Emby Client on Firestick stuck in Live TV Mode

moshmont
Go to solution Solved by Carlo,

Sigh... I'm back to the Fire Stick doing the never ending spinning circle.  The Roku's and the web interface on the server seem to be working fine.  Not sure how to get a log file if it never gets to the login screen. 

What got things working before might have been me deleting the server cache.  I remember that I did that and it was taking quite a while (so many little files) that I forgot I had done that.  So I just tried that again and it didn't help.  So I deleted the Emby App data which allowed me to log in again, but that meant I had to turn on the debug option again.  I was able to go into Live TV but it did take a long time to bring up the channel.  But now things are working again on the Fire Stick.  But it consistently goes into this state of not logging in after a while.

I have 2GB of memory available on the Fire Stick 4k

More info:  It seems to get into this state when the Emby App is actually stopped.  I'm not sure if it stops by default after some time of non-use but it was acting a little strangely so I did a Forced Stop on the Emby App.  When I went to start it again, it's back in the state of the spinning circle right away. Clearing Emby data does not help.  Roku's still working fine.

Re-installing the App got me back in... for now. 

Edited by moshmont

Server log is attached.

I first checked that the app was working ok by watching a live tv channel. Then I got out of the Emby app and did a forced stop (restarting the firestick has the same results).  Then I clicked on the Emby app and immediately go the Loading... and spinning circle.  I let it do that till the screen saver kicked in which was about 10 minutes.  The only way to get back in is to re-install the Emby App.   For whatever reason, this did not start happening until a few days ago.

Edit:  I have found that clearing the data will allow me to log in again without having to re-install. So to re-create it, I log into the server from the app.  Get back out.  Force stop the app or reboot fire stick.  Can't get back in, just get spinning circle.  Clear data then allows me to get back in but I have to log in again.

I also just sent logs from the firestick but I'm guessing they will be almost empty since I had to clear the data.

embyserver(1).txt

Edited by moshmont

The circle keeps spinning and the screen saver kicks in?

If you set the app to not automatically log in does it work then?

It does get rid of the spinning circle and takes me to the login page.  But, it doesn't have a user to choose, I have to enter manually.  But when I do enter manually it just goes back to the same login screen and does not log in.

Something new... while I was entering my username, I saw a VolleyError notification flash up on the screen for a moment.  I found a thread about that on this forum but in that case it had to do with having a fire stick with special characters in it.  I changed that a few days from Kevin's FireTV to Family Room Fire Stick 4K.

While sitting in that login screen I just clicked the Send Logs button, maybe that will have something.

Actually, it turns out, all I have to do is log out then hit the home button to get this to happen. I have always just hit the home button to get out of Emby.  So stopping the application must be like logging out.

Edited by moshmont

In your log the app timed out trying to both retrieve the list of users from and log into your server.  Is the IP address shown on the dashboard of your server correct?  Is it: 192.168.56.1:8096

You are correct!  I wondered about that. It isn't correct, it is the ip address of of a Virtual Box adapter. I think I noticed the different ip address after the 4.5 upgrade.  How do I get it back to the correct ip address?

Hi,

Download the software again from the website and install over top.  Luke patched it.

That should help fix this problem for you.

Will that be better for any reason than setting the override till the next auto update?

Does installing over top lose ANY settings at all?

I'd install it as it has a couple of fixes.  When you install this way it's essentially like having Emby do the upgrade for you.

You should not loose any information doing this.

When I download from the website, the installation says it is installing 4.5.0.50 which is the same version that I already have installed.

Also, pretty quickly, it says that it can't move the system directory because something else is using it.  I did shut down the server although when I first ran the install, it appeared to shut it down.

Edited by moshmont

If you downloaded since told to it's a patched version and not the same as the original.

Reboot your system to release anything that's holding files open.

Rebooting allowed the install to run, but it still says the same version and still has the same IP address showing in the Dashboard.  I assume I am downloading from the correct place?  See below attached...

image.thumb.png.80b4981ca03a1d456ab1526b1b9ec46f.png

It will have the same version number and that's the correct place.

Do me a favor.  Open a command prompt and type this

ipconfig /all

upload the results.

I was pretty sure I had tried that but I went ahead and tried anyway and the results are the same.  I also went ahead and tried reinstalling the server while vpn was disconnected but is still picking up the Vbox ip address.

4 minutes ago, moshmont said:

I was pretty sure I had tried that but I went ahead and tried anyway and the results are the same.  I also went ahead and tried reinstalling the server while vpn was disconnected but is still picking up the Vbox ip address.

ipconfig /all 

again please :)

BTW, if I disable the VBox network adapter, Emby Server automatically changes to the correct IP Address (without restarting the server). When I re-enable the VBox adapter, it automatically changes to it's IP address.

Also... I found that the VBox network adapter was set up with a static IP address. I changed that to dynamic and Emby quit using it and now uses the correct Windows IP address.

I've no idea why Emby picks the VBox IP address over the Windows IP address.  VBox IP address was set in windows IP4 properties.  The Windows 10 box IP address is also static but it is configured at the router to always get the same IP address. 

Edited by moshmont

Happy2Play

I thought there was a patch that went into the new release (maybe just in test build or reinstall though) that changed priority on systems with actual and virtual adapters.

Discussed here

Can you restart the server and post the server log.

But as a last resort you would put your proper LAN IP in Dashboard-Network Local IP address