Two advices for Emby server

quatre1love

quatre1love

Hi Emby Devs,

During in my using emby Linux server, I found out some small functional out of emby, I really hope you can prove them in the further soon.

1. FFprobe and FFmpeg read video dimensions.

Once we add a new library, emby would using FFprobe and FFmpeg to read the video details like rate, size and colour.  It waste too many times when I hold thousands of videos.  This function can be started after all metadata appeared and the time of system idle.  It will be more friendly for the server owner when they rebuild or migrate.

2. The subtitle offset

When we play a video, sometimes we can't found a right version subtitle for this video, but KODI and Jellyfin can use subtitle offset to config how many ms after or before for the subtitle, it will be easier for the watcher.

KIND REGARDS.

Happy2Play
22 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, #1 is not possible. 

I know it would have to be Optional, but why can't Emby be configured to probe on demand just like strm files?

quatre1love
14 hours ago, Luke said:

It's always a possibility.

Thanks, could you let me know how to set the FFprobe and FFmpeg after metadata refresh when we add a new library.

3 minutes ago, quatre1love said:

Thanks, could you let me know how to set the FFprobe and FFmpeg after metadata refresh when we add a new library.

Hi, I'm not really sure what you're asking. Can you please elaborate a little bit more? Thanks.

quatre1love
2 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, I'm not really sure what you're asking. Can you please elaborate a little bit more? Thanks.

I am asking about the timeing of FFprobe and FFmpeg read the video dimension after we add a new library.

The current steps looks like

1. discover the folders which have video files.

2. FFprobe and FFmpeg read video dimensions

3. refresh the metadata

4. repeat step 2 and 3 for next video folder

The most time has wated on step 2, is that possible to set with

1. discover the folders which have video files.

2. refresh the metadata

3. refresh next metadata

4. FFprobe and FFmpeg read video dimension after all metadata refreashed.

quatre1love
1 minute ago, Luke said:

there's nothing you need to do. the server handles all of this internally.

Yes, I know it, but my thinking may helpd server owner rebuild and migrate their servers more friendly and easier.  Because I am helping others to choose and set up the emby servers, it is a big problem when I rebuild the libraries.

By the way, I found out your the emby html5 web app used the outdate programming.  A 942kb page used 180 requests.

I hope you also can update your web app soon.

2020-09-14 02.27.59.jpg