But these are still there -not running but no uninstall option-

Python2

SMB Service

Active Insight

SAN Manager

Secure Sign in Service

Dan

Zoroli & Kevincm

Hi Guys/Gals? Thanks for your help in making it possible to restore 6.2.3 on my NAS when I found DSM 7 no longer supported facial recognition on the 218! Something Synology would not help me with!

Have a good New Year and thanks again.

Mike

AmilcarVieira

kevincm - i have done all the steps  but when my synology restart and i enter by telnet and use root and pwd 101-0101 and type command  i get this error, can you please help me?

image.png.823cc92f91ddc53e1349cc12dedf50ad.png

synologger

I am trying to downgrade DSM7.0 to DSM 6.2.3 on my DS220j.

I keep getting the error that minimum version must be DSM 7.0; despite telnetting and updating the VERSION file with the right info. Anyone else facing this? I have tried atleast 10 times.

Pls help.

thx

BrianWalker
On 12/27/2020 at 3:13 PM, AmilcarVieira said:

kevincm - i have done all the steps  but when my synology restart and i enter by telnet and use root and pwd 101-0101 and type command  i get this error, can you please help me?

Same problem here. I've done all the steps, but while trying the second editing I get the error -ash: sudo: not found

trying to edit the file without sudo doesn't work.

Any ideas how to fix this problem?

i followed instructions given and completed downgrade.  After editing,  :wq command will save and restart your synology. you will try to upload old version but it will warn and say please install 7.0 or higher. at this time you will connect telnet again with root username and password , you will see sudo error. after i try shift + insert and started to delete it become writable so i did same editing and with :wq command it started with version 6 installation screen.

Luckily it asks whether you want to keep your old system or other datas. For me i didn't lose any data.

Thanks for your explanation, it worked  for me

• Haha 1

On 08/01/2021 at 04:02, BrianWalker said:

Same problem here. I've done all the steps, but while trying the second editing I get the error -ash: sudo: not found

Use SSH. Google it, should work

On 12/20/2020 at 4:12 AM, kevincm said:

I followed Zoroli's steps and they worked for me. I've written down exactly the steps I took in order to successfully downgrade from DSM 7.0 to 6.2.3: Hopefully this a little clearer for some people and might help out:

1. Ensure you have a telnet client available on your PC, and also ensure you have downloaded Synology Assistant to your PC

2. In DSM 7.0, enable Telnet and SSH access

3. Using telnet, connect to your Synology NAS from your PC: (x.x.x.x is the IP address of your NAS)

telnet x.x.x.x

4. Run the following command on your NAS:

sudo vi /etc.defaults/VERSION

5. Replace the entire contents of that file with the following:

majorversion="6"
minorversion="2"
productversion="6.2.3"
buildphase="GM"
buildnumber="25426"
smallfixnumber="0"
builddate="2020/07/01"
buildtime="06:24:39"

6. Save the file and reboot your NAS

7. Use the Synology Assistant to find the machine and connect to it

8. Install DSM 6.2.3 using the .pat file downloaded from the Synology download center. The upgrade will start but then quickly show an error stating you are unable to downgrade and must install a version of DSM7. Don't worry, because at this point, Telnet will be available and you will be able to connect to your NAS.

9. Telnet to your NAS like in step 3, but instead of using your account credentials from before, use the following:

username: root

password: 101-0101

10. Repeat steps 4 and 5, replacing the VERSION file with the new contents.

11. Install 6.2.3 again. Your NAS should successfully downgrade to 6.2.3.

I haven't verified that this will retain your data on your disks - I didn't need my data so I performed a factory reset via the GUI before starting these steps.

Hey brother, you're right.

On 1/10/2021 at 8:23 PM, aburak said:

i followed instructions given and completed downgrade. After editing, :wq command will save and restart your synology. you will try to upload old version but it will warn and say please install 7.0 or higher. at this time you will connect telnet again with root username and password , you will see sudo error. after i try shift + insert and started to delete it become writable so i did same editing and with :wq command it started with version 6 installation screen.

Luckily it asks whether you want to keep your old system or other datas. For me i didn't lose any data.

Thanks for your explanation, it worked for me

Yes, no data will be lost, however, I suggest you reinstall all software. Because there may be anomalies.

On 12/27/2020 at 10:13 PM, AmilcarVieira said:

kevincm - i have done all the steps but when my synology restart and i enter by telnet and use root and pwd 101-0101 and type command i get this error, can you please help me?

You must use ssh to operate the whole process, not telnet

Juniordata

Hi.

I just swapped my disks from my DS1812+ to a newer DS1819+ and migrated the system. Worked fine. Access to all data.

Upgraded from 6.2.3 to 7.0. Installed okay I think, but now my volume(data) is gone and I have no access to my data.

Is there a fix for this without loosing all my data? while staying on DSM 7?

Or should I follow the post and try to downgrade back to 6.2.3? Will that give me access to my now lost volume again?

I think it was a SHR volume, but it could've been an ext3? Not totally sure.

Any suggestions?

Damn, i'm stuck on step 8: the Synology Assistent says something where wrong and it opens telnet port 23 for support - but even if i proof that with an portscan, only port 80 and 5000 are opend. I have tried to chmod the VERSION file, but after reboot its changed. I don't know why the damn telnet port wasn't opend on my NAS (DS1515+)

Juniordata
1 hour ago, tosh123 said:

Damn, i'm stuck on step 8: the Synology Assistent says something where wrong and it opens telnet port 23 for support - but even if i proof that with an portscan, only port 80 and 5000 are opend. I have tried to chmod the VERSION file, but after reboot its changed. I don't know why the damn telnet port wasn't opend on my NAS (DS1515+)

After the install fails and it says Telnet is open, just rewrite the VERSION file and the do the install again. 
Don’t reboot after you do the rewrite, just install DSM again. 

10 minutes ago, Juniordata said:

After the install fails and it says Telnet is open, just rewrite the VERSION file and the do the install again. 
Don’t reboot after you do the rewrite, just install DSM again. 

Yes, and my problem is: the telnet is not open, i can't write the file again. I have verified this with a portscan, only 80 and 5000 are open after the failing message from assistent. I have put that notification in the backround, have closesd, have waitet, nothing - the damsn telnet port is not opend.

I have now put a fresh hd in the case, installed DSM7, altered the VERSION file, verified that this "altered" version is written, rebooted. The state of the NAS is now migradable, i can install the 25426.pat until the error, that something is wrong and telnet was started, but: nada, no telnet. i could cry, i need that NAS för 6.2.3-disks and won't update to 7 beacuse of different packages.

Juniordata
54 minutes ago, tosh123 said:

Yes, and my problem is: the telnet is not open, i can't write the file again. I have verified this with a portscan, only 80 and 5000 are open after the failing message from assistent. I have put that notification in the backround, have closesd, have waitet, nothing - the damsn telnet port is not opend.

I have now put a fresh hd in the case, installed DSM7, altered the VERSION file, verified that this "altered" version is written, rebooted. The state of the NAS is now migradable, i can install the 25426.pat until the error, that something is wrong and telnet was started, but: nada, no telnet. i could cry, i need that NAS för 6.2.3-disks and won't update to 7 beacuse of different packages.

Don’t know what to say. 
I just changed Putty from SSH to Telnet and launched. Never did a port scan. 

Georgeeee

Hey guys, I specifically made this account just to comment this.

I'm hitting another wall at step 11: 

image.png.b9aa780acbbf41421639010a83c8b949.png

I've checked the md5, it matches. /etc.defaults/VERSION file is fine as well. Any ideas?

Edited by Georgeeee

@GeorgeeeeDo you have the correct version of DSM 6.2 downloaded for your system? Have you tried re-downloading the file?

Edited by kaj

Georgeeee

Thanks for the quick reply, you make me have hopes in solving this tonight! 

@kajYes, unfortunately the file seems to be the correct one; https://www.synology.com/en-global/support/download/DS418play#system, DSM 6.2.3

It seems there's something being done at 55% which really is hating on this downgrade attempt

EDIT: Oh my God, I've found the issue... I've quickly copy-pasted the VERSION file contents and it seems I've lost the FIRST EMPTY LINE. Now it seems it's passed the installation phase, fingers crossed after 10 minutes it will show 6.2.3 !

image.png.bae6fee35b22fa6250921f43d6f59676.png

EDIT2: It all worked out! Thanks a lot guys for this community and posting the relatively painless way to undo the "undoable". I'll spend some time around here, seems to be a great community! ❤️ 

image.png.4b57d43a10d3f4340dfbfce5f201acf4.png

Edited by Georgeeee
  • Like 1

Georgeeee
On 1/7/2021 at 9:02 PM, BrianWalker said:

You guys don't need sudo, as you're already logged as root, so anything you run will be sudoed. Run the command without SUDO, sudo seems to be removed from the busybox bundled in the fs.

• 3 weeks later...
Xembalo2021

How do you downgrade all packages to working versions? Almost all packages wont start anymore after downgrade to 6.2.3 on my ds.

Thanks

neowam76

I have the following problem

i try to login with 

telnet 192.168.x.x

DiskStation login: root
Password:
Login incorrect

It tells me that the password is wrong

Is this changed?

I was able to do all that and it was working then when I restated my DiskStation locked up.  Wouldn't boot up.  I had to pull out all the hard drives and redo it.  Seems to working now.  I also lost a hard drive.  Man, it was bad.

• 2 weeks later...

HA HA! 

THX for great explanation of "vi" usage... i think im not the only 99% of univers who does not care the mighty "vi"

Briked the syno bullshit! 

Capture1.JPG

Edited by Udzis

• 3 weeks later...
RMandude
On 2/14/2021 at 9:22 AM, neowam76 said:

I have the following problem

i try to login with 

telnet 192.168.x.x

DiskStation login: root
Password:
Login incorrect

It tells me that the password is wrong

Is this changed?

I have similar problem, I can't get past this step:

telnet 192.168.x.x
Trying telnet 192.168.x.x...
Connected to telnet 192.168.x.x.
Password:

Login incorrect

I've entered my password many times and even reset it in DSM but it keeps turning out like this...

• 2 weeks later...
legendsinc
On 12/23/2020 at 2:53 AM, kevincm said:

@msxlerah good catch. You have to use `sudo vi /etc.defaults/VERSION`. Thanks for pointing that out, I've updated my answer above.

Hi, when the installation of dsm 6 fails like it does, I then login using root, etc, but when I try and enter `sudo vi /etc.defaults/VERSION`, it says its invalid so I try `vi /etc.defaults/VERSION`

I repeat steps 4 & 5 and save the replaced data in the version file, then reopen it to see if its still there, it is, BUT when I restart nas and find it in Synology assistant, it says its status is migratable. I try and connect to it, it says there is only one option to migrate, I hit that and it presents me with 2 boxes, one to 'retain system configuration (keep the files and settings) or other window which says 'reset system configurations (keep the files only'

Whichever box i select, it get to 55% and then fails. 

What am I doing wrong???