QNAP TS473e enable hardware transcoding with AMD RX421BD / Radeon R7

maeffjus

Hi Guys,
even though this topic seems to be same as the other regarding the TS473, I have the 473e, which features an integrated AMD Radeon R7.
I have also read a lot yesterday about the HW-acceleration, but at the end of the day, I could not make it work at all.

I have checked this forum and whatever else, no idea what to do.
Actually I have also given the card0 and renderD128 RWX (777) with chmod.
When I go to transcoding, there is no device available (with custom / advanced settings).

My hwdetection shows:

"Error": {
                    "Number": -1,
                    "Message": "Failed to initialize VA /dev/dri/renderD128. Error -1"

Any ideas?
BTW: I'm using the latest emby as a QPKG and the lastest QTS.

Regards,
Maeffjus

hardware_detection-63735677491.txt

• 3 weeks later...

@maeffjus have you tried this with Emby Server 4.5.2? If there's still an issue, can you please attach both the emby server and hardware detection logs from that? Thanks !

• 3 months later...

Hi, 

It has been a while I don't think hardware acceleration will ever work on those models, please see my post from years ago 

Yeah man if I only knew it before I bought it years ago

It was mentioned gpu passthrough on the page, apparently marked with * as I saw later on that excludes tvs x73 series...

it also said 4k transcoding  on that web page, that should have said "only works in qnap video station app", that is pretty outdated and i know noone who uses it,  so there is no pass through  to qts or vms so unfortunately built in gpu in that qnap box  is useless  for us