Emby inbound UDP traffic on random port

jphi1618

I'm running Emby Server on Ubuntu 20.04 with ufw for firewall control.  It currently has the following ports open:

tcp6       0      0 :::8096                 :::*                    LISTEN      215938/EmbyServer
udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:1900            0.0.0.0:*                           215938/EmbyServer
udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:39708           0.0.0.0:*                           215938/EmbyServer
udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:7359            0.0.0.0:*                           215938/EmbyServer

8096 is the web interface, 1900  is dlna(?) and I think that 7359 is for some service discovery, but I'm not sure what the random port is for, and how I can reliably allow it to work without adding a huge block of inbound udp traffic with ufw.  Is it common to allow inbound UDP?  I'm  starting with restrictive rules to better understand traffic from all my programs.  Right now  I get blocked traffic to that port from several devices that have previously connected to Emby (computer, TV, phone, etc).

Sorry if I missed this in the search, thanks!

No, I have smart TV's, Fire Stick, AppleTV, maybe a Roku still hooked up...  And to be clear, I haven't noticed a "problem" with Emby playback, I just don't want to cripple some feature with my firewall without really knowing what it is. 

A few installs ago, I did have a Ceton InfiniTV quad tuner, but I haven't used that or had it installed in years.  The linux box does have a Hauppauge TV tuner card installed in it, but I haven't installed software for it or done anything to enable it.  I just didn't take it out of the box when I switched from Windows to Ubuntu.

Thanks for the help.

• 2 weeks later...