Emby is unable to identify album metadata

zBernie

I have an album by Nickle Creek named "Why Should the Fire Die?".  There is no metadata to identify the album, i.e., MusicBrainz group ID, album ID, etc.  So I loaded the .mp3 files into MusicBrainz Picard, and the app only recognizes the recording ID shown below.  this is not one of the external ID's recognized by Emby.  I also checked TheAudioDB ID, and it does not have the correct metadata either.

Is there anything else I can do to get Emby to identify this album?

MusicBrainz  Recording ID: 9687faee-d90e-4b75-b729-22c2066394e8

PenkethBoy

Release group id from quick MBz search = e2a8e2cf-313b-3409-ac1f-2e65c989b8bb

probably Picard is reading existing tags in the files and going with that initially but you can override that and apply the correct ID's - then emby should be fine

9 minutes ago, PenkethBoy said:

Release group id from quick MBz search = e2a8e2cf-313b-3409-ac1f-2e65c989b8bb

probably Picard is reading existing tags in the files and going with that initially but you can override that and apply the correct ID's - then emby should be fine

Yes, I had gotten that ID from the musicbrainz.org website.  But it's not enough for Emby to correctly identify the album.

-Thanks

PenkethBoy

I dont know what you are doing but 

1. use the identify feature in emby for the album - album id = 234d0329-5122-4e77-9895-302386820d23

2. and/or correct the album metadata with picard picking the correct album - emby will then read this and find the details etc

Both are in you control

49 minutes ago, PenkethBoy said:

1. use the identify feature in emby for the album - album id = 234d0329-5122-4e77-9895-302386820d23

2. and/or correct the album metadata with picard picking the correct album - emby will then read this and find the details etc

Both are in you control

Where did you get that album ID?

1 hour ago, PenkethBoy said:

Both are in you control

This isn't working for me.  I used MB Picard to identify the songs.  Except 3 it thinks don't belong to this album.  I tried identifying the album using emby, but it still not working.  I have some other Nickle Creek albums that are misidentified, I'll give those a try...

PenkethBoy
1 hour ago, zBernie said:

Where did you get that album ID?

musicbrain - just search release with album name - simple!

or in picard use "lookup in browser" if picard can see it via the tags you have in the files - suspect these are mostly your issue

do you have the file in an album folder - if not put them in one

This may be new to you - and if it is fine - everybody needs to learn

but this is basic stuff

1 Put all songs from an album in an album folder - named same as album 

2. open folder in picasd - it will use any mbz ids in the files for lookup - if its causing issues - remove all mbz id from songs first

3. if picard does not find album - use lookup in browser - find you album - click on "tagger" icon on website and the album details will appear in Picard

4. if details correct - save

5. emby will find the "new" album -with RTM or do a lib scan

done

19 hours ago, PenkethBoy said:

musicbrain - just search release with album name - simple!

or in picard use "lookup in browser" if picard can see it via the tags you have in the files - suspect these are mostly your issue

do you have the file in an album folder - if not put them in one

This may be new to you - and if it is fine - everybody needs to learn

but this is basic stuff

1 Put all songs from an album in an album folder - named same as album 

2. open folder in picasd - it will use any mbz ids in the files for lookup - if its causing issues - remove all mbz id from songs first

3. if picard does not find album - use lookup in browser - find you album - click on "tagger" icon on website and the album details will appear in Picard

4. if details correct - save

5. emby will find the "new" album -with RTM or do a lib scan

done

There are 14 tracks in this album.  MB Picard is unable to identify 3 of them.  I believe that is the problem.  If you look at the screenshot at the link below, you can see that some of the tracks are identified as "different".  These are in the MusicBrainz ID fields.

Is it possible to copy the MusicBrainz ID fields from the correctly identified tracks, to the 3 that are not identified correctly?

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkBZPuAQllxIiskQlSwgIArYfxVxVA?e=v2tZPG

Happy2Play
8 minutes ago, zBernie said:

There are 14 tracks in this album.  MB Picard is unable to identify 3 of them.  I believe that is the problem.  If you look at the screenshot at the link below, you can see that some of the tracks are identified as "different".  These are in the MusicBrainz ID fields.

Is it possible to copy the MusicBrainz ID fields from the correctly identified tracks, to the 3 that are not identified correctly?

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkBZPuAQllxIiskQlSwgIArYfxVxVA?e=v2tZPG

Just drag those three tracks into that album to fill there missing slots.  They are slight miss matches do to different durations.

1 hour ago, Happy2Play said:

Just drag those three tracks into that album to fill there missing slots.  They are slight miss matches do to different durations.

I tried that, and then it doesn't allow me to save the 3 misidentified tracks.  I had all 14 tracks under the album after having them in the left pane and identified them, but they won't save.  It only saves 11 of 14.  I can't believe this is this difficult.  You would think that Emby would identify them correctly but it doesn't either.  Not sure if it's an issue with the 3 tracks or something else.

Happy2Play
26 minutes ago, zBernie said:

I tried that, and then it doesn't allow me to save the 3 misidentified tracks.  I had all 14 tracks under the album after having them in the left pane and identified them, but they won't save.  It only saves 11 of 14.  I can't believe this is this difficult.  You would think that Emby would identify them correctly but it doesn't either.  Not sure if it's an issue with the 3 tracks or something else.

That is odd as ever time I have had this happen all I had to do it drag the tracks to the identified album.  So you are saying you can not drag the tracks from the two identified albums to make one album?

1585312358_Screenshot(15).jpg.0d8cf29f414a56ad231ebcf5a77aac3b.jpg

8 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

That is odd as ever time I have had this happen all I had to do it drag the tracks to the identified album.  So you are saying you can not drag the tracks from the two identified albums to make one album?

1585312358_Screenshot(15).jpg.0d8cf29f414a56ad231ebcf5a77aac3b.jpg

Yes, I did what you show in your diagram and then there were all 14 tracks.  Then I dragged the entire album to the left pane and identified them.  But the three tracks still did not contain the correct MusicBrainz ID's.  And when I attempted to save them even they were all selected, only 11 of 14 were saved.

Happy2Play
Just now, zBernie said:

Yes, I did what you show in your diagram and then there were all 14 tracks.  Then I dragged the entire album to the left pane and identified them.  But the three tracks still did not contain the correct MusicBrainz ID's.  And when I attempted to save them even they were all selected, only 11 of 14 were saved.

No you just save the album.  Dragging them back to the left will have Picard just try to re-identify and you are back were you started.

1 hour ago, Happy2Play said:

No you just save the album.  Dragging them back to the left will have Picard just try to re-identify and you are back were you started.

I thought I might have screwed up the tracks in MusicBrainz Picard, so I restored the album from backup.  Then I did as you said and dragged the three tracks down to the album then all then saved the album.  All tracks saved this time, instead of 11 of 14.  Then in Emby I rescanned the album, and still no joy.

Edited by zBernie

PenkethBoy

@zBernie - could you zip up the album and upload somewhere where we can get at it?

So we can try our end

Probably best via a PM

So we can see if its just finger trouble or there is something genuinely odd about that album

22 hours ago, PenkethBoy said:

@zBernie - could you zip up the album and upload somewhere where we can get at it?

So we can try our end

Probably best via a PM

So we can see if its just finger trouble or there is something genuinely odd about that album

Here is the album before any edits in MB Picard.  Thanks for your help with this!

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkBZPuAQllxIiuBPO_ZwiAvTjxUQiw?e=qaNCOn

23 hours ago, Luke said:

What does "no joy" mean?

It means the metadata is still incorrect and Emby cannot parse it correctly.  I sent a link to the album in a previous post to PenkethBoy if you want to take a look.

PenkethBoy

Ok the reason you are getting problems - is that everyone of those files is corrupted - assuming the corruption is not due to being zipped and upload/downloaded

If i open them in Picard - they come up as [non-album-tracks]

In Mp3Tag - they show as bad ID3v2

I checked the integrity of the zip file and its fine

1257410258_Annotation2020-09-19073547.jpg.64f5ce25463c29417afdf55e535d0b8a.jpg

Mp3Tag not liking the files.

1437103826_Annotation2020-09-19073551.jpg.afaa0fbc8beb9412f5f8000577835f82.jpg

Notice that most of the Tag data is missing the first letter?

So...

If you have the source disk i would re rip the files

If not try Mp3Val or other tools easy to find on line to repair the files

Mp3Tag although it can save the files cannot repair them

That the files play is no indication they are not damaged - to me it looks like the headers of the files are corrupted - hence why picard is having an issue as well

Once you sort this album i would run a check on all the others you have as it could be you have a wider problem - hopefully not

Have Fun

• Like 1

PenkethBoy

but thats not the issue - the files are corrupt - did picard fix them as they were mis identified for me

Happy2Play
25 minutes ago, PenkethBoy said:

but thats not the issue - the files are corrupt - did picard fix them as they were mis identified for me

No Picard alone could not identify properly with the corrupt tags.  Removing all tags with mp3tag and running the tracks through Picard identified properly for me.  All files play fine.

test.jpg.65db16379d000d40b0bcd4f7434ed43b.jpg

redo.thumb.jpg.cd1bea435fdcc5b65a3b773a65a818c2.jpg

Edited by Happy2Play

PenkethBoy

the files are very likely still corrupt - and need checking properly - not do a random save and hope for the best

as i have already said just because they play does not mean they do not have corruption

17 hours ago, PenkethBoy said:

Ok the reason you are getting problems - is that everyone of those files is corrupted - assuming the corruption is not due to being zipped and upload/downloaded

If i open them in Picard - they come up as [non-album-tracks]

In Mp3Tag - they show as bad ID3v2

I checked the integrity of the zip file and its fine

1257410258_Annotation2020-09-19073547.jpg.64f5ce25463c29417afdf55e535d0b8a.jpg

Mp3Tag not liking the files.

1437103826_Annotation2020-09-19073551.jpg.afaa0fbc8beb9412f5f8000577835f82.jpg

Notice that most of the Tag data is missing the first letter?

So...

If you have the source disk i would re rip the files

If not try Mp3Val or other tools easy to find on line to repair the files

Mp3Tag although it can save the files cannot repair them

That the files play is no indication they are not damaged - to me it looks like the headers of the files are corrupted - hence why picard is having an issue as well

Once you sort this album i would run a check on all the others you have as it could be you have a wider problem - hopefully not

Have Fun

I downloaded a FRESH copy of Why Should the Fire Die from Google Play Music.  I added it to Emby, rescanned, and Emby does not recognize the album.  Then I took this fresh copy of the album, loaded it into MusicBrainz Picard, and it only identified 12 of 14 tracks.  So the problem is not with file corruption, at least not in this case.  You can download the pristine copy of the album here:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkBZPuAQllxIiuEMn7z7RwXIz9jjXQ?e=tyXkMY

Happy2Play
11 minutes ago, zBernie said:

I added it to Emby, rescanned, and Emby does not recognize the album.

What do you mean doesn't recognize album?  May need server log.

Unzipped and added to music library no additional tagging.  Library default settings Musicbrainz then TheAudioDB.

as-is.thumb.jpg.3f9d7f9c734f528b4759f6de442f962f.jpg

I am not seeing any issue with Musicbrainz 2.4.4 identifying these updated files.

mbz.jpg.59aef4ed16a700ce35e83b68100ec7b8.jpg