NIC stopped code(10) ??

chef

"strange things are afoot at the circle K, dude"

Perhaps someone might have some insight into an issue I'm having with my 4 port NIC PCIe card.

When I first installed it last year, it worked great.

The other day I realized it wasn't being used to transmit data to my switch from my server.

It was always getting pretty hot, so I figured it was burned out.

I bought a new one (they are cheap).

After installing it, it had the same window device manager code 10. Couldn't start it up.

Thought it was a driver issue. Updated drivers, still won't start.

Thought it was the PCIe slot, swapped it around. Still won't start.

Another ideas would be welcome. 

I suppose 1 gigabit port on the mobo will suffice, but having 5 would be good too.

PenkethBoy

has windows updated recently?

windows 10?

as a simple test - in device manager - delete the card

it should rediscover it - if not reboot pc

if that does not work - find where the driver file(s) are then delete the card again/remove from pc - delete the driver files - add back etc - see if that clears the issue

have yu added any other cards to the pc recently - could be a conflict - unusual these days but might be a chance this is related if it applies

have you set up teaming on the 4 port card or done any config over default??

@PenkethBoy I'm going to try to remove the card and delete the drivers.

I hadn't got to teaming yet. If I can get both these cards working, I'll have 9 total ports going to the switch. 

I hope this works.

PenkethBoy

ah so you have two 4 port cards? that could be the issue - try removing the other and keep the faulty one in to see if it then works etc

------

depending on what teaming you go for the switch must support it

e.g. LACP "so you get more lanes on a motorway" works on my nas with 4 ports to my switch so i can get more than the 120MB/s limit a single port would give - also the client pc needs more than one port as well or that would limit things :)

oops forgot to say you need multi channel i/o working as well - automatic in windows for some years

get 180MB/s sometimes but as the source disk is HDD and not an SSD then cant get more but works well

Edited by PenkethBoy
missed out multipath i/o

9 hours ago, PenkethBoy said:

@chef did you kill your pc? :) 

I don't know what happened. I took the card out, restarted, then removed the Realtek drivers for the NIC, restarted the pc.

Then shut down, made sure all the power was out of the pc by pressing the power button with it unplugged.

Put the card back into the pc, restarted and waited for the drivers. They didn't install.

This is Win7, so maybe not supported now??

Went online to find a Realtek drivers for the network adapter, installed them...

But the NIC stilled showed "code 10".

Maybe, I should finally update to Win10?

I just don't know what to do next. I don't know what happened to the NIC to stop it from working.

18 minutes ago, sooty234 said:

Yes! :)

So far,  Sophos antivirus, my reverse proxy application, and emby is the only thing running on my server.

All of my development software is on another system altogether.

Do you still suggest updating to windows 10? @sooty234

Is it because of the updates that you recommend it?  👍

Edited by chef

sooty234

Yes, much greater support and capability. Much greater security, too. I would imagine there are dozens of security holes in Win 7, at this point. More easily exploited. Better networking....the list goes on.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Was there a reason still being on Windows 7?

I suppose there really isn't any good reason.

sooty234

So, do you guys think I should fresh install, or should I try and keep what I can by upgrading?

Also, know of any places that sell (actually sell) the win 10 keys for a decent price?

sooty234
Just now, chef said:

So, do you guys think I should fresh install, or should I try and keep what I can by upgrading?

Also, know of any places that sell (actually sell) the win 10 keys for a decent price?

Clean install, and I get my keys form ebay. Usually around $10

And you download the latest build from here. Use the download tool.

• Like 2

PenkethBoy

@chef - as you are having problems - i would go the clean install route and as you only have limited apps installed should not be too much of an issue

this may help if you still get issues in win 10

https://recoverit.wondershare.com/computer-problems/this-device-cannot-start-code-10-error.html

Question - has this card ever worked? or is it new?

Also why do you need two 4 port cards in one machine?

Did you try without the second working card installed - to see if the card actually works when on its own?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PenkethBoy said:

@chef - as you are having problems - i would go the clean install route and as you only have limited apps installed should not be too much of an issue

this may help if you still get issues in win 10

https://recoverit.wondershare.com/computer-problems/this-device-cannot-start-code-10-error.html

Question - has this card ever worked? or is it new?

Also why do you need two 4 port cards in one machine?

Did you try without the second working card installed - to see if the card actually works when on its own?

The card has worked in the past. But it gets really hot inside the case.

I was going to use four ports between my development machine and the server.

It originally did have only the one card in it, when it work before, but it just stopped.

I think that the NIC is probably a low priority card after all.  So I might just do a clean install of win 10, leave the NIC out. Hack the Nvidea drivers again for my gpu, install emby, Sophos, and the reverse proxy application.

👍

• Like 1

rbjtech

Possibly worth considering a 2.5Gbit NIC Ethernet upgrade ?  They are getting pretty cheap now and should provide a decent backhaul capacity to your NAS - assuming they support 2.5Gbit of course ..