Roku TV Emby App Playback

johnson.4204

johnson.4204

Hi , 

I've been using Emby with a Roku for a while. I recently upgraded my TV to a Roku TV and I am having issues with playing my media now. I get very slow load times, and over half the time it doesn't seem to even play anything citing the playback timing out. The Roku TV is in the exact same spot as the old one, the internet hasn't changed, and all other streaming apps have no issues so it doesn't seem to be a connection issue. I have done a system update on the TV, rebooted it and rebooted the computer that my media is being pulled from. I have also deleted the Emby channel and added it back in, logged out and logged back in. I've tried all the standard troubleshooting techniques to no avail. What could be the problem?  Thanks!

Are any ffmpeg logs created? Can you show us some server logs so we can see how long transactions take to build to get to the Roku and how long the Roku takes to reply back?

You can also send logs from within the Roku app. Make sure to enable debug mode first. Recreate the problem with timeouts. Then go to your Emby home screen on Roku and at the very bottom is the send logs button. After this disable debug. You do not want to leave debug enabled as it will cause the Roku to write to TMP space to build a file to send to the developer. It causes extra delay to write to TMP. Only enable debug when you want to send logs to a developer.

When you send logs from the app to a developer make sure you have noted the TIME/DATE(in GMT please..timezones..ugh), USER LOGGED IN, and NAME OF SERVER. Those will be important when you make your next post and a developer asks you to send them logs.

On the forum we need to see the ffmpeg logs if any were created and the most recent emby server log. Thanks. :)

Edited by speechles

johnson.4204

There are some ffmpeg logs in the "logs", I recreated the problem and attached the latest ones. Is this what you are looking for or is there something else? I didn't need to enable debug logging to retrieve these. Thanks!

ffmpeg-transcode-50509206-e207-480f-91dd-41ce38b12b9d_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-a6f29257-d67b-45a2-afe1-d3d0012ded7b_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-2afe1c42-674b-4e5a-93c5-c7bb90ee6c55_1.txt

johnson.4204

Those are the only files I currently use Emby for, so yes in short. I can test out some music files if that can help troubleshoot the issue.

20 minutes ago, johnson.4204 said:

Not all my file formats are mpeg4 though. 

Can you go over another example then? Thanks.

johnson.4204

I have different video formats but all the files are some video format. The general load and lag time seems to happen across the board, not just to certain files though. 

johnson.4204

Is there any troubleshooting I can do for this? With the slow load times and the playback errors I receive I basically can't use Emby on my main TV...

19 hours ago, johnson.4204 said:

Is there any troubleshooting I can do for this? With the slow load times and the playback errors I receive I basically can't use Emby on my main TV...

Can you provide log file examples of a file that isn't mpeg4? Thanks.

johnson.4204

I see every one of those is MPEG4/XviD. Do you have any that do not show "XVID" in the ffmpeg log?

28 minutes ago, johnson.4204 said:

I've tried to recreate the problem choosing files that aren't mp4. Then I select those logs. What else can I do? 

You chose the files that were AVI. We understand.

But what we meant was the video and audio streams inside the file. The codecs used on these are XVID.

What you have problems with in this case is AVI in XVID. XVID is MPEG4 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-4). Specifically MPEG4 part 2 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-4_Part_2). Which is a variant in itself of H263 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.263). The Roku supports XVID in both AVI and MKV. You can use MKVToolNix GUI (https://mkvtoolnix.download/downloads.html) and drag the AVI over and start remux. This will copy the streams into an MKV. It will take seconds. The new MKV with XVID should play better.

In effect what @Luke wants are ffmpeg logs from files that are not AVI that have this problem. Do you have any or are all the problem files AVI?

Edited by speechles

johnson.4204

I guess my main issue with that is that all these were working fine with my Roku stick. I didn't have any playback issues, they all started when I got the Roku TV.

It would appear the troubleshooting solution would be to convert all my files to .mkv for them to *possibly* work fine? Is that correct?

What is the difference between the Roku stick and the Roku TV that would cause this to happen?

The firmware version. The Roku stick has the latest and greatest. The Roku TV firmware has to be updated along with the TV manufacturer. Once the Roku TV gets the same enhancements pushed it should behave the same as the Roku stick. I also have a Roku TV and have the same problems with AVI.

12 minutes ago, johnson.4204 said:

Ok, is there an anticipated date that will be pushed out?

Ok, so my only solution for now is to convert the videos?

Roku has hinted that firmware updates are quarterly. We are due another update on the Roku TV. Only Roku controls when they push their firmware updates to Roku devices. They do not inform developers until two weeks prior and I have heard nothing about new firmware yet.

Yes. The only way to eliminate the issue with HLS is to get them to direct play. The only way for XVID to direct play is inside MKV. I apologize. This is a fault in the Roku firmware. We can only wait until they fix this problem.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

We're also about to release a new version of Emby Server so you could re-evaluate with that once available. Thanks.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
johnson.4204

Now the Roku stick has the exact same issues. I cannot get Emby to consistently work on either my Roku TV or Roku Stick...

3 hours ago, johnson.4204 said:

Now the Roku stick has the exact same issues. I cannot get Emby to consistently work on either my Roku TV or Roku Stick...

Hi there, have you updated to Emby Server 4.5.2?

After trying server 4.5.2 and having issues please provide a recent emby server log. So we can see how long these transactions take across your network. We can also see if there are any other errors that happen that cause slowdowns. Maybe the server is very busy doing other tasks and streaming on top is throwing a wrench? We can only guess until we see your Emby Server logs.

I also have a Roku TV and a Roku Streaming Stick+. If you continue to have problems you can invite me to your server and I can debug while actually on your server. This requires you share server access with me. The problem there is the same problem may not show up remotely than shows up local on your LAN. I might have no problems but internally on your network there might be something awry.

The only way to tell is the logs. We can start there. Can you provide Emby Server logs?

johnson.4204

It says my current version is 4.5.2.0 on my computer. Is there an update I need to search out to download on the Tv or the Stick? Here are a couple of ffmpeg logs that were created during the streaming process that wouldn't work and an "embyserver" log file. Are these what you are looking for?

ffmpeg-transcode-29e55df7-c53a-4a07-990e-e893d0a45924_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-22fce6be-c48a-4c71-ac88-7368c555d89d_1.txt