Rate watched movies

Beardyname

K1ng_Lear

I think the best way to implement a rating system is to link it with an existing one like IMDB. It would be nice to get a plug in to link my EMBY library with my imdb account so that I can see my ratings there and / or to change my rating. 

• 1 year later...
fanuser79

so is there going to be a user rating system in emby?

it would be nice to have such system for my users, which would recommend other movies based on likeness of genre or actors or director and would recommend it to the user

thelanranger

I was just searching to see if there was a way to do this with emby and came on this thread. 

Rating your collection would be an AMAZING feature. I'd love to be able to sort by my personal rating on EVERYTHING from movies, to TV to music. The like/dislike is an absolutely worthless feature and is only an "industry standard" because it's useful data to train AI. I'm not a robot and do not care about this information. 

My concerns with this would be binding the rating to something important that could be exported though. Rating a movie is trivial but TV shows vs episodes and albums vs songs would be clunky no matter how it was done. (Brings us to the UI...) 

Perhaps just a feature like some of the movie rating apps have where you can arrange a bunch of movies that you added in a specific order of how much you like them? Something like a "rating Playlist" or something like that which would be viewable in the sort. The ordering process could be a very simple UI on mobile and in the browser. If the user wanted to backup or do large changes the Metadata manager would likely let you bring in a modifiable file as well. 

Thoughts? 

arx237

I am probably in the minority here but I have no interest in rating 2k+ movies and shows. Problem with sorting by user rating would be a vast majority of content left unrated until I could find time for the 3k+ hours required to watch it. The wife rarely watches the same thing again and the kids always watch the same thing over and over  again so its pretty pointless to the rest of the family. 

That said there is no reason you cant hijack the community or critic (lol, what a useless opinion there) rating in the metadata and go crazy. You can input say 900 and your result will maintain the critic in everything else but will sort from the top at 900%, keeping your ratings first and indicating in code something like a 9 out of 10. Make all your personal ratings in the hondo's, lock it,  and be good to go. 

You could also do it by tags and filtering.

A possible feature might be adding one more line in the metadata for personal ratings then the ability to checkbox the two out of the three you want displayed. Granted it wont be an easy thing to do on tv right after watching but via the app on a cellphone its pretty quick.

I have always hated the "you may be interested in" pushed by netflix, google, amazon etc. Its never good and attempts to silo me a small portion of available content. However I will say the "More like this" section is ok. In a 007 mood? Cool here are more movies like that. Emby already does ok there although I do wish it would display more. 

• 3 weeks later...
sfatula

I'll just add switched to Infuse client and loving how it integrates with trakt. Now, all my Emby (via Infuse) rated movies / tv episodes and manually rated via trakt app shows up (such as movies I saw in the theater). Perfect for me. Far superior to Emby client.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Hitsville

The saddest part in all this is that Plex has zero native integration with (or interest in) Trakt unlike Emby.

However the clients do show the pesonal ratings given and aligns perfectly with the Trakt rating. (Thougn it does require the rating to be set via a Plex mobile client)

Perhaps Im a rare breed who thinks my own opinion of a movie or show is far more important than the opinions of 300,000 strangers on IMDB.

I revisit Emby every now and again as a long time Emby Premiere owner, and actually thought I would be back for good this time just for the integrated Trakt syncing. But i guess its not to be. For me Trakt is about ratings too and not just about watched status syncing. It's a shame really that Plex have zero interest in Trakt and yet they (purely by accident) somehow fit my workflow despite that.

We like or we dislike a movie? Yeah sorry,  I watch some movies far more than once and there are to my mind different levels of  "like."  Although I have never really felt the need for a 1-10 rating sytem in anything (1-5 makes more sense as in)

5-All times favorites

4-Really enjoyed it

3-Was OK

2- Not very good

1-WTF was that Cr*p

Basically Emby offers only 5-All times favorite or 1-WTF was that Cr*p as an alternative.

A shame really.

Emby.PNG

Plex.PNG

Trakt.PNG

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 1 month later...
MEGAMEGO

yes i would like also to add stars like 1 to 5 stars that can be seen by the other users so we can delete the less rated movies to save space and watch higher rated movies 

• Like 1

I would like to rate shows and movies like in plex by clicking on stars that appear under the movie. Then to be able to sort shows in library by my user rating.
image.png.c6c01393d61a81d071a7e99d4d247365.pngimage.png.674eef45207163b49868f3133b74b972.png

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 1 month later...

Can you add to emby a movie rating feature and synchronize with trakt.com?
because now I always have to go to trakt website and rate the movie there...

• 4 months later...
panamakevin

I know this post is old, but did Emby do away with all user ratings?  I don't see any thumbs up/down options for my films or tv.  I was actually looking around for an option to start rating my music as I've started using the music side of emby recently (and I'm quite impressed), but i couldn't figure out how to like/dislike a song or do any sort of rating for it, which would be cool to help reduce the number of times i hear music i don't like... 

GrimReaper
11 minutes ago, panamakevin said:

I know this post is old, but did Emby do away with all user ratings?  I don't see any thumbs up/down options for my films or tv.  I was actually looking around for an option to start rating my music as I've started using the music side of emby recently (and I'm quite impressed), but i couldn't figure out how to like/dislike a song or do any sort of rating for it, which would be cool to help reduce the number of times i hear music i don't like... 

It has been gone for a loooong time, you can only favorite items, but can't rate them, even thumbs up/down. 

Cheesegeezer

So…. Is this a dupe of recommendations proposed plugin? 

where a user can rate and recommend a movie or tv show to other users on that server. 

or is it a case of giving a custom rating for a media item. 

what you think @rbjtech

also plugins now, have no ability to manipulate the UI or user interaction. We cant add buttons or popups. 

its all back end stuff that lets us do work in the background and based mostly on interfacing with what the core lets us have, but essentially a plugin is a work horse that adds library features not UI/UX features

Edited by Cheesegeezer

rbjtech
5 hours ago, Cheesegeezer said:

So…. Is this a dupe of recommendations proposed plugin? 

where a user can rate and recommend a movie or tv show to other users on that server. 

or is it a case of giving a custom rating for a media item. 

what you think @rbjtech

also plugins now, have no ability to manipulate the UI or user interaction. We cant add buttons or popups. 

its all back end stuff that lets us do work in the background and based mostly on interfacing with what the core lets us have, but essentially a plugin is a work horse that adds library features not UI/UX features

Hi @Cheesegeezer

Recommendations could certainly use 'ratings' given by users to have user based recommendations (doh..) but my initial thoughts for Recommendations was based on either manually selected items by others (or an admin) or some basic system logic such as Films from the 60's etc.

I agree with Eric, I truly don't believe in a home environment that my family/friends are going to rate a film - if they are prompted after the show - with a 5 star rating option splashed across the screen - then maybe they would - but it's value to others is, imho, very limited.

As an example of this, I know my parents better than any AI 'recommendations' system which are sometimes laughable and other times downright offensive !   So all I really want to do is tag movies I think are suitable and they may like.   Each user has their own list that others can add to (maybe with permissions?). That's it really, nothing more, nothing less.

While related, Spotlight is something different - that is more of a case of simply highlighting you have a new title and wish to bring it to the top of the pile ( if you frequently add to your system.)  This is a global thing - it's not done on a per user basis and should be Admin controlled or permissioned.  Ideally the user can toggle it off or they watch it and it disappears of course.

• Like 1

Junglejim
38 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

While related, Spotlight is something different - that is more of a case of simply highlighting you have a new title and wish to bring it to the top of the pile ( if you frequently add to your system.)  This is a global thing - it's not done on a per user basis and should be Admin controlled or permissioned.  Ideally the user can toggle it off or they watch it and it disappears of course.

Yep I totally agree with this! On the global side this would be cool, just like Netflix announce your recent cool stuff. Whether your users like or not is up to them. :)

• 9 months later...

Rather than debate the pros and cons of a rating system in Emby I think it's something that is missing from Emby that is included/addable in all others.

If it can't be done it can't be done.  It's been... many years so I guess it can't be done.  We have redirects to this thread to contribute to the discussion which seems pretty dead in the water.
It is a shame, especially with the music library, as it can be hard to remember the name of that random song you would have given a 9 had you been given the chance.

It could also help with library maintenance.  My memory ain't what it used to be.

• Like 2

Underclass

I agree with Ferzal. Emby not having the option of allowing users to rate what they've just seen feels like a missing feature (I understand most people won't use it but personally on my server I know a majority of users would rate things as we end up telling each other our rating of a film/TV show anyway. Having the ability to do this in emby would be useful). It does feel like this thread has been seemingly ignored with the exception of the redirects that seem to prevent any new discussion regarding this topic.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Underclass said:

with the exception of the redirects that seem to prevent any new discussion regarding this topic.

Hi.  We don't want to prevent new discussion.  We just want to keep it in one place so that we can track it properly.  Thanks.

14 hours ago, Underclass said:

I agree with Ferzal. Emby not having the option of allowing users to rate what they've just seen feels like a missing feature (I understand most people won't use it but personally on my server I know a majority of users would rate things as we end up telling each other our rating of a film/TV show anyway. Having the ability to do this in emby would be useful). It does feel like this thread has been seemingly ignored with the exception of the redirects that seem to prevent any new discussion regarding this topic.

Hi, sorry for the confusion. This is not our intention. We're just trying to avoid having the same discussion in multiple places. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
Abejo

In my case, I have been using TMDB for years to keep track of and rate the movies I watch. I would love to have a plugin that allows me to associate my TMDB account with Emby, so when I watch a movie I could rate it on this platform.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

I have been using Kodi for years with Trakt plugin....just got a new NAS and thought I would try Emby - really like it so far but do miss the option to rate a show/movie after I have finished watching it.

Would like to add my +1 to this feature request .....know me and others use this all time 

• 3 months later...
0v3rl0rd

I just finished watching a movie, and wanted to rate it, and I could just "like it". That's how I stumbled upon this thread... Definitely a missing feature - the "like" button is pretty useless, because one "likes" a lot of movies, but does not like them the same. +1 from me. 

bonaminGR
52 minutes ago, 0v3rl0rd said:

I just finished watching a movie, and wanted to rate it, and I could just "like it". That's how I stumbled upon this thread... Definitely a missing feature - the "like" button is pretty useless, because one "likes" a lot of movies, but does not like them the same. +1 from me. 

Well, it all depends on each person's view on the matter. 

I actually agree with you. 
A 1 to 5 star rating is (I THINK) the best way to rate something. IMDB's 1-10 is a bit too much, but just like or dislike, is a bit too, well, nothing. 

(Again, PERSONALLY) I don't really use Emby's "Like" feature as intended, which is sad to be honest. I only "Like" movies BEFORE I watch them, as a temporary easy-to-find place for movies I "want" to watch. :D 
I have to login to IMDB to rate the films I watched so I know which ones are meh, which ones are good, and which ones I have to get an amnesia just to experience again for the first time. :)

THAT being said, I get that this is MY view, and not everyone shares it. :) 

Another feature that would be KILLER for me, is 5 star Ratings, but you can view (providing you enable it) suggestions based on other user's ratings on your server. 
I have friends that use my server, that I actually trust their judgement and given the fact that we have common interests, whatever they like, I most likely do too. 

So for me, a suggestion like "The user X watched the film Y and rated it 4 stars", would actually mean "Watch that Film bro." :D

• 1 month later...
Clangrijan

I also think it would be great to be able to rate movies/series either on a 1-5 or 1-10 scale. Hopefully, this can be implemented one day.

Clangrijan
On 1/18/2024 at 1:37 AM, bonaminGR said:

So for me, a suggestion like "The user X watched the film Y and rated it 4 stars", would actually mean "Watch that Film bro." :D

This would be great.