Saving data

MyMediaAtHome

MyMediaAtHome

I have a Windows and Android server. My questions are when using them on my Android phone.
I want to cast to my ChromeCast.

WiFi
When on WiFi data usage is no problem.

No WiFi / Mobile data
I want to use zero mobile data.

Can Emby automatically block my Windows server?
I know I can select a server but I want something automatic to avoid I accidently stream from my Windows server and burn all my data.

When streaming files stored on my phone Emby should just do that and in no way connect to internet. So no searching for artwork, subs, etc.
Is that possible?

The servers
When streaming from my Windows server everything loads fast.
But streaming local files from my phone doesn't work.
Sometimes the hourglass spinner shows forever.
Sometimes I get the following error after a minute or so. "Playback Error No compatible streams are currently available...."

Edited by MyMediaAtHome

Hi,

If you don't want to use any cellular data you would not want to connect using Emby unless on a Wifi connection.  Casting wouldn't really matter.

You of course can always turn off data on your cell phone very easily usually with pulldown gesture and hitting the data icon (Android) to turn this off.

MyMediaAtHome
On 12/09/2020 at 16:11, Luke said:

Hi, are you saying you get that error when playing on your phone?

Yes that's correct sir.

MyMediaAtHome
On 13/09/2020 at 00:11, cayars said:

Hi,

If you don't want to use any cellular data you would not want to connect using Emby unless on a Wifi connection.  Casting wouldn't really matter.

You of course can always turn off data on your cell phone very easily usually with pulldown gesture and hitting the data icon (Android) to turn this off.

I'm aware of that option. 
I'm also aware I might forget to switch data off 🙂

Besides of that, it's not convenient because:
a] I have to switch data on/off.

b] When streaming I still want to receive other data like email, WhatsApp, etc

But streaming local files from my phone doesn't work.

Hi, how are you trying to do this? We don't do any streaming from your phone, unless your phone is also the emby server.

MyMediaAtHome

Both server and the regular Emby app are on the same phone.

Remote Windows server works perfectly.
Locally far less. It's not just the streaming error. For example when using Windows server the app loads all sorts of pictures and info like plot and cast for movies. The android server does this maybe for 10% of all content, and even that's not complete. Maybe the incomplete indexing indirectly causes th error.

MyMediaAtHome
7 minutes ago, cayars said:

What phone are you using and what version of Emby is the app?

OnePlus 6T with all the official updates installed. Not rooted. Version 10.3.5
Emby version 3.1.23

His phone IS THE SERVER!

I just use the OS permissions and deny Emby access to the cell network so all updates have to be done via WIFI.  EASY and should just work.

I wouldn't call it a hack as it's an Android FEATURE meant to be used for exactly this type of purpose to not use cell data.

However, it of course would be best handled in Emby!

MyMediaAtHome
12 hours ago, Luke said:

If you want to avoid using mobile data then I would check out the download feature in the android app.

Maybe some background info could be useful.
When I have WiFi, I stream from my remote Windows server.
When I'm at some place without WiFi I want to stream the movies stored on my phone to Chromecast.
On my phone I try to preserve storage space and prefer no fancy stuff that uses storage. I love MX Player for that purpose. It's perfect except it's no longer developed and casting no longer works. Casting my whole screen solves that. The drawback of that method is that my screen has to be on at all time and I can't use my phone for other things because that would be cast to the TV screen.

I just can't find an MX Player replacement...
That's why I decided to give Emby android server a try; because I watched many hours using the Emby app streaming from my Windows server without any problems.