Regarding the forum upgrade - Split posts

Abobader

hmm, I need to correct my post about apply the modification, I will do it at the test forum, if Luke and Ebr like it, then we will apply it here.

Sorry guys.

Gilgamesh_48
46 minutes ago, Abobader said:

hmm, I need to correct my post about apply the modification, I will do it at the test forum, if Luke and Ebr like it, then we will apply it here.

Sorry guys.

So, mom and dad must approve junior's science project before he can take it to school and show everybody? 😉😎😈

• Haha 2

Gilgamesh_48
9 minutes ago, Abobader said:

LOL ... Yes, these 2 aliens are 2000 thousands "light" years old.

I hate to correct my elders, there are so few of them, but a light year is a measurement of distance so you cannot be a number of light years old. Movies are always getting things like that wrong and for those of us that understand science it is quite irritating. Even in Star Wars they use "parsecs" as a unit of time and that is almost inexcusable as it just makes the whole scene almost unwatchable.

Sorry but that is one of my pet peeves. Many of the science errors in movies are easily ignored but it would be so easy to avoid but writers and directors are juust too stupi to avoid making the simple errors.

Of course I am being too sensitive but often I can't help myself. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

but a light year is a measurement of distance so you cannot be a number of light years old

I know that buddy, for that I quote it to complete the joke :)

rbjtech
5 hours ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

I hate to correct my elders, there are so few of them, but a light year is a measurement of distance so you cannot be a number of light years old. Movies are always getting things like that wrong and for those of us that understand science it is quite irritating. Even in Star Wars they use "parsecs" as a unit of time and that is almost inexcusable as it just makes the whole scene almost unwatchable.

Sorry but that is one of my pet peeves. Many of the science errors in movies are easily ignored but it would be so easy to avoid but writers and directors are juust too stupi to avoid making the simple errors.

You know it's a science fiction movie right ? 🤪

Gilgamesh_48
46 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

You know it's a science fiction movie right ? 🤪

Yes. But it takes very little to get the basics of the "science" part at least partially correct. 

I can suspend my disbelief quite well but when I realize that it is so easy to at least get the simple parts correct and that the writer(s) and director(s) hold their audience in such disdain that they do not even bother to get the basics correct it just irritates me. They could have made up a fictional time unit and that would be fine but using a distance unit as a time unit just serves to show how low in esteem the show biz people hold their audience.

There are many other "problems" with film science fiction such as ships banking in space or explosions in space making sound but those I can overlook if the story is good but misusing simple terms just causes irritation for me and many others I know. When my youngest granddaughter at 9 saw Star Wars for the first time she pointed out the parsec error. Of course she is quite "special" but if a 9 year old catches the error the you would expect adults making the movie to come up with something better.

It is "Science Fiction" not "Fiction Science."

miniliQuid
11 hours ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

Yes. But it takes very little to get the basics of the "science" part at least partially correct. 

I can suspend my disbelief quite well but when I realize that it is so easy to at least get the simple parts correct and that the writer(s) and director(s) hold their audience in such disdain that they do not even bother to get the basics correct it just irritates me. They could have made up a fictional time unit and that would be fine but using a distance unit as a time unit just serves to show how low in esteem the show biz people hold their audience.

There are many other "problems" with film science fiction such as ships banking in space or explosions in space making sound but those I can overlook if the story is good but misusing simple terms just causes irritation for me and many others I know. When my youngest granddaughter at 9 saw Star Wars for the first time she pointed out the parsec error. Of course she is quite "special" but if a 9 year old catches the error the you would expect adults making the movie to come up with something better.

It is "Science Fiction" not "Fiction Science."

They cater to the majority. As long as the majority likes it and keeps seeing their movies, it's all good for them.
Now the majority doesn't have to necessarily be stupid, it's good enough if they simply shrug it off, laugh about it, or simply ignore it.

Like you said, for you it's your pet peeve even though you ignore a lot of these kind of mistakes.
Now others will have a different pet peeve, and simply ignore this mistake.

Story short: Movie goes KA-CHING anyway ;)

On 9/15/2020 at 1:14 PM, Gilgamesh_48 said:

This was my biggest problem with "Ad Astra".  Completely ridiculous.

sooty234

If you're expecting factual accuracy from a Brad Pitt movie, then you should stop watching them. That's like watching sport and looking for signs of intelligence. His stuff is all about the drama. I get tunnel vision with his movies. I mean, a giant space antenna.... ignore, ignore, ignore.

• Confused 1

sooty234

Ha! Let me put it a different way. Do people watch Fury because they want a historically accurate accounting of WWII? Probably not, but it's great drama.

For drama, watch movies.

For science, read books.

1468098858_MVIMG_20200917_0930572.thumb.jpg.ee9c8744773a3c4ed52755a98dcf187c.jpg

Gilgamesh_48
1 hour ago, sooty234 said:

Ha! Let me put it a different way. Do people watch Fury because they want a historically accurate accounting of WWII? Probably not, but it's great drama.

For drama, watch movies.

For science, read books.

Except the only reasons for the level of scientific inaccuracy seen in movies are laziness or stupidity or both. It takes so very little to get most of science right that it just amazes me why they don't.

sooty234
14 minutes ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

Except the only reasons for the level of scientific inaccuracy seen in movies are laziness or stupidity or both. It takes so very little to get most of science right that it just amazes me why they don't.

I suppose that would depend on whether it's small details or large concepts. For small details, yes, that's either laziness, they simply missed it or stupidity. For large concepts, most science isn't televisual. In simple spectator-ship, it's quite boring. What's fascinating about science is the understanding of why we are seeing what we are seeing. So in a movie, lots artistic license is often required. Compare Interstellar to Ad Astra. Interstellar is more scientifically accurate, but the characters and script are considerably less interesting than Ad Astra. Of course, if you could have both, that would be great, but I don't see how that could happen. Oscillating between visual boredom and strong emotion. You'd lose most of the audience. Another good example is The Expanse. I just finished watching it. There are so many scenes with no gravity, that movement becomes very specific. And for the most part, they did pretty well. But in a number of scenes, they flubbed it. There's one scene where a guy is sitting, he's near death but holding a wrench and tapping morse code on the wall. When they find him, he relaxes....and his arm suddenly drops to the floor (with a thud) but the wrench floats away. A bit of a head-scratcher. But the scene moves forward, and the drama was fairly good. A small detail that they probably didn't want to waste time and money to correct it, or they just didn't realize that it was wrong. I doubt most people even noticed.

20 hours ago, sooty234 said:

Compare Interstellar to Ad Astra. Interstellar is more scientifically accurate, but the characters and script are considerably less interesting than Ad Astra

I have to strongly disagree with that as well.  The plot line in Ad Astra made no sense as well and Interstellar is the poster child of how to do science fiction without abandoning the science.

sooty234
1 hour ago, ebr said:

I have to strongly disagree with that as well.  The plot line in Ad Astra made no sense as well and Interstellar is the poster child of how to do science fiction without abandoning the science.

The Ad Astra plot line is very simple. I would write it out but I don't want to make spoilers. I think you're just hung up on the poor science and get distracted. It's a human interest movie. The 'science' has almost nothing to do with the story, other than that being the vehicle for his father's absence. You could make the same movie without involving space exploration, and have his father be on a different continent. It's just a 'daddy issues' movie, everything else is superfluous. Gravity is the same. There's no way she would survive, but her struggle to start 'living' again after the death of her daughter is what the story is about. Human interest with some shiny eye candy. Brad Pitt is a character actor, he doesn't pay attention to the other parts of the movie. In an interview, he said when they started filming 'we didn't know what we had'. The whole movie is character driven. I can't think of one of his movies that isn't. 

Edited by sooty234

sooty234

And to make it clear, Interstellar, Gravity, Ad Astra, I love them all, but for different reasons.

4 hours ago, ebr said:

Interstellar is the poster child of how to do science fiction without abandoning the science.

You can't make them all the same way. That would be boring. Do you hate Star Wars? 

1 hour ago, sooty234 said:

Do you hate Star Wars? 

I cringe every time an X-wing fighter "banks" through outer space but that is a totally different movie from a totally different time.  Easier to suspend disbelief with the way those stories are set and created.

• Like 1

sooty234
22 minutes ago, ebr said:

I cringe every time an X-wing fighter "banks" through outer space but that is a totally different movie from a totally different time.  Easier to suspend disbelief with the way those stories are set and created.

lmao... yeah, that's what I mean. I used to get all bent out of shape over errors like that. I just got tired of being irritated all the time. I learned to filter and try to enjoy it the way it's intended....but there are limits :)

Gilgamesh_48

One thing I want to point out is that "factual" errors do not ruin a movie even if they are easily avoided. It is the acting and direction that ruins movies. It is just that it is easy to avoid most factual errors in dialog and it shows a lack of respect for the audience to allow dialog errors into movies. But movies can be good even with bad errors.

BTW: Star Wars is not really science fiction it is science fantasy and that allows a lot more latitude in the area of errors. Maybe physics behaves differently in their fantasy universe. However even fantasy should avoid using common terms wrongly.

• Like 1

sooty234
5 minutes ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

One thing I want to point out is that "factual" errors do not ruin a movie even if they are easily avoided. It is the acting and direction that ruins movies. It is just that it is easy to avoid most factual errors in dialog and it shows a lack of respect for the audience to allow dialog errors into movies. But movies can be good even with bad errors.

BTW: Star Wars is not really science fiction it is science fantasy and that allows a lot more latitude in the area of errors. Maybe physics behaves differently in their fantasy universe. However even fantasy should avoid using common terms wrongly.

Indeed. And to stay on the Star Wars track....to your point, The Force Awakens is among the worse movies I have had the displeasure of experiencing. Script, acting, direction...just awful. Why do they keep giving Abrams, work?

I wonder if Abo wants to split this thread now? lol