1.4.7 (0) Bugs

unisoft

unisoft

I am on GA of TVOS 13.xx not beta TVOS14.

Apple TV upgraded to 1.4.7 (0) GB.

These were the issues:

1. The SETTINGS tab randomly goes missing as an option on the home screen menu bar, sometimes SEARCH appears listed twice. Minimising the Emby screen and going back in fixes it.
  2. I cannot switch between Apple native player and MPV or set the Mbps playback rate as the PLAYBACK menu option just throws an onscreen error saying "Unable to fetch data". In the previous version this was fine and worked. The error states Line 61613 as the cause (musicQualityOptions). I'm now stuck with the last player selected under the previous version of Emby (which was Apple native for me)
  3. The tabs for Photos in a Video library and tabs for Videos in a Photos library were still present, but thought the release notes said they had been removed? My library was setup as a separate Photos and Videos libraries not the recent new combined library. It makes no sense for additional tabs for another library not relevant as it will show nothing anyway. Emby should honour separate libraries or a combined one - not try and force existing people to change to a combined library as I don't WANT a combined library as I like being able to filter user permissions to view or not view specific libraries.
  4. In LIVE TV under CHANNELS, the logos are not resized to fit a certain size, and some can be massive taking up screen estate and some more normal size. This was evident on previous Emby versions though.

I am connected by HTTPS to a remote server as at my other half's house, but option 2 previously worked and there has been no environment changes to server or router settings.

Hope this helps :)

Edited by unisoft

vdatanet
4 minutes ago, unisoft said:

Apple TV upgraded to 1.4.5.7 (0) GB

I suppose you are talking about 1.4.7 (0), just to clarify to avoid confussion

Edited by vdatanet

unisoft
2 minutes ago, vdatanet said:

I suppose you are talking about 1.4.7 (0), just to clarify to avoid confussion

Yes sorry. Ill try and edit what I can to correct :)

2 mins later - corrected first post version details.....

Edited by unisoft

vdatanet
5 minutes ago, unisoft said:

The SETTINGS tab randomly goes missing as an option on the home screen menu bar, sometimes SEARCH appears listed twice. Minimising the Emby screen and going back in fixes it.

Yes, I reported that in the beta cycle. Maybe it's a tvOS bug.

6 minutes ago, unisoft said:

I cannot switch between Apple native player and MPV or set the Mbps playback rate as the PLAYBACK menu option just throws an onscreen error saying "Unable to fetch data". In the previous version this was fine and worked. The error states Line 61613 as the cause (musicQualityOptions). I'm now stuck with the last player selected under the previous version of Emby (which was Apple native for me)

For me, playback menu option is working as expected.

7 minutes ago, unisoft said:

In LIVE TV under CHANNELS, the logos are not resized to fit a certain size, and some can be massive taking up screen estate and some more normal size. This was evident on previous Emby versions though.

For me logos are resized.

I would try to uninstall and install the app again.

unisoft
2 minutes ago, vdatanet said:

Yes, I reported that in the beta cycle. Maybe it's a tvOS bug.

For me, playback menu option is working as expected.

I can try that, but as my Apple TV 4K 64GB is a locked environment and I never have run betas on it, should users have to completely uninstall and reinstall?

It's also only about a year old and Emby server and Apple TV client kept up to date, latter in terms of TVOS and Emby client.

My emby apps for Roku, LG, Samsung are fine (well with known issues or limitations) and I don't generally have to do that for those.

I wonder if @Corey would now if I have to change a value on the server that resets something that makes the playback options suddenly work again? Wondering if Emby Apple TV app thought there was a null value somewhere...

vdatanet
3 minutes ago, unisoft said:

I don't generally have to do that for those

I have never had to do it either, only when I go back from the beta cycle to the stable cycle. I have simply mentioned it to you in case the configuration file had been damaged due a bad update.

unisoft
16 minutes ago, vdatanet said:

I have never had to do it either, only when I go back from the beta cycle to the stable cycle. I have simply mentioned it to you in case the configuration file had been damaged due a bad update.

Right, uninstalled Emby app and reinstalled.

Option 2 from my original list is now fixed and playback options have appeared.

I did discover a new bug though ;)

As my username are locked down to specific devices only with custom names, when I re-installed Emby again, it just sat on the spinning wheel logo "forever" until I went in to the user account in Emby Server and allowed ALL DEVICES (just to let it in) and after I restricted the devices again on the user account.

I would have expected Emby to protest saying "Access Denied" or "No access for device granted" as error dialogues rather than just sit on a  spinning wheel graphic.

Intuition told me it was treated as a new device (when it wasn't actually) - but can't help wonder how many other people have tripped over on this in the past.

Still doesn't resolve WHY I had to uninstall and reinstall. The update to Emby was done by Apple TV itself when no one was using it (as the place where it is isn't always used daily as had been away). There is no issue with the Cable TV broadband -its 116mbps download and stable broadband at this particular place and its short wired connection using CAT 8 cable.

unisoft
41 minutes ago, vdatanet said:

Nope, on uninstall and re-install the logos are unchanged. Some are MASSIVE others are normal. Yes, I could change the graphic sizes manually and upload as custom images but Emby should do this on the fly to fit a certain size anyway.

On 9/12/2020 at 6:18 AM, unisoft said:

Nope, on uninstall and re-install the logos are unchanged. Some are MASSIVE others are normal. Yes, I could change the graphic sizes manually and upload as custom images but Emby should do this on the fly to fit a certain size anyway.

Would it be possible to get access to your server so I can see if I can see this logo issue that you're referring to? Thanks

On 9/12/2020 at 5:28 AM, unisoft said:
  1. The SETTINGS tab randomly goes missing as an option on the home screen menu bar, sometimes SEARCH appears listed twice. Minimising the Emby screen and going back in fixes it.

I haven't been able to get this to reliably repeat so I can identify the cause.

vdatanet
48 minutes ago, corey said:

I haven't been able to get this to reliably repeat so I can identify the cause.

Since I'm on tvOS 14, I've never seen this again. Maybe it's a tvOS fix, because this smells a tvOS bug. I'll keep an eye on it.

vdatanet
20 hours ago, vdatanet said:

Since I'm on tvOS 14, I've never seen this again. Maybe it's a tvOS fix, because this smells a tvOS bug. I'll keep an eye on it.

No, it's not fixed. In this example Favorites is empty, in Search you see Favorites and in Settings you see Search.

https://streamable.com/s6h5yw

unisoft
On 9/17/2020 at 5:12 PM, corey said:

Thank you @vdatanet!

Ok, update to TVOS14, here are the outstanding issues:

2. The tabs for Photos in a Video library and tabs for Videos in a Photos library were still present, but thought the release notes said they had been removed? My library was setup as a separate Photos and Videos libraries not the recent new combined library. It makes no sense for additional tabs for another library not relevant as it will show nothing anyway. Emby should honour separate libraries or a combined one - not try and force existing people to change to a combined library as I don't WANT a combined library as I like being able to filter user permissions to view or not view specific libraries.
  3. In LIVE TV under CHANNELS, the logos are not resized to fit a certain size, and some can be massive taking up screen estate and some more normal size. This was evident on previous Emby versions though. I can give a copy of the actual logo used - it isn't necessarily the one from schedules direct EPG data as their logo colours often clash.
  4. Music Videos titles can often show the html special characters in their titles on screen like "&". It's not the embedded filename or ID3v2 meta data
  5. At end of playback (new on TVOS 14 for me), the music video played in Apple native Player does not return back to the emby screen and stays at end of video like a freeze frame
  6. As my users are locked down to specific devices only with custom names, when I re-installed Emby again, it just sat on the spinning wheel logo "forever" until I went in to the user account in Emby Server and allowed ALL DEVICES (just to let it in) and after I restricted the devices again on the user account. I would have expected Emby to protest saying "Access Denied" or "No access for device granted" as error dialogues rather than just sit on a  spinning wheel graphic forever.
  7. Scrolling down lists of movies, tv shows or music videos is still clunky and often rolls back up the list whilst scrolling, meaning it takes longer to get further down the list. Happens when you scroll fast. If you do slowly it doesn't reset the list and keeps up but slow is no good as lots of titles or artists to browse past.
Edited by unisoft
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, unisoft said:

The tabs for Photos in a Video library and tabs for Videos in a Photos library were still present, but thought the release notes said they had been removed? My library was setup as a separate Photos and Videos libraries not the recent new combined library.

Hi.  That is no longer a supported library type so the apps are not going to be able to treat them differently.

unisoft
21 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  That is no longer a supported library type so the apps are not going to be able to treat them differently.

I don't get that it was supported back to Media Browser then you whisk it away in a minor update without any advance warning.

What if you like separate libraries because not all users and devices have access to Photos and Videos and only one of them?

Photos and home videos are two different things. One is still pictures, one is moving pictures. A combined library only makes no sense to me.

unisoft

Just tried out the combined Photos and Home Video library. A load of rubbish for me. Backwards move.

Firstly, I have one tile for "Home Videos & Photos" only to go into the library and have menu options "Folders, Videos, Photos".

So 'FOLDERS' menu option in the newly created combined library now has library tile image for 'PHOTOS' and one for 'HOME VIDEOS'. - Giving a folder view as before - except MORE clicks to get there. Usability obviously was not evident when this choice was made! Previously one click to go straight to a folders view of either PHOTOS or HOME VIDEOS when separate libraries.

The useless options of "Videos" and "Photos" just gives a flat file list with no categorisation by folder - in short completely worthless view.

My original statement still stands, put back the separate libraries as an option once again, and when you go into them you just get a FOLDERS view anyway, and remove the Videos and Photos sub-options. I can see in the combined library setup that you can actually exclude photos - so I could create two combined libraries and treat one as JUST Photos and one as Just videos except the menu option would still appear most likely....

Adding this bug here but I can create a new topic if need be: the watched status checkbox isn't appearing per-episode in the season view of TV shows.

• Like 1

vdatanet
36 minutes ago, karlshea said:

Adding this bug here but I can create a new topic if need be: the watched status checkbox isn't appearing per-episode in the season view of TV shows.

Yes, in season view there's not the watched status icon for watched episodes

• 3 weeks later...
vdatanet
On 9/18/2020 at 11:03 PM, unisoft said:

In LIVE TV under CHANNELS, the logos are not resized to fit a certain size, and some can be massive taking up screen estate and some more normal size. This was evident on previous Emby versions though. I can give a copy of the actual logo used - it isn't necessarily the one from schedules direct EPG data as their logo colours often clash.

I have added new channels and I have noticed this. Logos are not resized to fit the grid size.

Apple TV:

120287106_Capturadepantalla2020-10-10alas9_48_36.thumb.png.dde65c037c51783e9c8430c6fbb2a64f.png

Android TV:

Emby_20201010_094704.thumb.png.96c686230884636416fdee8946375fcf.png

vdatanet
Just now, Luke said:

What is the problem in that screenshot?

1st row has 6 channels, second row 5. I have grouped these channels together at the beginning to improve the appearance of the grid, if they are mixed up the grid is completely misaligned.

It is using variable width items. I thought we were only supposed to use that on rows.

21 minutes ago, speechles said:

It is using variable width items. I thought we were only supposed to use that on rows.

This is a part of the tvOS system.  It is the only grid control I've seen that automatically handles grids with different numbers of items in each row but that is just how it behaves.