TV Guide Blank on LG Smart TV

jradams76
Go to solution Solved by jradams76,

jradams76

I just got a HD Homerun Quatro and hooked it up to my network.  I went into the Live TV Emby Server settings.  The server found the Homerun.  I chose Over The Air antenna as my option and picked Emby guide data as my guide option.  I provided my zip code as well and refreshed the guide data.  When it was done I check the guide on the TV and its blank am I doing something wrong?  

Edited by jradams76

rbjtech

Have you been through the KB article on how to set this up ?

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001848794-hdhomerun-setup

A key reason to have no channels is you may have marked it to show 'favourites' only (in Emby) but then selected no 'favourites' on the HDHR itself.

Edited by rbjtech

jradams76
19 hours ago, rbjtech said:

Have you been through the KB article on how to set this up ?

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001848794-hdhomerun-setup

A key reason to have no channels is you may have marked it to show 'favourites' only (in Emby) but then selected no 'favourites' on the HDHR itself.

Hey thanks for the link.  I checked to make sure if I had the show favorites only checked and it is not checked same with the allow hardware encoding.  They are both unchecked.  I'm using the emby guide data maybe thats whats not working?

can you view channels through the HDHomerun app? i.e. have you configured the Quattro to actually receive the channels in your area and you can view them (outside of emby)? You have to do this through the HDHomerun config setup app before setting up the tuner inside of Emby

jradams76

Yes I can view the channels using the HDHomerun app.  Yes outside of Emby I can see the channels.  The odd thing is the guide is empty and channels are empty in Emby but under live TV for shows it will let me watch TV.

Yes that is definitely a guide loading issue then.  I would just try deleting the guide that you currently have and try reloading (going through the steps of loading) the guide again.  Evidently it either didn't attach your zip code to the correct guide or any guide at all.  See if re-trying works. I also assume that it is a US based zip code? If so then I have no other words of wisdom. I've not had a problem with emby guide not loading OTA for at least 3 different zip codes in 2 different states.  Cable and streaming services is a different matter.

Even with my current OTA guide data, I do have some holes of channels that do not have guide data but I suspect that is a fault of the stations not reporting data to the guide source that emby uses.  Like you, those stations do play video, it's just that you can't tell what is one or upcoming.  Keep trying, you'll likely get it.

rbjtech

The embyserver.txt log file following a server restart should show a lot of information around the guide.  

As an example - a search for 'Guide' on my system shows emby attempting to grab all the channel data ...

2020-09-16 18:20:49.633 Info HttpClient: GET https://data.tmsapi.com/v1.1/lineups/GBR-1000014-DEFAULT/channels?enhancedCallSign=true
2020-09-16 18:20:49.934 Info LiveTV: Found epg channel in Emby Guide Data GBR-1000014-DEFAULT BBC1LDN 30644
2020-09-16 18:20:49.934 Info LiveTV: Found epg channel in Emby Guide Data GBR-1000014-DEFAULT BBC2 17154

If you post your log, we can take a look to see what it is doing or you can search yourself and report back.

If your live TV is working, then as @EZEd has said, it must just be the guide data is not populating - perhaps also worth trying another region (maybe mine above) just to see if it then populates (you can then delete of course).

jradams76

Here are my log files.

I did one after a refresh and noticed there was no guide data so I refreshed the guide data then waited till it was done and provided another log file.  I also provided a screenshot of the mappings.

Thanks for your help on this I really appreciate it.

channel mappings.png

embyserver after server restart.txt embyserver after guide refresh.txt

mark-in-dallas

On the Guide screen, click on the 3 dots above the channels to open the Settings page, go the Categories section and make sure all 4 boxes are checked.  That should fix it for you.  You will need to do the same in the Web App.

20200917_091346.jpg.926fa1233f040ac568106215d6a7f30e.jpg

live-tv.png.dabe2564cf2a5fc28e1c46447a54125b.png

20200917_091428.jpg.790da5e5c96cde9f946e12725121b617.jpg

Edited by mark-in-dallas
  • Like 1

rbjtech

The logs look fine and are doing everything I would expect them to be doing for livetv/guide data.

If you have 'channels' but no guide data itself - then yes, please check what @mark-in-dallas has said as having all the categories unticked would leave you with no guide data (it's there, but all filtered out) - BUT, unless you have unticked them yourself, the default is to have them all ticked which is rather odd..

Edited by rbjtech

jradams76

Thanks everyone for the suggestions but I still have no guide.  Its really weird for sure almost like the TV service isnt starting.  I went to check the guide this morning and its like the service didnt start.  I refreshed the channels and then I saw shows but no guide still.  I also tried changing it to another zip code but still no dice.  Here is another log file.  I saw some errors this time so I'm hopeful it will help.  

Thanks again!

embyserver (2).txt

40 minutes ago, jradams76 said:

Thanks everyone for the suggestions but I still have no guide.  Its really weird for sure almost like the TV service isnt starting.  I went to check the guide this morning and its like the service didnt start.  I refreshed the channels and then I saw shows but no guide still.  I also tried changing it to another zip code but still no dice.  Here is another log file.  I saw some errors this time so I'm hopeful it will help.  

Thanks again!

embyserver (2).txt 244.38 kB · 0 downloads

Hi, is your web based guide still blank?

rbjtech

I would try installing a 2nd brand new instance of emby from a fresh download - use a portable install and install it somewhere else.  You can use the same Premier license key on the 2nd install/instance - that should not be a problem.  

rbjtech

@Luke / @CBers / @cayars- Could we also possibly move this topic to 'Live TV' as it doesn't actually have anything to do with the LG App (as it doesn't work in the Web App either) - so maybe we can get a few more eyes on it to help @jradams76 ?  

Looking at the debug log, everything looks ok .. 

Yay - 1000 posts ! 😃

Edited by rbjtech

mark-in-dallas

Can you post an image or screenshot of what the Guide Page looks like?  Is the entire page blank, or just the program information section?

• Solution
jradams76

Ok I just figured something out and it works now.  I have two users for my Emby.  Family and Mature.  Family has restrictions on anything over 14+ and Mature has all access.  This is to prevent our kids from watching rated R shows.   In the family user settings under the parental controls tab there is a section to block items with no or unrecognized rating information.  I unchecked this for live TV and now the guide showed up.   Sorry for all the confusion and huge thanks for everyone helping troubleshoot.  I feel dumb :(

• Like 2

Glad you got it figured out! Wanna mark the thread answered?  Just select your own message as the answer.

rbjtech

Glad you got it sorted out !  Don't feel dumb - We've all been 'there' before !

Plus a useful record for the next person with these symptoms. 👍