Hauppauge tuner support without WinTV?

richwine4

3 minutes ago, emveepee said:

I think that will be difficult.  The plugin in the catalog is for the unsupported v4 and won't work with 5.7.  I don't think the updated plugin for 4.7 has been released yet, and the one I have on github won't work with 4.7.   You could just use an m3u tuner in the meantime.

Martin

It has actually. If you install the 4.7 beta, there is an updated nextpvr plugin in the catalog.

• Like 1

earratia14

Thanks @cayars, I'll give this a try.

@emveepee, I too was thinking that I might run into a problem, but I'm thinking of giving it a try.
If it fails, let's say I set up NextPVR as an m3u tuner, either by selecting the Type (TV Source Setup) as NextPvr or as M3U I am asked for a URL (see screenshot). What is the correct URL to use with NextPVR? The one specified in "integrating NextPvr into Emby" does not work with the latest version of NextPvr. Entering "http://myserverip:8866/service?method=channel.m3u" does not produce a channel listing in Emby and entering the address directly in a browser generates an error "This page contains the following errors:
error on line 1 at column 1: Document is empty"
Edit: I installed beta 4.7.0.38

image.png.b957de8c6d08a7bb677e837a6ac4d6a2.png

Edited by earratia14

earratia14

@Luke

It only gives me the option to install 4.0.0 or earlier. So I picked 4.0.0, and restarted Emby.
After the restart, I'm unable to configure the plugin, it gives me "This plugin has no settings to configure"

image.png.e72cd863f9a3b7299fb58ee331e9c55b.png

11 minutes ago, earratia14 said:

@Luke

It only gives me the option to install 4.0.0 or earlier. So I picked 4.0.0, and restarted Emby.
After the restart, I'm unable to configure the plugin, it gives me "This plugin has no settings to configure"

image.png.e72cd863f9a3b7299fb58ee331e9c55b.png

earratia14

Thanks @Luke
I'll try again tomorrow. Emby crashed on me several times, but I think it's something I did to the plugin directory. So I restored the stable version from backup to record overnight shows and early morning news casts.

emveepee
5 hours ago, Luke said:

It has actually. If you install the 4.7 beta, there is an updated nextpvr plugin in the catalog.

Ok I thought I was beta testing this and since there still are major unaddressed issues, I didn't know you had released it.

Martin

Edited by emveepee

SHSPVR

Personally I prefer NextPVR set up M3U that way I can used the Emby Guide Database

earratia14

@SHSPVR
What URL or file do you use as the M3U source?
Like I indicated above, when I use the one specified in "integrating NextPvr into Emby", I get no channels. 
Entering the URL on a web browser produces an error.

SHSPVR
3 minutes ago, earratia14 said:

@SHSPVR
Like I indicated above, when I use the one specified in "integrating NextPvr into Emby", I get no channels. 

Start here https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/82168-ota-epg-data-disappered-after-mce-epg-died/#comment-839604 use mt text file for your needs

emveepee
2 hours ago, SHSPVR said:

Personally I prefer NextPVR set up M3U that way I can used the Emby Guide Database

In 4.7 you can  map the Emby source now too but that is one of the things that is broken. 

33 minutes ago, earratia14 said:

@SHSPVR

Perhaps move the discussion to NextPVR sub-forum so you don't hijack this thread.  You need to turn off authenticated access for Emby and likely it is not an error, your browser may not know how to render an m3u file, (view the source) Using the URL unedited is not recommended since it only allows streaming on channel at a time.

Martin

SHSPVR
18 minutes ago, emveepee said:

In 4.7 you can  map the Emby source now too but that is one of the things that is broken. 

Perhaps move the discussion to NextPVR sub-forum so you don't hijack this thread.  You need to turn off authenticated access for Emby and likely it is not an error, your browser may not know how to render an m3u file, (view the source) Using the URL unedited is not recommended since it only allows streaming on channel at a time.

Martin

or allow remote access as I have not switch to ver 5

Edited by SHSPVR

earratia14

I'm happy to report that it works and it does so really well.

Using the plugin plus Next Pvr as a tuner was my preferred approach over a M3U source, so I tried @cayars and @Luke's guidance.

* Install Emby 4.7.0.38 beta

* Remove my existing WinTV tuners from the Live TV menu

* Remove existing channel guide

* Install NextPvr plugin

* Restart Emby

* On the NextPvr side enable both "Remote Access" and "Unauthenticated Access" for good measure (not sure if both are needed though)

* Once Emby is back online go to Live TV menu and Add TV Source

* Select Next Pvr as the source and, in my case, leave the default values. Save.

* Back on the Live TV menu add a Guide Data Source (enter country, select Emby Guide Dta, zip, and select correct lineup)

All my channels were correctly mapped from the start. However, the guide was empty and would remain so even after a guide refresh and another Emby restart.

To fix this, re-map each channel by Editing it (in the Live TV -> Channels screen): select Guide data source = none, save, then re-edit, select Guide Data Source "Emby Guide Data...", make sure the correct Guide data channel is selected, Save.

Boom, the guide data updates.

I am now able to make use of all tuners without WintTV. If Next Pvr and the link between it and Emby is stable, then this will make my Emby install basically maintenance free.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, earratia14 said:

To fix this, re-map each channel by Editing it (in the Live TV -> Channels screen): select Guide data source = none, save, then re-edit, select Guide Data Source "Emby Guide Data...", make sure the correct Guide data channel is selected, Save.

Boom, the guide data updates.

You forgot a step. :)

On 5/9/2022 at 6:41 PM, cayars said:

PS Don't forget to register/donate to NextPVR. They've been great supporting us and helping to test the new plugin framework.
https://www.nextpvr.com/donate.html

Of course you'll want to thoroughly test things and make sure everything works but remember to follow the link above to say a little thanks.

I have a feeling the reason you didn't get guide data at the start was from an uncomplete refresh that didn't get to fully remove the old records.  It likely would have self correctly on the next update.  But thanks to your detailed log of steps I'll see if I can reproduce this.

Thanks for documenting the steps you took, very helpful.

On 5/10/2022 at 2:34 AM, emveepee said:

Ok I thought I was beta testing this and since there still are major unaddressed issues, I didn't know you had released it.

Martin

The plugin catalog adjusts the catalog view you see based on the version of the server you are running. Anyone on the release would see the older style plugin while anyone running the current beta would get the plugin beta that matches the server plugin frame work being used for TV.

I've been testing it against a couple server's I've got setup and it's working well for me or I wouldn't have suggested he try this yet. But even with a glitch or two it's still a better solution. :)

On 5/10/2022 at 7:36 AM, SHSPVR said:

Actually the new plugin framework is sort of doing that for you behind the scenes only it's doesn't need you to hand modify the streams like you would need to do using an m3u file. Without the additional parameter you can only use one channel at a time. The additional parameter with a unique value allows multiple channels to be used at the same time. It not hard to do but requires you have a text file on disk for Emby to load.  With the new plugin you don't need the file so Emby picks up any channel changes directly from NextPVR if they change.  Makes for a cleaner/easier solution for most people. But if you already have a working m3u file setup that works you're all set as well.  Either way will work.

Edited by cayars

SHSPVR
3 hours ago, cayars said:

Actually the new plugin framework is sort of doing that for you behind the scenes only it's doesn't need you to hand modify the streams like you would need to do using an m3u file. Without the additional parameter you can only use one channel at a time. The additional parameter with a unique value allows multiple channels to be used at the same time. It not hard to do but requires you have a text file on disk for Emby to load.  With the new plugin you don't need the file so Emby picks up any channel changes directly from NextPVR if they change.  Makes for a cleaner/easier solution for most people. But if you already have a working m3u file setup that works you're all set as well.  Either way will work.

Dose it put the file in Emby Recording folder or NextPVR Recording folder and you right my m3u file setup that works very well no complaints there now all I need is Emby to support intelligent recording then I haven't made in the shade with out having to manually move time slot recordings to different times slot for my 2 HD-PVR analog recorder

Emby's in the new Plugin frame uses NextPVR like a tuner.
So guide, scheduling, recording all take place in Emby and will be stored where ever you have your DVR recording set to.

But I think you're asking a simpler question of which system does the recording and that's Emby.

I want Intelligent recording as well and I bet we could both create a list of "must have" features too. :)

Edited by cayars
  • Like 1

SHSPVR
7 minutes ago, cayars said:

Emby's in the new Plugin frame uses NextPVR like a tuner.
So guide, scheduling, recording all take place in Emby and will be stored where ever you have your DVR recording set to.

But I think you're asking a simpler question of which system does the recording and that Emby.

I want Intelligent recording as well and I bet we could both create a list of "must have" features too. :)

I'm sure we could 🤣 All ready done

Edited by SHSPVR
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
lowend15

Hi, thanks for the posts they have been helpful to get setup.  I am on Windows 10, coming from Windows Media Center, and changing channels takes less than a second (Hauppauge Quad).  On NextPVR and/or Emby it takes like 7 or 8 seconds.  Another weird thing in NextPVR, the sound doesn't always come on unless I backup or skip forward to seemingly prompt a refresh.

The audio issue doesn't seem to exist with Emby, but the tuning delay is there.

I have a stout computer and wondering if this is normal or if there's a setting/best practice I'm unaware of?  I'm trying to find a WMC replacement and I'm seeing the same issues I ran into a few years ago when I gave up on replacing it last time.

arrbee99

You probably know already, but in NextPVR v5, in their web app, under Devices, there's a setting to 'Keep digital tuners primed', which might help. You won't get it down to a second though.

• Like 1

sub3

The bulk of your 7 or 8 seconds will be Emby, rather then NextPVR.

NextPVR will be delivering the stream to Emby within a quarter second or so of the tuner having locked the signal. Players (like Emby in this case) often add a lot of their own delays analysing/buffering/transcoding the stream

Watching in NextPVR.exe, channel changes often take about second here with my Hauppauge DVB-T tuner. 

Edited by sub3
  • Like 1

emveepee
9 hours ago, lowend15 said:

I'm trying to find a WMC replacement and I'm seeing the same issues I ran into a few years ago when I gave up on replacing it last time.

Make sure you test with Direct Play clients and and not the apps web clients.  I am confident that with NextPVR only we can reduce the time. the near WMC times since they both use the BDA infrastructure.  After configuring NextPVR, you can then hook up Emby which seems to add less than one second in my testing.

I don't consider either Emby or NextPVR replacements for WMC.  WMC lacks so many features of a modern PVR, they are really upgrades.  Plus for many using an  old-school HTPC as a client is dead.

Martin

Edited by emveepee
  • Like 1

lowend15
17 hours ago, arrbee99 said:

You probably know already, but in NextPVR v5, in their web app, under Devices, there's a setting to 'Keep digital tuners primed', which might help. You won't get it down to a second though.

I’ll try that- I saw it but wasn’t sure what it did and I ran out of time last night to tinker more.  
One thing I didn’t do was install WinTv, either 8.x or 10.  Just the Hauppauge drivers, same as I use them with WMC, so hope that isn’t the issue.

The 7-8 seconds was with the nextPVR fullscreen app; Emby did not take any longer than NextPVR.  I haven’t donated/unlocked yet since I wasn’t sure whether this would be my solution or not given the initial issues.

lowend15
9 hours ago, emveepee said:

Plus for many using an  old-school HTPC as a client is dead.

Yeah I’d like to only use it as a server, and for gaming.  I have an appletv in another room and trying to get this up and going to use that as a client so I don’t have to split HDMI anymore and just use the network.  CEC control for the other room works well and has simplified what used to be a rather complex zone 2 control.

emveepee
9 minutes ago, lowend15 said:

The 7-8 seconds was with the nextPVR fullscreen app; Emby did not take any longer than NextPVR.  I haven’t donated/unlocked yet since I wasn’t sure whether this would be my solution or not given the initial issues.

This would be for the NextPVR forums not here.  If you are getting 7-8 seconds in Emby then you should have opened a new thread, although I thought Emby needed WinTV installed.

Martin

sub3
1 hour ago, lowend15 said:

If you want to post the logs over at the NextPVR forums, I'm happy to look where that time is being spent. 

• Like 1