[Tutorial]Downgrade from DSM 7.0 to DSM 6.2.3

zoroli
Go to solution Solved by kevincm,

Georgeeee
On 1/24/2021 at 12:39 AM, Georgeeee said:

Thanks for the quick reply, you make me have hopes in solving this tonight! 

@kajYes, unfortunately the file seems to be the correct one; https://www.synology.com/en-global/support/download/DS418play#system, DSM 6.2.3

It seems there's something being done at 55% which really is hating on this downgrade attempt

EDIT: Oh my God, I've found the issue... I've quickly copy-pasted the VERSION file contents and it seems I've lost the FIRST EMPTY LINE. Now it seems it's passed the installation phase, fingers crossed after 10 minutes it will show 6.2.3 !

image.png.bae6fee35b22fa6250921f43d6f59676.png

EDIT2: It all worked out! Thanks a lot guys for this community and posting the relatively painless way to undo the "undoable". I'll spend some time around here, seems to be a great community! ❤️ 

image.png.4b57d43a10d3f4340dfbfce5f201acf4.png

@legendsinc my post containing your exact same issue and a Screenshot with the exact commands needed and explanations is literally a few posts up. Ah well, here you go again:

1. After logging in use VI without “sudo” since you’re already root and sudo is missing

2. If your downgrade fails around the 55% mark, you need to add an empty first line in your /etc.defaults/VERSION file as shown below (or in my quoted post)

image.png.bae6fee35b22fa6250921f43d6f59676.png

Cheers!

Edited by Georgeeee

legendsinc
On 12/23/2020 at 2:53 AM, kevincm said:

@msxlerah good catch. You have to use `sudo vi /etc.defaults/VERSION`. Thanks for pointing that out, I've updated my answer above.

Hi, when the installation of dsm 6 fails like it does, I then login using root, etc, but when I try and enter `sudo vi /etc.defaults/VERSION`, it says its invalid so I try `vi /etc.defaults/VERSION`

I repeat steps 4 & 5 and save the replaced data in the version file, then reopen it to see if its still there, it is, BUT when I restart nas and find it in Synology assistant, it says its status is migratable. I try and connect to it, it says there is only one option to migrate, I hit that and it presents me with 2 boxes, one to 'retain system configuration (keep the files and settings) or other window which says 'reset system configurations (keep the files only'

Whichever box i select, it get to 55% and then fails. 

What am I doing wrong???

This is doing my head in.......I followed your steps exactly, saved the file, went back into it and checked that first line was blank and all the corresponding data was there...all ok....

Then go back to Synology Assistant, select install option, it tells me to select the path to installation file which I have downloaded which is 'DSM_DS213j_25556.pat'

As soon as I select it, a box appears saying 'You have to use and installation file with  41222 or above version'......isn't that still referring to dsm 7?

WTF!!!!

When are they releasing DSM 7? 

Georgeeee

Hey, well thanks for providing more info, I think I’ve figured it out.

It appears you’re using a DS213j and you try to flash DSM build 25556. It also appears that the installer requires build 41222 or newer. This is why it fails.

On Synology’s website, can you download a newer build than DSM_DS213j_25556.pat ?

Ideally you’d have at least DSM_DS213j_41222.pat available, but being such an old model, I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s starting to no longer be supported.

All you can do is try to get a newer build, you’re doing nothing wrong.

• 1 month later...
Jonas416Play

Sadly the procedure has rendered my 416Play unusable. At step 7 Synology Assistant will not even attempt to accept the use of DSM_DS416play_25426.pat and complains  I must use version 41222 (Which is DSM 7). 

If I install DSM 7 again, which is all I can do now to get any action from Synology Assistant it fails and gives the error message below.

I have tried to reach out to Synology to see if they can bring my unit back to life but the issue is I have installed additional RAM (now has 8GB in it) so they will likely walk away.

screen-capture-8.jpg

Jonas416Play

Good news: Before I did this attempt I had replaced one of my 4 drives and so I took all 4 current drives out,put the old one in and voila! FIXED. Its booted up into DSM 7...oh well...but at least I will not need to junk the system which is what I thought I was going to have to do.

Fortunately it is a back up server, so all is good. No files lost that cant be backed up to it again.

Edited by Jonas416Play
Hit enter before typing anything

• 1 month later...
marzenta
On 9/12/2020 at 1:06 PM, zoroli said:

8.Just install 6.2.3 again. It is recommended not to keep the configuration (the file will not be lost), and DSM7 has been successfully degraded to DSM6.2.3

If I do not keep the configuration the existing volume will be mantained? (and so the data stored in it?)

Edited by marzenta

zoroli
On 7/20/2021 at 10:35 PM, marzenta said:

If I do not keep the configuration the existing volume will be mantained? (and so the data stored in it?)

Yes, the data will be retained

zoroli
On 5/21/2021 at 2:00 PM, Jonas416Play said:

Sadly the procedure has rendered my 416Play unusable. At step 7 Synology Assistant will not even attempt to accept the use of DSM_DS416play_25426.pat and complains  I must use version 41222 (Which is DSM 7). 

If I install DSM 7 again, which is all I can do now to get any action from Synology Assistant it fails and gives the error message below.

I have tried to reach out to Synology to see if they can bring my unit back to life but the issue is I have installed additional RAM (now has 8GB in it) so they will likely walk away.

screen-capture-8.jpg

Your procedure should not have followed the instructions. If you follow the instructions, this prompt will not appear.

• 1 year later...
iwant2know
On 12/23/2020 at 3:22 PM, Wimfos said:

ik kom via de msdos prompt in het bestand:

majorversion = "6"
minorversion = "2"
productversion = "6.2.3"
buildphase = "GM"
buildnumber = "25426"
smallfixnumber = "0"
builddate = "2020/07/01"
buildtime = "06:24:39"

maar hoe overschrijf ik dat en save ik dat?

Verbingen via SSH doe je beter in PUTTY. De commando's te gebruiken: 'i - insert/edit mode', 'ESC - exit insert/edit mode', ':wq - save changes and quit', ':q! - quit without saving changes'

iwant2know

@kevincmfinally, at the end I succeeded with your guidelines with some minor changes.

I've written down exactly the steps I took in order to successfully downgrade from DSM 7.x to 6.2.x:
Hopefully this will be a little clearer for other people (with less experience) and might help out:

1. Ensure you have a telnet client available on your PC, and also ensure you have downloaded Synology Assistant and the DSM 6.2.x (.pat) file to your PC.
To install Telnet client in command prompt (with elevated rights), execute the command 'dism /online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:TelnetClient' first.
2. In DSM 7.0, enable Telnet and SSH access by checking the related boxes.
3. Using telnet in command prompt, connect to your Synology NAS from your PC: (x.x.x.x is the IP address of your NAS)
telnet x.x.x.x
If you cannot find your NAS IP credentials, fire up Synology Assistant and find your NAS first.
4. (Part 1) Run the following command on your NAS:
'sudo vi /etc.defaults/VERSION'

Available options with this command:

'i' - insert/edit mode
'ESC' - exit insert/edit mode
':wq' - save changes and quit
':q!' - quit without saving changes

5. To edit/replace press the 'i' button and replace the entire block content of that file with the following:

majorversion="6"
minorversion="2"
productversion="6.2.3"
buildphase="GM"
buildnumber="25426"
smallfixnumber="0"
builddate="2020/07/01"
buildtime="06:24:39"

6. Save the edited file by first press [esc] and than typ ':wq'.
Next (shutdown) or reboot your NAS (I did shutdown first and then restart)
7. Use the Synology Assistant to find the machine and connect to it.
8. Install DSM 6.2.3 using the .pat file downloaded from the Synology download center.
The upgrade will start but then quickly show an error stating you are unable to downgrade and must install a version of DSM7.
Don't worry, because at this point, Telnet will be available and you will be able to connect to your NAS.
9. Telnet again into your NAS like in step 3, login as user: 'root' with password: '101-0101' (instead of using your NAS account credentials)  
10. (Part 2) Repeat step 4:
Typ 'vi /etc.defaults/VERSION' (but without ‘sudo’ this time).
And in step 5:
First press 'i' to edit/replace the VERSION file content with the new contents.
When ready press [esc] to first exit the editor and then typ ':wq' to save changes, finally hit [enter] key.
11. Install 6.2.3 again. Your NAS should successfully downgrade to 6.2.3.

Edited by iwant2know