[Tutorial]Downgrade from DSM 7.0 to DSM 6.2.3

zoroli
Go to solution Solved by kevincm,

Many people have upgraded DSM7.0, but Emby is no longer available, so here's how to downgrade from DSM7.0 to DSM6.2.3.

1. Get putty ready

2. DSM7.0 opens Telnet and SSH

3. Use puTTY to connect to DSM7, enter the user password, and enter the following command code:

vi /etc.defaults/VERSION

4.Overwrite VERSION content:

majorversion="6"
minorversion="2"
productversion="6.2.3"
buildphase="GM"
buildnumber="25426"
smallfixnumber="0"
builddate="2020/07/01"
buildtime="06:24:39"

5.Reboot the machine

6.Use the Synology Assistant to find the machine

7.Install DSM 6.2.3(At this point, the upgrade will prompt an error, don't worry, because at this point, Telnet port will be opened, and only after this step, can port 23 be opened, repeat point 3, but the user name: root password is: 101-0101)

8.Just install 6.2.3 again. It is recommended not to keep the configuration (the file will not be lost), and DSM7 has been successfully degraded to DSM6.2.3

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

is there any way to find more information on this guide please. I have followed it a few times now and tried to fill in the gaps else where but am still having no joy with it 

• Like 1

Can you not install Emby manually like we have to as it's not getting 'signed off' by Synology? 

I didn't realise DSM 7 was out,

@Luke Does Emby not work with DSM 7?

3 hours ago, GiGo said:

Can you not install Emby manually like we have to as it's not getting 'signed off' by Synology? 

I didn't realise DSM 7 was out,

@Luke Does Emby not work with DSM 7?

DSM 7 is not out. It's an alpha release. You cannot install Emby on it yet using Package Manager (same applies for Plex). You can install Emby using Docker on DSM 7.

Luke and his team are working on it, but I imagine, as DSM 7 is alpha, they are not prioritizing it yet. The have posted a first attempt, but no joy.

• Like 1

How do i get round this "E12: Can't open file for writing" It happens every time i try to save

Edited by norky78
Sorted. if anyone else gets stuck at this point at when you do part 3 for the first time put "sudo" before you type "vi /etc.defaults/VERSION"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
jrhtaylor

Hi all,

I cannot get this to work. I've gotten as far as saving the VERSION file with the details above. Then I connect using Synology Assistant and the install process wants me to install a .pat file. If I select anything lower than DSM7 it errors. I then Putty to the server but can't connect either via telnet on port 23 or ssh on port 22. Even if I was able to connect what am I supposed to do here, as step 3 only says to open the VERSION file again?? Also, unclear how I am meant to install 6.2.3 pat?? Really appreciate any help here.

• Solution

I followed Zoroli's steps and they worked for me. I've written down exactly the steps I took in order to successfully downgrade from DSM 7.0 to 6.2.3: Hopefully this a little clearer for some people and might help out:

1. Ensure you have a telnet client available on your PC, and also ensure you have downloaded Synology Assistant to your PC

2. In DSM 7.0, enable Telnet and SSH access

3. Using telnet, connect to your Synology NAS from your PC: (x.x.x.x is the IP address of your NAS)

telnet x.x.x.x

4. Run the following command on your NAS:

sudo vi /etc.defaults/VERSION

5. Replace the entire contents of that file with the following:

majorversion="6"
minorversion="2"
productversion="6.2.3"
buildphase="GM"
buildnumber="25426"
smallfixnumber="0"
builddate="2020/07/01"
buildtime="06:24:39"

6. Save the file and reboot your NAS

7. Use the Synology Assistant to find the machine and connect to it

8. Install DSM 6.2.3 using the .pat file downloaded from the Synology download center. The upgrade will start but then quickly show an error stating you are unable to downgrade and must install a version of DSM7. Don't worry, because at this point, Telnet will be available and you will be able to connect to your NAS.

9. Telnet to your NAS like in step 3, but instead of using your account credentials from before, use the following:

username: root

password: 101-0101

10. Repeat steps 4 and 5, replacing the VERSION file with the new contents.

11. Install 6.2.3 again. Your NAS should successfully downgrade to 6.2.3.

I haven't verified that this will retain your data on your disks - I didn't need my data so I performed a factory reset via the GUI before starting these steps.

Edited by kevincm
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Datacom911

I rolled back to 6.2.3 THANK YOU !

Some of the installed packages say beta on them - when I try to manually install non beta versions it says I cant as the installed is newer.

Any advice? 

3 hours ago, Datacom911 said:

Some of the installed packages say beta on them - when I try to manually install non beta versions it says I cant as the installed is newer.

Any advice? 

You mean the beta server, yes that's correct, you can't go backwards in versions. Why do you want to do that?

6 hours ago, Datacom911 said:

Any advice? 

You will probably have to remove the beta versions, as they are built for DSM7, then add the 6.2.3 version.

Next time you want to install a beta version of DSM, please read all the comments on all the forums saying "do not install on your live NAS - unless you want to run into these problems. Either use a spare separate test box, or install in a Virtual Machine on your current NAS" 😉😉

ik kom via de msdos prompt in het bestand:

majorversion = "6"
minorversion = "2"
productversion = "6.2.3"
buildphase = "GM"
buildnumber = "25426"
smallfixnumber = "0"
builddate = "2020/07/01"
buildtime = "06:24:39"

maar hoe overschrijf ik dat en save ik dat?

Aanvulling.

Ok heb versie 7 op mijn Synology geïnstalleerd NAS.

Maar om de gegevens te vervangen door bovenstaande, dat weet ik niet hoe ik dat kan doen.

Svp hulp / uitleg.

In Engels.

I get to the file via the msdos prompt: I have version 7 installed but want to go back to version 6 but how do I replace the data from ms dos?

majorversion = "6"

minorversion = "2"

productversion = "6.2.3"

buildphase = "GM"

buildnumber = "25426"

smallfixnumber = "0"

builddate = "2020/07/01"

but how do I overwrite and save that?

8 hours ago, Wimfos said:

In Engels.

I get to the file via the msdos prompt: I have version 7 installed but want to go back to version 6 but how do I replace the data from ms dos?

majorversion = "6"

minorversion = "2"

productversion = "6.2.3"

buildphase = "GM"

buildnumber = "25426"

smallfixnumber = "0"

builddate = "2020/07/01"

but how do I overwrite and save that?

You really need to SSH (or telnet) into the NAS. That way you can use the 'sudo' command which allows you to edit and save the file as root. I suspect you are seeing the file as read-only and that's why you can't save it.

If you are unsure about SSH and telnet, google them. It's not that complicated. Kevincm's post earlier gives good instructions that work.

hallo, ik kan en hebben de gegevens veranderd via "telnet". Alleallo, ik kan en hebben dens veranderd via "telnet". t ik weet niet hoe op te slaan / op te slaan gewijzigde gegevens

14 minutes ago, Wimfos said:

hello, i can and have changed the data via "telnet".  only I don't know how to save / save that modified data

When you have finished editing the file, using the 'vi' command above, save the file: you must first be in Command mode. Press Esc to enter Command mode, and then type :wq to write and quit the file.

Datacom911

Kaj

All the Synology promos I watched said AI and facial recognition were included. Once I installed I found my model was excluded. I rolled back and some of the packages had an uninstall option so I did as you said. Some however have no uninstall option and wont launch either. They say "notification sent" after they fail but I have no notifications.

I am wondering if there is a way to restore it back to "as built" or new?

Dan