Movie & TV Files Losing Tags

alanrbryant
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

alanrbryant

FIrst, let me start off by saying that I don't think this is an Emby problem specifically, as I had the same problems in Plex, but it affects Emby, so I thought I would seek some help here.

I add Parental Control tags to certain movies & shows so that other users only see those videos. I make sure and uncheck the Tags option so that it is not automatically modified by metadata refresh. Periodically, the tags get removed from some, but not all, tv shows & movies. Also, the option to update tags is checked again.

I'm not sure, but I can only guess that for some reason Emby thinks they are new files and adds them to the libraries again with new metadata entries. I'm not sure when it happens, because it could be days later before one of the users uses Emby or notices a show or movie is missing.

I am using the LinuxServer docker container for Emby. Sonarr & Radarr are the only other two pieces of software that touch the files, but the files that this happens to are not even being monitored anymore, so they should not be accessing or replacing the files. I figured metadata would not be replaced even if they were.

I am currently housing my media on Manjaro using Snapraid & MergerFS, but the same thing happened when I was using Unraid as well. I am fairly good in Linux, but I'm not sure where to look for this issue. Like I said before, a similar thing would happen Plex as well.

Thank you for reading this and I would appreciate any advice on figuring this out.

Hi, Emby metadata providers never touch tags, it's purely a user-supplied feature. Can you please go over an example?

What's probably happening is some other process is updating your nfo files and removing the tags, and then Emby reacts to those changes.

Happy2Play

My first question would be do you write nfo file with media?

If not the I suspect the info is only written to the database and the item by chance goes offline or is unavailable and Emby purges the database, then re-adds it without any customization as it was lost in the purge when the item is available again.  This is just my guess.

alanrbryant

Hey guys, thanks for responding!

@Luke, I have attached two screenshots that show without tags (NoTags.jpg) and with tags (Tags.jpg). I add the tag and uncheck the box for Tags so that it does not get changed, but sometime later, maybe hours, maybe days, it reverts to no tags and checked.

@Happy2Play, I have attached screenshots of my TV Shows configuration. There is a spot about saving metadata to nfo, does that mean that it does not then save it to the Emby db? I assumed that Emby used the nfo to initially match and then ignored it after. If that is not the case, could Sonarr then be overwriting the nfo and Emby reading it again?

Thank you guys for all of your help.

Tags.jpg

NoTags.jpg

TVShow_Library_1.jpg

TVShow_Library_2.jpg

TVShow_Library_3.jpg

TVShow_Library_4.jpg

• Solution

If that is not the case, could Sonarr then be overwriting the nfo and Emby reading it again?

Yes that is what I'm saying is most likely happening. It is pretty much what is always happening anytime a user reports something along these lines.

Locking tags isn't really necessary because there is no internet metadata for them. They are a user supplied feature, so in this case, locking has no impact. We should remove it from the lock options.

alanrbryant

@Luke, I apologize, I tried searching, but I was unable to find anything that seemed to relate.

I guess my options are to either turn off metadata handling in either Sonarr or turn off the nfo setting in Emby, is that correct?

alanrbryant

@Luke, that was not what I was meaning. The setting in the Library configuration that says Metadata Savers and has nfo as an option. If I uncheck that, would Emby save its settings to its own database instead, like tags? Or does this setting mean something else entirely?

Just now, alanrbryant said:

@Luke, that was not what I was meaning. The setting in the Library configuration that says Metadata Savers and has nfo as an option. If I uncheck that, would Emby save its settings to its own database instead, like tags? Or does this setting mean something else entirely?

That would only stop Emby from writing nfo files. It would not prevent Emby from reading nfo files after Sonarr changes them.

alanrbryant

@Luke, thank you so much for all of your help. I have hopefully one last question on this topic, and then we can mark it as solved. There is the option in Emby to set a custom path for metadata. Would setting that to something help with this problem? Would it only apply to new files or would it move current data?

I'm thinking my best option is to turn off the tvshow.nfo setting in Sonarr.

1 minute ago, alanrbryant said:

@Luke, thank you so much for all of your help. I have hopefully one last question on this topic, and then we can mark it as solved. There is the option in Emby to set a custom path for metadata. Would setting that to something help with this problem? Would it only apply to new files or would it move current data?

No, it wouldn't affect this.

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, alanrbryant said:

No as that only applies to images.  Metadata is either only in the database or written to nfo file with media.