Major interface setup problems

NJ RadioGuy

NJ RadioGuy

In that case, no, I don't have an extender <g>. We have only one television so that's the one to which the PC is connected.

Without MB3 and MB-C on my system, at this point, there's not much experimentation I can do until I try to do all this again. If I could do it in 3 or 4 hours I would, but given the previous attempt was unsuccessful after 3 days, I doubt this will be the case, so the attempt will have to wait until I have some time to dedicate to the process without family pressures.

Now that said, what would be the point in disabling the new player in MBC settings, versus just leaving things as they are now in 2.4.0R (i.e. fully working, but with an ancient interface)? Isn't the whole idea to get the new interface going with whatever new features are present? What does MB-C do differently (or better) than MB2, for that matter? I found a few nice things, but I was just scratching the surface.

techywarrior

Well, the new player in MBC is just some eye candy that ebr was able to create on top of the WMC video player. By disabling the new player you will still get all the benefits of MB3 just without some eye candy on the player itself.

Benefits of MB3 over MB2? Well, that's a really long list but here are some highlights and things that I personally find useful (I am sure others can chime in with things that they find beneficial)

• Separated the server (backend) component from the front end (MBC)
  • Web access to the server so you can manage media from any computer
  • Ability to watch your media on a plethora of devices all from the server
  • MBC is faster then MB2
  • much better meta data matching
  • support for specials, subtitles, multiple audio streams (client dependent)
  • Better multi user support
  • Parental controls for user accounts based on movie ratings

The other big thing is the MB2 is no longer supported and some of it's functionality has stopped working due to changes by the services it used or plugins that are no longer maintained.

Although MBT is in the process of being re-written (and was only an alpha before) you can see that as an example of something that wasn't possible in MB2. There are also clients for Windows 8, iPad, Android, WindowsPhone 8, Roku, etc.

This can allow you to watch your content on multiple devices (even at the same time someone is using the TV) with no additional work (other then purchasing/downloading the client app).

techywarrior

Oh, I forgot to mention. You can install the server component without effecting MB2. You just need to uninstall MB2 before you install MBC. So you can setup the server, get it all ready and then once you have family free time, uninstall MB2 and install MBC.

Are you really on MB version 2.4.0?  That is really old even in MB 2 terms (the last version was 2.6.2).

In any case, when you have the time and inclination, we'll be here to help you through the process.

Out of curiosity, what kind of TV is it?  Is it a CRT or rear-projection unit?

NJ RadioGuy

Are you really on MB version 2.4.0?  That is really old even in MB 2 terms (the last version was 2.6.2).

In any case, when you have the time and inclination, we'll be here to help you through the process.

Out of curiosity, what kind of TV is it?  Is it a CRT or rear-projection unit?

It's a 52" Sharp Aquos LED, and I'm using the VGA output from the HTPC (I could never get HDMI to sync audio properly and VGA looks almost as good). Cable and Blu-Ray player both connected via HDMI to an Onkyo receiver/amp and HDMI to the TV.

Edited by NJ RadioGuy

techywarrior

Not that this is related to your issue, but when you couldn't get the audio to sync over HDMI were you using optical/coax out to your receiver and HDMI to the TV? Or was the HDMI to your receiver and then from there to the TV? Just asking because if you split the audio out (so optical/coax goes to receiver and then HDMI goes to the TV) you will need to disable the 120hz (whatever they call it for that TV) as the TV does post image processing and it messes up the audio syncing. It may even mess up if it's HDMI straight to the receiver and then to the TV (that depends more on the TV and receiver as I believe ARC can be used to "fix" it).

Anyway, my personal opinion is that all those TV's that try and do frame interpolation are mostly just trying to add another checkbox/feature on the box and care less about how the TV is actually used.

Even tho your WMC setup has been working fine you may want to try the TV setup portion again and change it to PC monitor instead of LCD and see if that changes anything. Ideally you would want to see if you can find a combination that doesn't actually have any over or under scan. It may also require adjusting a setting on the TV itself (mine actually had a PC setting for display type that I didn't notice for 2+ years. I had overscan for a long time until I started playing around after I upgraded my HTPC).

Ah - is that a rear projection LCD or true full flat panel?

The RGB interface is probably the source of the issue.  There may be settings in your graphics card drivers that could help too.

NJ RadioGuy

I forget the exact path I used for HDMI, but when I found something that worked reliably (VGA) I left it at that, and until I get a better receiver with more HDMI ports, (4 in, rather than two), I'll probably leave things as they are. i.e. working.

I'm hesitatant to mess with the TV Proper since it's working 100% reliably with my cable box and Blu-Ray player. And although I rarely use the BR-D player at all, I'd say 75-80% of our family's TV watching is done via the cable box, not the HTPC. So if I mess with the TV, won't that affect all playbacks? I think I may have the time to mess with the HTPC again in a few days when the rest of the thundering horde is off shopping and at the cinema, but I really would like to make this all happen within a few hours,not a few days.

If/when I do this again, I expect the following steps to go something like this:

1. Perform a full system partition backup to my NAS, and set a restore point in Windows 7 System Restore
  2. Uninstall MB 2.4.0R
  3. Install MB3 Server.
  4. Configure MB3 Server (this time using UNC paths),
  5. Restart MB3 Server 38 times until it stops hanging on media scanning.
  6. Perform Windows Media Centre setup (what settings should I use here--as I said, it's been years since I first did it.
  7. Install Media Browser Classic.
  8. Attempt to configure MB-C.
  9. Curse like a sailor. Repeatedly
  10. Disable the MB-C player
  11. Curse like a drunken sailor in a brothel.
  12. ???
  13. Profit.

That's sort of the way things were left last time. I suspect I'll have one full morning/afternoon/evening and a bit of a second day to do this, but no more. Since I don't really breathe A/V equipment as a hobby, your guidance will be tremendously appreciated, to be sure.

NJ RadioGuy

Ah - is that a rear projection LCD or true full flat panel?

The RGB interface is probably the source of the issue.  There may be settings in your graphics card drivers that could help too.

No, it's a true flat-panel display, purchased around the early part of 2012 if memory serves. It's a Sharp LC52LE830U. http://www.sharpusa.com/ForHome/HomeEntertainment/LCDTV/Archives/LC52LE830U.aspx.

If it had never worked on this HTPC with MB2 or Windows Media Center (or VLC player from the desktop or any other player) I would tend to agree with you that the VGA out is the issue. But that is not the case. Until I attempted to use Media Browser Classic, every source of playback on that PC worked 100% flawlessly after its initial setup. This is solely an MB-C (player??) issue that I'm having.

Edited by NJ RadioGuy

Vidman

I forget the exact path I used for HDMI, but when I found something that worked reliably (VGA) I left it at that, and until I get a better receiver with more HDMI ports, (4 in, rather than two), I'll probably leave things as they are. i.e. working.

I'm hesitatant to mess with the TV Proper since it's working 100% reliably with my cable box and Blu-Ray player. And although I rarely use the BR-D player at all, I'd say 75-80% of our family's TV watching is done via the cable box, not the HTPC. So if I mess with the TV, won't that affect all playbacks? I think I may have the time to mess with the HTPC again in a few days when the rest of the thundering horde is off shopping and at the cinema, but I really would like to make this all happen within a few hours,not a few days.

If/when I do this again, I expect the following steps to go something like this:

• Perform a full system partition backup to my NAS, and set a restore point in Windows 7 System Restore
  • Uninstall MB 2.4.0R
  • Install MB3 Server.
  • Configure MB3 Server (this time using UNC paths),
  • Restart MB3 Server 38 times until it stops hanging on media scanning.
  • Perform Windows Media Centre setup (what settings should I use here--as I said, it's been years since I first did it.
  • Install Media Browser Classic.
  • Attempt to configure MB-C.
  • Curse like a sailor. Repeatedly
  • Disable the MB-C player
  • Curse like a drunken sailor in a brothel.
  • ???
  • Profit.
That's sort of the way things were left last time. I suspect I'll have one full morning/afternoon/evening and a bit of a second day to do this, but no more. Since I don't really breathe A/V equipment as a hobby, your guidance will be tremendously appreciated, to be sure.
As has been already mentioned, You can install and configure mb3 server now without it affecting your current setup.... When it is all set up and working nicely from the web client you can uninstall mb2 and install / configure MBC Edited by Vidman

NJ RadioGuy

I had no problem at first getting MB3 Server running, so I suspect that will be somewhat painless on the second go-around, and from your comments, I'm assuming that MB2 talks to MB3/Server just as it does the service component of MB2 itself.

techywarrior

I had no problem at first getting MB3 Server running, so I suspect that will be somewhat painless on the second go-around, and from your comments, I'm assuming that MB2 talks to MB3/Server just as it does the service component of MB2 itself.

No, MB2 is completely self contained. It doesn't talk to MB3 at all. MBC and MB2 can't be installed at the same time. Probably not worth going into the reasons since it's immaterial for this discussion.

Vidman

no it does not... That is why you can install mb3 server now without affecting your mb2 setup... As mb2 will continue to use the mb2 service

Thus you can make sure the server side of mb3 is all set up to your liking and all metadata downloaded before you switch from mb2 to mbc.

It also means you can try it out on any of the other mb3 compatible devices you may have while leaving your mb2 setup still fully functional

Edited by Vidman
  • Like 1

NJ RadioGuy

no it does not... That is why you can install mb3 server now without affecting your mb2 setup... As mb2 will continue to use the mb2 service

Thus you can make sure the server side of mb3 is all set up to your liking and all metadata downloaded before you switch from mb2 to mbc.

It also means you can try it out on any of the other mb3 compatible devices you may have while leaving your mb2 setup still fully functional

OK, now that makes complete sense, and was part of what I wasn't understanding. I am installing MB3 Server tonight (overnight) and letting it scan overnight. The media library scan is horriffically slow (1% per hour, it would seem). I've accepted all the defaults in MB3 setup, although I did change the libraries from mapped drives to UNC paths.

I also re-ran the Windows Media Centre TV setup to include Flat panel, VGA, 16:9 and I'm rebuilding the libraries from within WMC as well as MB3 Server. The Horde will get to watch a DVD or live TV tomorrow if I have any say in the matter, and I have the HTPC running in a remote session from my office PC so I can see what its progress is like. Oooh. It just ticked up from 60.4% to 60.7% in the media library scan in the 5 minutes it's taken me to compose this message! It may, in fact, be ready before the next doomsday event strikes Earth!

BATTLE DONKEY

Have you tried the settings on your TV like I suggested? Your TV is modern and should have a setting for your overscan issues that won't affect all your other devices plugged in.

I understand your hesitation not wanting to play around with what has been working for you, but I suggest you go thru the settings on your TV and see what you find, don't start clicking random things all at once, but look for a setting such as "picture size". My TV " picture size" setting came out of the box set to 16:9 which worked for everything except MB 2.something whatever I was at, after some googling I found my answer was the "picture size" setting. Scrolling thru the settings from 16:9 to 4:3 some other stretch modes I found an option labeled "just scan" it gives me true pixel mapping and no more underscan/overscan issues and all my other components still display the picture just the same as before, the setting is pretty much just for PCs. Your TV is much newer than mine so it 100% should have a setting for it, keeping in mind that different manufactures name it differently. Mine is a Samsung so Sharp might be called something else.

Just look for the setting, don't go crazy clicking everything all at once, when u find it test it and see the results, if they're not optimal switch back to the original setting and you won't feel the families wrath.

Hope it helps, and as you can probably see, we are all here to try to help and give u the best experience with MB

NJ RadioGuy

OK. So here we are. More troubles, and it's all worse-off than it was last week. MB3 Server (version 3.0.5039.26857) is installed and running on the HTPC, but is not accessible from any other PC on the network. I can ping its host machine (192.168.1.6) but any attempt to connect to port 8096 fails. During setup last week I'd downloaded MB Theater to my desktop PC in the office and it connected to the server in the den (nothing would play, but at least it connected). Now it's failing. So....now what? Yes, I restarted the machine (three times, in fact). No change. No access.

I have also tried connecting to the remote access URL stipulated in the Server panel of the dashboard on the local PC.

On the upside, the scan completed overnight. But we're now at a point where the server is there in theory but completely inaccessible. Gaaah!

Edited by NJ RadioGuy

NJ RadioGuy

I haven't a clue. I'm looking at the "allow programs to communicate through Windows Firewall" settings on the server machine and I see two instances of mediabrowser.serverapplication.exe. Why is it there twice (once from the initial install, once from the reload, maybe??)? SHOULD it be in there twice? Is it problematic that it's there twice?

I have checked the tickboxes for both Home/Work and Public beside each instance but it has made no difference. We're rapidly approaching the point where I give up, incidentally. This should be something that auto-configures. I am not a computer engineer and this stuff breaks my brain unless I am given step-by-step "tell-me-like I'm a five-year-old" level of instruction.

Vidman

It may be there twice because it uses two ports 8096 and something else... And maybe you should relax and le t the guys here help you to work through it rather than give up... Anything network related is extremely difficult to auto-configure as every setup is completely unique.

How is it worse than last week? Is mb2 not working for you?

Do you know how to attach screenshots to your posts? That will let the guys here see what your issues maybe a bit clearer than trying to explain

Edited by Vidman

NJ RadioGuy

No, the server component itself is less-functional in that I can't access it from any other machine on the LAN. Thus I have no way to determine what is going on or even if it's working at all, and I can't access it remotely unless I VNC into the den system and interact directly.

Vidman

..... That is not an answer..... Is mb2 still working for you yes or no?

I think you have a pebkac issue ;)

Edited by Vidman

We do try to auto configure these things and, in 95% of the cases, it works great (which is why you don't see very many questions out here about this type of problem).  But, on some systems, due to either security setup or the user refusing the prompt when it is produced, it doesn't work.

Do you recall the first time you started the server Windows producing a prompt that said something like "Media Browser Server wants to communicate on the internet, allow?".  Do recall how you responded?

In any case, try disabling your firewall altogether on the server machine.  Then see if you can access the MB server.  If so, the problem is the firewall configuration and we can get further into that.  If not, then the problem is elsewhere.

NJ RadioGuy

..... That is not an answer..... Is mb2 still working for you yes or no?

I think you have a pebkac issue ;)

MB2 is working. The plan was to get MB3 Server set up, test it and ensure it's running smoothly before removing MB2 and putting MB-Classic in its place.

MB 3 Server was set up, I can access it on the local machine but not across the LAN.

We do try to auto configure these things and, in 95% of the cases, it works great (which is why you don't see very many questions out here about this type of problem).  But, on some systems, due to either security setup or the user refusing the prompt when it is produced, it doesn't work.

Do you recall the first time you started the server Windows producing a prompt that said something like "Media Browser Server wants to communicate on the internet, allow?".  Do recall how you responded?

In any case, try disabling your firewall altogether on the server machine.  Then see if you can access the MB server.  If so, the problem is the firewall configuration and we can get further into that.  If not, then the problem is elsewhere.

I did allow connections upon setup. To be 100% certain, I uninstalled MB 3 Server (leaving the cache but removing all the settings and configurations) and re-installed it, confirming the firewall exception. No change; I am still unable to access the server using the URL http://192.168.1.6:8096/mediabrowser, or using the public-IP link in the General screen.

I disabled the firewall (or thought I did) and instantly got a different kind of fail message. Normally it takes about 20-30 seconds before it fails, but with my firewall switched off it failed instantly. I am re-re-re-re-rebooting now (5x so far). Let's see what happens. I will respond shortly, after sandwich intake has been achieved.

techywarrior

That's some pretty weird behavior. Turning off the firewall still failed to allow you to connect from another machine on the LAN? And yet it works fine on the local machine.

Can you post the error you are getting when the firewall is off? By any chance, do you have any other software that could be creating a firewall (some anti-virus programs etc.)