrate:3.6 Mbps
Video framerate:23.976025 fps
Audio codec:EAC3
Audio channels:6
Audio sample rate:
48000 Hz

what do you mean by "But sounds like the same thing @ebr adjusted in CA." ?

Happy2Play
9 minutes ago, emko said:

yes it is... auto is going to 480p 1mbps and only best option it gives me is 480p 4mbps

what do you mean by "But sounds like the same thing @ebr adjusted in CA." ?

Okay so the Auto feature is being to conservative (dozens of other topic) and do to the servers interpretation of the resolution is limiting available quality.  What do you get setting it to "480p 4mbps"?  I am guessing it will not convert the video track as it is interpreting the file as 480p.

ebr adjusted CoverArt so these odd ball resolutions shows appropriate indicators

Edited by Happy2Play

7 minutes ago, cayars said:

Can you provide the MediaInfo content for this file please?

can't i have tv and phone here only.

1 minute ago, Happy2Play said:

Okay so the Auto feature is being to conservative (dozens of other topic) and do to the servers interpretation of the resolution is limiting available quality.  What do you get setting it to "480p 4mbps"?

ebr adjusted CoverArt so these odd ball resolutions shows appropriate indicators

strange....  now its showing that when i click 480p 4mbps

Player:
Web Video Player
Play method:
DirectPlay
Protocol:
http
Stream type:
Video
Video Info

Video resolution:
1248x520
Dropped frames:
Corrupted frames:

Happy2Play

Basically the Auto feature is to conservative.  Since the server thinks it is 480p media that was your limits and when you lifted the auto restrictions it allows the item to direct play.  Ideally I recommend setting all clients to max quality and if needed set internet streaming limits globally or per user on the server.

If the server interpreted that resolution as 720 it would have given 720 quality options.

Edited by Happy2Play

but what if i want to reduce the bitrate and still keep it 720p? internet here is not the best and sometimes i can not direct stream without buffering so much?

Happy2Play

@Luke @ebr is this not the same as this but at server level?

4 minutes ago, emko said:

but what if i want to reduce the bitrate and still keep it 720p? internet here is not the best and sometimes i can not direct stream without buffering so much?

But the server does not think it is 720 so nothing is ever lost. 

Edited by Happy2Play

Happy2Play

What stats do you get when you manually lower the bitrate below 4Mb option?

I don't think you're going to be able to do that right now with those files if my hunch is correct. This is why I wanted to see MediaInfo output as I have a hunch it's an encoding problem forcing it to be interpreted as SD resolution. The attached picture will show how Handbrake and a couple of other programs get this wrong. You can clearly see how the storage and display resolutions are different.  This is done from a 4K video which clearly starts out as UHD.

35768594-4e490b12-08fe-11e8-8f39-6f77d3aa1eab[1].jpg

8 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

is this not the same as this but at server level?

It is kind of the opposite problem.  As I mentioned above, most of our logic for classification of 720, 1080 etc. is based on width, not height for this very reason - wider aspect ratios will have a height below the 720 or 1080 amount - but the width will be consistent.

What you pointed out was a 4:3 video where the width actually is below the standard for HD so we have to also look at the height.  That is why I'm very surprised this is an issue - unless Luke recently changed the logic to no longer key on width...

pwhodges
1 hour ago, cayars said:

The attached picture will show how Handbrake and a couple of other programs get this wrong. You can clearly see how the storage and display resolutions are different.

But once you realise that Handbrake is doing this by default, it's easy to turn off anamorphic and adjust the storage to match the display (i.e to get PAR showing as 1:1).  I do this as a matter of habit now.

Paul

1 hour ago, Happy2Play said:

What stats do you get when you manually lower the bitrate below 4Mb option?

so setting it to 480p 3mbps i get 720x300, anything other then getting it to do direct stream which is at 4mbps since video is 3.6 i get lower resolution

59 minutes ago, pwhodges said:

But once you realise that Handbrake is doing this by default, it's easy to turn off anamorphic and adjust the storage to match the display (i.e to get PAR showing as 1:1).  I do this as a matter of habit now.

Paul

Assuming you are the one doing the conversion yes. :)

• 2 weeks later...