cant connect remotely through hotspot

OnyxUK

Hey guys i am hoping someone could help with this as im completely stumped lol 

I recently discovered that my internet provider is giving me shocking results for internet quality as i am only getting around 30mbps download and for upload a shocking result of 2-4mbps. this is what made my transcoding so bad as i couldnt provide enough upload speed for my friends to watch the film they wanted. ( thank you cayars for helping me with finding the problem to this ) 

So i have thought of going with my phone provider (three) as they offer 4G broadband with out the mess involved in between. before i purchase this i wanted to temporarily use my hotspot from my phone while i wait for the contract for the internet to come to a end, however emby server remote isnt connecting at all. i have made sure ports through the firewall are allowed and clear along with checking it against CanYouSeeMe.org.

i can switch back to my normal wired internet restart emby and all works fine but using my hotspot i have no joy. has anyone had this before or and i doing something so silly i cant see what i a missing haha ? 

any help would be a massive help thanks guys 

embyserver.txt hardware_detection-63735724769.txt

• Like 1

Hi,

There's a very good chance your cell provider is using cgNAT (carrier grade network address translation) basically making it impossible to breach through to your server without you using tricks like a public VPN.

You will want to read contract very carefully as I've never see a cell based UNLIMITED plan.  Everyone I've seen has caps or auto throttling at X transferred allotment to SLOW speeds (but still unlimited).

Now with that said some wireless companies will work with Emby.  Can we assume you have a wireless network on the Emby server so you disconnected from the wired network, then connected to the wireless network?

Can we also assume you restarted Emby?  Does Emby show a different remote address in the dashboard?

• Like 1

pwhodges
7 hours ago, cayars said:

You will want to read contract very carefully as I've never see a cell based UNLIMITED plan.  Everyone I've seen has caps or auto throttling at X transferred allotment to SLOW speeds (but still unlimited).

Three ('3') in the UK claims that its unlimited plans have no caps or throttling.  I've never noticed any, but OTOH, they are often not the fastest in areas I frequent.

Paul

Edited by pwhodges
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, cayars said:

Hi,

There's a very good chance your cell provider is using cgNAT (carrier grade network address translation) basically making it impossible to breach through to your server without you using tricks like a public VPN.

Now with that said some wireless companies will work with Emby.  Can we assume you have a wireless network on the Emby server so you disconnected from the wired network, then connected to the wireless network?

Can we also assume you restarted Emby?  Does Emby show a different remote address in the dashboard?

hey cayars  

ahh i see i was wondering if it could have been the phone provider but wasnt too sure, when i got my phone i did make sure i got an unlimited package as im on contract with them... 

and with wired and wireless yes i would disconnect the wired by disabling it then use the wireless  also every time i change the network from one to the other i do also restart each time. every time i restart i do get a different remote address and in home address when doing this.  

i just wanted to try to see if i could get my upload speed up enough to see if that was the big problem i was having before.

there is a massive difference using my phone rather than my internet provider as well as my phone can get speeds of 60-90mbps download and 20-25mbps upload

Good info guys. Obviously things are different all over the world. I just wanted to make sure "Unlimited" really meant that because often in the states words on a plan name don't have the same meaning as the old dictionary.  Here it's often like renting a car with unlimited miles but they fail to tell you after the first hundred miles the car doesn't go faster than 10 KPH.  LOL

• Haha 1