[Tutorial]Downgrade from DSM 7.0 to DSM 6.2.3

Many people have upgraded DSM7.0, but Emby is no longer available, so here's how to downgrade from DSM7.0 to DSM6.2.3.

1. Get putty ready

2. DSM7.0 opens Telnet and SSH

3. Use puTTY to connect to DSM7, enter the user password, and enter the following command code:

vi /etc.defaults/VERSION

4.Overwrite VERSION content:

majorversion="6"
minorversion="2"
productversion="6.2.3"
buildphase="GM"
buildnumber="25426"
smallfixnumber="0"
builddate="2020/07/01"
buildtime="06:24:39"

5.Reboot the machine

6.Use the Synology Assistant to find the machine

7.Install DSM 6.2.3(At this point, the upgrade will prompt an error, don't worry, because at this point, Telnet port will be opened, and only after this step, can port 23 be opened, repeat point 3, but the user name: root password is: 101-0101)

8.Just install 6.2.3 again. It is recommended not to keep the configuration (the file will not be lost), and DSM7 has been successfully degraded to DSM6.2.3

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
norky78

is there any way to find more information on this guide please. I have followed it a few times now and tried to fill in the gaps else where but am still having no joy with it 

Can you not install Emby manually like we have to as it's not getting 'signed off' by Synology? 

I didn't realise DSM 7 was out,

@Luke Does Emby not work with DSM 7?

norky78

its beta at the moment and there's a few things not working. Just thought I would give this a try but so far am having no joy

3 hours ago, GiGo said:

Can you not install Emby manually like we have to as it's not getting 'signed off' by Synology? 

I didn't realise DSM 7 was out,

@Luke Does Emby not work with DSM 7?

DSM 7 is not out. It's an alpha release. You cannot install Emby on it yet using Package Manager (same applies for Plex). You can install Emby using Docker on DSM 7.

Luke and his team are working on it, but I imagine, as DSM 7 is alpha, they are not prioritizing it yet. The have posted a first attempt, but no joy.

• Like 1
norky78

How do i get round this "E12: Can't open file for writing" It happens every time i try to save

Edited by norky78
Sorted. if anyone else gets stuck at this point at when you do part 3 for the first time put "sudo" before you type "vi /etc.defaults/VERSION"
  • 3 weeks later...