Clarify "Replace all metadata" wording to show context.

goodeye

Please clarify the "Replace all metadata" wording. Perhaps a following note that says the context of what is being replaced.

e.g., When selecting a specific item, e.g., a series or even just one actor, when I click the 3 dots, select Refresh Metadata, the two Refresh mode choices are "Replace missing metadata" and "Replace all metadata". While "Replace missing metadata" feels fairly harmless, I'm never quite sure what "Replace all metadata" is going to do. I really don't want to replace my entire library, I'm just looking to replace this item (series, actor, etc.).

So perhaps something like "Replace all metadata for this actor", or even fully generic ".. for this item"

Thank you.

Edited by goodeye
tag

Hi, when you click the 3-dot menu on an item, are you saying it isn't obvious that the list of actions you can choose from apply to that item?

miniliQuid

When you select a specific actor or show, the actions apply to that part.
Replacing your whole library would be done by simply clicking on the specific library you would want to replace.

Replace "all" metadata is simply meant to let you know that if you use it on a show or movie, everything within that show/movie that is metadata will be replaced (pictures, text, etc.)

Thanks, that makes sense when you explain it. Your explanation demonstrates my request:

Replace "all" metadata is simply meant to let you know that if you use it on a show or movie, everything within that show/movie that is metadata will be replaced (pictures, text, etc.)

The bold shows the kind of text would be helpful on the screen, just so I'm sure it's staying within that show/movie.

Luke, the 3-dot menu is clear, it's just not clear whether Replace All applies to just this item, or the entire library. I know it makes sense that it's just this item, but the dialog is the same at every level, so part of me always wonders if "All" meant a global replace all. The text itself doesn't distinguish it.

miniliQuid

I agree that the text itself doesn't distinguish it, but shouldn't common sense do so?
Cause to get the text "replace all metadata", you already had to press on an item that you would want to replace that metadata for right?

I am not 100% sure, since I have no clue which app you have this problem with.

For example using Emby Theater most of the time, I would simply tap right mouse button on the item I wat to change, and that would open the menu for that item.

I use Emby Theather on synology, browsing from Chrome and from the app on LG tv. I agree the context is there, and it's common sense once I know (now), but as I said in my post, I'm never quite sure, with the word "All". Even "Replace Metadata" might be clearer.

When I searched to see if this was already a request, I found this post https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/89460-add-refresh-metadataimages-button-to-mouse-over/ where they didn't like the word 'Everything'. I think this is similar. Clarifying would be simple enough. It could just be my personal preference, that's why it's a feature request and not a bug report. 

Thank you for your time and consideration.