Old School PIP

demian42

Hi.  Is there any way to have PIP and switch back and forth between the 2 channels ?   Like the olden days ?   I don't see this on any of the media server platforms out there.   Emby is my go to .... would love to see it here.   

Note :   googling PIP has people fawning over Plex having the stream in a little box while you browse menus.   Kodi has done this well for a long time I believe.  

emveepee

Actually NextPVR v4 does PIP but it wasn't used all that much and there have been very few comments after it was removed from the fat client in v5

Kodi doesn't do PIP but it is a requested feature.

Martin

I'd like to have this myself during football season.  The mini box that Plex uses doesn't really do much as you can still only have one video playing.

Often times when I want to do something like this I'll set it up on my notebook and then cast the whole desktop to my TV.   Not elegant but works.

1 hour ago, cayars said:

I'd like to have this myself during football season.  The mini box that Plex uses doesn't really do much as you can still only have one video playing.

Often times when I want to do something like this I'll set it up on my notebook and then cast the whole desktop to my TV.   Not elegant but works.

What are you using on your notebook ?

Depends on what I'm trying to playback.  If it's all live from m3u files (can also be HDHomeRun devices) then no notebook required as this can be done on Android TV using an app such as IIPTV Smarters Pro https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nst.iptvsmarterstvbox&hl=en_US

Here's a youtube video giving you an idea how this works:

Doing this with my HDHR network tuner seems like a workable option for sure.  I have never got up to speed on IPTV for other streams - including a lot of dead end trial and error with tvheadend.  

I still wish I could do this from emby, in the guide, just tooling around without breaking out and setting up a different ap.  But hey, I need something to work towards .....

Yes I just generate an M3U for the HDHomeRuns and use that. I have a python script available to do this if anyone needs it.

Tivimate is actually better for this type of thing but requires an upgrade (monthly or lifetime) to do it.  Highly recommended as it's easier to use with a nice UI.

I only use this for football games and know the channels I want to use (lookup in Emby guide) so I haven't bothered with EPG guide data as it's not needed for my use.

I still record the games in Emby for later viewing and for archiving.