Constant pauses and stuttering on iOS and tvOS

tsheley

I am trying out a month of Emby Premier and I can not get smooth playback. I am running the server on a Windows 10 Machine that also has Plex. My movies in Emby constantly pause and stutter on my iPad and AppleTV. If I lower the quality to 1080p 5mb it plays fine. Problem is I shouldn’t have to do that since if I play the same video in Infuse or Plex and it plays just fine. I have checked and Plex is Direct Playing the video. Also Chromecast from Emby works great with no problems.

I have attached the stats of the video. This isn’t the only video that stutters and pauses.

Any thoughts?

DD604F18-3750-4559-956E-96B37F92B9A0.jpeg

Edited by tsheley

vdatanet
1 minute ago, tsheley said:

Yes. I used Infuse to connect to Emby and it plays fine. 

What player are you using in tvOS, native or MPV? Try switch to native player. Remember to restart the Apple TV app.

I have tried both. The native player is worse. It pauses all the time. The MPV stutters but doesn’t completely pause.  

Edited by tsheley

vdatanet
Just now, tsheley said:

I have tried both. The native player is worse. It pauses all the time. The MPV stutters but doesn’t completely pause.  

Both direct playing?

The same movie plays fine in Infuse connected to the Emby Server and plays fine over ChromeCast from the Emby Server. It also plays fine from my Plex Server. 

HI, that's great info, thanks. As a test though, if you run it through ffmpeg without making any changes, what happens with that output?

So running it through ffmpeg without moving the MOOV Atom works also. Here is the command I am using....

ffmpeg -i "C:\Avengers - Endgame (2019)\Avengers - Endgame (2019).m4v" -codec copy -map 0:0 -map 0:1 -map 0:2 -map 0:3 "Avengers - Endgame (2019).m4v"
For the MOOV atom move I added 

-movflags +faststart

WIth this I am only mapping the Video, Stereo, 5.1 and subtitle track.

Strange thing is why does the original file work in Plex, Infuse, and Chromecast.

I would really rather not run this command on my 400+ movies. :)

Edited by tsheley

vdatanet
On 9/10/2020 at 8:24 PM, tsheley said:

Really want this to work. I am tired of Plex. :)

Plex doesn't direct play anything, it always repacks the file. In Plex control panel you see Video Direct Play and Audio Direct Play, but in fact, it's direct streaming. And Infuse... well Infuse is the best player available for iOS and tvOS. I'm hoping that one day Emby will have a player similar to Infuse.

unisoft
On 9/10/2020 at 10:11 PM, tsheley said:

These are all iToons purchases that I converted via TunesKit M4V Converter. 

• I do similar using lossless MP4 but DO NOT have any issue, I use BOX app to repackage as an MKV as ToonesConverter does not support lossless MKV creation. Apple's NATIVE player plays them just fine (albeit Emby Sever re-packages the MKV back to MP4 most likely?). This is when using tvOS 13.xx on an HTTPS WAN connection and they (iToons)  play fine 5.1 or stereo sound.
  • Now using the MPV player on tvOS is another story for music videos. Despite all being encoded similarly, it plays some over HTTPS and not others (consistently not random) when Emby is accessed over HTTPS. The same device, same media using MPV on a LAN (not https) works fine! Luke already knows I reported this. Apple native player works fine with them on HTTP or HTTPS LAN or WAN.
  • Those same x264 MP4 High profile circa 8mbps stereo music videos on iOS play a frame every so often (not watchable) when LAN or HTTPS (Wifi issues negated as not any other wifi points around and not a useless ISP router but Asus RT-AC86U with Merlin firmware).