Bug: "resume from" not working properly

LehighBri
Go to solution Solved by LehighBri,

LehighBri

I am running MB3 server v3.0.5309.26857 on my Windows server and have a Windows client and a RPi client, both running XBMB3C 0.9.517.

I noticed for several different versions now that the "resume from" feature during playback isn't working, and it also acts inconsistently across Windows and RPi.

Let's say the scenario is that I have a 2 hour TV show, and the resume point is set at 30 minutes in.

On Windows, when I playback and tell it to resume from 30 minutes, it starts playback at the beginning of the show for a brief moment, and then "seeks" to some random point, but it's definitely not 30 minutes in.

On RPi, when I playback and tell it to resume from 30 minutes, it always starts playback at the beginning and never seeks to anything.

-Edit #1: here's my rpi log in case you need it... I do see some exception around the resumeJumpBack setting so not sure if that's an issue that needs to be fixed: http://pastebin.com/as6xcrEb

-Edit #2: it looks like my resumeJumpBack setting was blank/null, thus why the exception.  I changed the setting to 0 and the exception goes away (perhaps add some error handling for this?) AND it does jump the playback to a point in the middle of the show, but now it behaves just like Windows above where it jumps to a point that is way past the resume point (e.g. it jumped to something like 60 minutes in instead of 30 minutes in).

1) any thoughts on why this isn't working?

2) any reason why there's a "custom" dialog window to resume playback from and you don't just simply use the native XBMC playback functionality to resume when I say resume?

Based on my development of the XBMC SageTV addon, I would think you should be able to set the resumetime property (which it looks like you're doing) and then let XBMC's native playback take care of the rest (unless you're doing something else upon playback which would require doing something non-native).

Edited by LehighBri

xnappo

1) I am unable to recreate either on my OpenElec box or Windows box.  Can you try to right-click and refresh in your directory?  Are you able to create this situation every time?  Is the seek time correct in the dialog box?  Maybe try changing the resume time to 10 seconds - that is the default.

2) It was many moons ago, but if I remember right if I change it around so that it uses the internal resume mechanism, it also forces it to use the internal watched state mechanism.  It was one or the other and the resume mechanism was easier to recreate.  Feel free to play with it though - that was back with Frodo and a lot of stuff has changed since then.  Be sure to check the watched status works correctly!

xnappo

@@im85288 - can you take a look just to confirm?  The poster progress code is about the only thing I can think of changed recently close to this area, but again I can't recreate.

Edited by xnappo

• Solution
LehighBri

1) I am unable to recreate either on my OpenElec box or Windows box.  Can you try to right-click and refresh in your directory?  Are you able to create this situation every time?

2) It was many moons ago, but if I remember right if I change it around so that it uses the internal resume mechanism, it also forces it to use the internal watched state mechanism.  It was one or the other and the resume mechanism was easier to recreate.  Feel free to play with it though - that was back with Frodo and a lot of stuff has changed since then.  Be sure to check the watched status works correctly!

xnappo

@@im85288 - can you take a look just to confirm?  The poster progress code is about the only thing I can think of changed recently close to this area, but again I can't recreate.

Sure.

Re: #1, yes, I can re-produce this behavior on both my rpi and windows clients.  See an example sequence of events below where my resume time is 1:32, but playback jumps to 2:18 for some reason.  I can send endless examples but it never works right (e.g. resume point is 0:16, it jumps to 0:20... resume point is 0:31, it jumps to 0:42, and so on).  It seems like the calculation or behavior related to where the playback should seek to in a resume scenario isn't working correctly.

EDIT: I think I see the issue now!  I have an .edl file that supports the playback.  And the edl uses 0 as the cut point, instead of 3.  So for a 60 minute show for example, the timeline and duration will show as ~43mins as it removes the comskip time from the overall duration.  Thus it seems like the playback with an edl file isn't quite handling commercials gracefully.  Not a huge issue as I can easily use a cut point of 3 in the edl file which means the timeline and duration will still show as 60 minutes, but the playback will jump over each comskip point.  Not a huge issue and no clue if this scenario can even be fixed, but seems like that's the reason.

Re: #2, makes sense and I'm fine with it.  My main interest is having the watched and resume status sync back to MB3 as the authoritative source (and then each client pulls from that), so if it requires doing something custom or above and beyond what XBMC has, then that's fine :)  I'm mostly interested in fixing #1 as I have multiple clients and bounce between them and it'd be nice to have the resume point work.

53cd1c9e328cc_pic1.png

53cd1ca9ce28e_pic2.png

53cd1cb41434f_pic3.png

• Like 1

xnappo
  1. Ahhhh - yes I actually ran into that myself - I briefly tried ShowAnalyzer, but didn't feel like dialing it in.
  2. It looks like you might be getting 'double resume' dialogs - you can fix that by changing the native XBMC handling to 'Resume'.  Then you will only get ours.  I may look at this again - but I don't have fond memories of this problem :)

As to the .edl... When I was going down that route I was thinking of actually handling it myself - but I don't know that I could tell XBMC to STOP trying to handle it.

Are you running the latest Git on the Pi?  Curious how the speed is lately.  There are some changes coming to Aeon Nox that will do real-time loading of 'People' and 'Overview' so you should be able to turn those off.  I think you can already turn off 'People' if you are using Confluence (I think that is the skin you are using?)

xnappo

LehighBri

Yes I'm running 0.9.517 on all my clients including on the pi.  I haven't played around with the metadata settings yet, but using the default settings, I'd say things are "bearable" but by no means ideal.  Navigating through most menu items takes a good 10-15 seconds for the next menu to load (whereas on windows it is instantaneous).  Not sure how low that can reasonably get, but I'm assuming there's only so far you can go with the addon before you need the XBMC core itself to be further enhanced.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I am having problems with this on just one of my PCs (both nearly identical hardware running the same version of OE and XBMB3C).  The first PC I get the second resume dialog from the XBMBC3 plugin and it resumes properly.  The second PC shows the watched percentage but I never get the second resume dialog and it always starts from the beginning?  I can't see any settings that are different for the second PC that would account for this?

xnappo

The second PC must be playing from stream.  Resume is not supported playing from stream.  Check you are using SMB paths and that you have the SMB username and password set correctly.

@im85288 - where are we in the user indication that we are playing from stream instead of SMB?  I still think we should throw up a dialog at least once that indicates there is a problem if we expect to be able to play from SMB, but cannot.

xnappo

xnappo

im85288 - does Direct Play indicate playing from SMB or just not transcoding?

I can't think of anything else that would break resume.

xnappo

LehighBri

im85288 - does Direct Play indicate playing from SMB or just not transcoding?

I can't think of anything else that would break resume.

xnappo

The only "semi" related issue that I had was when I accidentally changed the config for "On Resume Jump Back Seconds" from the default of 10 to be blank.  Blank seemed acceptable to me, but apparently resume does not work then (I still get the correct dialog windows, but upon resume, it always just started from the beginning).  I changed the value to 0 and it worked fine.  But in both cases, I got the correct dialog windows so it sounds like the issue above is slightly different.

• 2 weeks later...

resume doesnt work for me at all within xbmb3c (it worked on xbmc)

- from home screen in the recent movies always goes to play

- have to go into the movies category - (for previously interrupted movies) it will display choice for resume from ... but that choice restarts from beginning, always, never resumed (always direct play not transcoding)

Angelblue05

I have the same problem as bulls. I started another thread "Inquiry Resume from...." just for that problem because I think it's a seperate issue from the one posted in this thread.

• 6 months later...
TSellers

I am having the same problem, and this was about the only thread I have found on it. I thought I may have stumbled on a solution after I noticed it seemed to retain a resume point for items that were in a subdirectory. So I created a new folder off my root, and moved everything from my root folder into that. Awhile later I also changed my settings to 'Play' from 'Resume' so that I'd get the option box to pop up offering to resume or play from start. Now sure if that had the effect. but my subdirectory work around no longer works. As I realized all my Sonarr and get_iPlayer PVR setting would have to be redone after my folder change, I just gave up and restored my folders back to the root again. 

I also found that trying a new installation of Kodi to a different drive did not help, as it still retained all my previous settings, so my next attempt will be to try and find out how to do a clean uninstall and start again

Angelblue05

Hi there, please see How to report a problem linked in my signature. We need more information to be able to help you. :)

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk