Scheduled recording issues

Hawker1986

Hawker1986

Hi,

First post here but been using Emby for many years!

Seeking a bit of help with my DVR situation.

Basically if I schedule a recording for anytime after the same day it will fail to record. So for example if I set any number of things to record later today they will record fine. If however, I set something to record for tomorrow or later it will fail to record despite it being in the schedule in emby. If I set a series to record then this will also fail on all the recordings after the same day.

I’m using a HDHR quad tuner and emby guide data. The server is running win10 64bit with emby server as a service. It hibernates overnight using a programme called smart power. 
the only thing I’ve noticed from the log files is that there’s an error when you schedule the recordings stating:

2020-09-07 20:50:09.876 Error LiveTV: Error scheduling wake timer
    *** Error Report ***
    Version: 4.4.3.0
    Command line: C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\EmbyServer.dll -service
    Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200.0
    64-Bit OS: True
    64-Bit Process: True
    User Interactive: True
    Runtime: file:///C:/Users/Admin/AppData/Roaming/Emby-Server/system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
    System.Environment.Version: 3.1.4
    Processor count: 4
    Program data path: C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata
    Application directory: C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system
    System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80070534): (42,4):UserId:
       at EmbyServer.Windows.TaskScheduler.ITaskFolder.RegisterTaskDefinition(String path, ITaskDefinition pDefinition, Int32 flags, Object userId, Object password, TaskLogonType logonType, Object sddl)
       at EmbyServer.Windows.WindowsPowerManagement.ScheduleWake(DateTimeOffset wakeTimeUtc, String displayName)
       at Emby.LiveTV.TimerManager.ScheduleSystemWakeTimer(DateTimeOffset startDate, String displayName)
    Source: 
    TargetSite: EmbyServer.Windows.TaskScheduler.IRegisteredTask RegisterTaskDefinition(System.String, EmbyServer.Windows.TaskScheduler.ITaskDefinition, Int32, System.Object, System.Object, EmbyServer.Windows.TaskScheduler.TaskLogonType, System.Object)

If you set the recording for the same day there’s no error.

If you look at the log for when the scheduled recording is due there is literally nothing there to say it’s tried to do anything.

Advice appreciated in advance.

Hi, we don't currently support waking the machine when running as a service, so that's why your machine is not waking up to perform the recording, and that's why you see that error in the server log.

Until we support this, your workaround would be to keep the machine awake, or not run as a windows service.

Hawker1986
5 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, we don't currently support waking the machine when running as a service, so that's why your machine is not waking up to perform the recording, and that's why you see that error in the server log.

Until we support this, your workaround would be to keep the machine awake, or not run as a windows service.

Hi Luke,

thanks for the information, is this still the case even though I am setting the recordings for a time in the future when the machine will be awake? I am not asking it to record when the machine is hibernated. 

Secondly, my server is headless so it’s not really an option to log in and run Emby at start up. Is there anyway to make it run without logging in but not as a service - I had presumed not? If not are there any plans to support waking when running as a service in the future?

thanks again for the advice

Edited by Hawker1986

is this still the case even though I am setting the recordings for a time in the future when the machine will be awake?

If you know the machine will be awake at the time of the recording, then it will be fine.

are there any plans to support waking when running as a service in the future?

Yes it's something we'll look at in a future update. Thanks.

Hawker1986
2 minutes ago, Luke said:

If you know the machine will be awake at the time of the recording, then it will be fine.

In which case I may not have been clear - all of the future dated recordings I have tried to schedule have been at times when the machine is awake and they have failed.

Hawker1986
12 hours ago, Luke said:

Ok then we'd have to look at an example of that. Thanks.

Ok please see attached log files, embyserver.txt is when the recordings were set and embyserver1.txt is from when the first of the future dated scheduled recordings was due to happen but there is nothing in the log file.

embyserver.txt embyserver1.txt

I presume you wanted the log files?

Edited by Hawker1986

Hawker1986
11 hours ago, Luke said:

What recording was supposed to happen that did not, and at what time?

So in the embyserver.txt log file at 2020-09-07 20:49:45.449 - I set a recording for later that night - this worked fine.

At 2020-09-07 20:50:09.865 - I set a recording for a whole series of future dated episodes - none of these recorded. 

embysever1.txt is the log for the time one of those recordings was due to start - theres nothing at the time you would expect the recording to begin. Despite this all these were visible in emby under scheduled recordings - they hadnt disappeared - they just didnt happen.

I have tested this quite a bit with trying to record series or just single episode recordings, no matter how I ask the recordings to happen they will work for episodes or items on the same day as the recording request but future dated recordings dont work even though they are in the emby recording schedule.

Hi,

Did you see any of these future recordings showing on the schedule tab?  Anything that should record will show there.

Hawker1986
7 hours ago, cayars said:

Hi,

Did you see any of these future recordings showing on the schedule tab?  Anything that should record will show there.

Yup they’re all in the scheduled recording tab they just don’t record

What we need to see is a log that matches failed recordings.  We can then see if the tuner is rejecting us, device thinks all tuners are in use, etc

So if you can schedule some recordings and then watch for failure we can look at the log for you.  Just let us know what recording failed.

Hawker1986
57 minutes ago, cayars said:

What we need to see is a log that matches failed recordings.  We can then see if the tuner is rejecting us, device thinks all tuners are in use, etc

So if you can schedule some recordings and then watch for failure we can look at the log for you.  Just let us know what recording failed.

So the second log file in my previous post contains the time a recording was due to occur from the first log file which showed the errors. There is nothing in the log file corresponding to the time the recording should have happened even though the recording was in the schedule. I can try it again and produce some more logs tomorrow

Edited by Hawker1986

Yes please do and give us specifics of what show didn't record so we know what to look for in the logs.

Thanks

Hawker1986
9 hours ago, cayars said:

Yes please do and give us specifics of what show didn't record so we know what to look for in the logs.

Thanks

Hi,

So last night I set "Cheers" to record at 0740 this morning.

Time stamp in the log file for the recording being created is 2020-09-14 22:51:54.136

There is then nothing when you would expect the recording to have fired at 2020-09-15 07:40

The recording is still present in the schedule despite the fact its time has passed....

Ignore the earlier recording request for eastenders - I cancelled that as I decided to chose something early morning so I could get the results sooner

embyserver2.txt

Edited by Hawker1986

There was an error when trying to schedule the recording.

2020-09-14 22:51:54.136 Info LiveTV: Creating recording timer for 3fedd709303240f49e785d38dab80ba1, Cheers. Timer will fire in 527.0977318416667 minutes
2020-09-14 22:51:54.137 Error LiveTV: Error scheduling wake timer
	*** Error Report ***
	Command line: C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\EmbyServer.dll -service
	Runtime: file:///C:/Users/Admin/AppData/Roaming/Emby-Server/system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
	System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80070534): (42,4):UserId:
	   at EmbyServer.Windows.TaskScheduler.ITaskFolder.RegisterTaskDefinition(String path, ITaskDefinition pDefinition, Int32 flags, Object userId, Object password, TaskLogonType logonType, Object sddl)
	   at EmbyServer.Windows.WindowsPowerManagement.ScheduleWake(DateTimeOffset wakeTimeUtc, String displayName)
	   at Emby.LiveTV.TimerManager.ScheduleSystemWakeTimer(DateTimeOffset startDate, String displayName)
	Source: 
	TargetSite: EmbyServer.Windows.TaskScheduler.IRegisteredTask RegisterTaskDefinition(System.String, EmbyServer.Windows.TaskScheduler.ITaskDefinition, Int32, System.Object, System.Object, EmbyServer.Windows.TaskScheduler.TaskLogonType, System.Object)

It appears something is interfering with the windows scheduling.

Are you running Emby as a service or does it load during startup?

Have you ran any security software that tightens up security on your machine?

How about spyware/malware software on the server?

Hawker1986
3 hours ago, cayars said:

There was an error when trying to schedule the recording.

2020-09-14 22:51:54.136 Info LiveTV: Creating recording timer for 3fedd709303240f49e785d38dab80ba1, Cheers. Timer will fire in 527.0977318416667 minutes
2020-09-14 22:51:54.137 Error LiveTV: Error scheduling wake timer
	*** Error Report ***
	Source: 

It appears something is interfering with the windows scheduling.

Are you running Emby as a service or does it load during startup?

Have you ran any security software that tightens up security on your machine?

How about spyware/malware software on the server?

Hi it’s running as a service. I haven’t done anything out of the ordinary in terms of security, just standard windows settings and antivirus.

It was a recent fresh install and very light install basically just emby and few we’ll known diagnostic programs from reputable sources, I never use the server for internet browsing so don’t believe there’s any malware. Nothing on virus scans etc

Edited by Hawker1986

Hawker1986
7 minutes ago, cayars said:

What user is it running under as a service?

Does that user have proper access to the scheduler?

How can I check this?

Under services app it just states local system, also checked in task manager and it states the username is system

Edited by Hawker1986

More than likely you don't want to run as system but as an actual user name such as "Emby" that you create and give permissions and access.

However, before going down that road I'd suggest trying to run Emby as a non service to test scheduling to make sure it works correctly.

Hawker1986
8 minutes ago, cayars said:

More than likely you don't want to run as system but as an actual user name such as "Emby" that you create and give permissions and access.

However, before going down that road I'd suggest trying to run Emby as a non service to test scheduling to make sure it works correctly.

Hi Cayars,

thank you for the advice, I have run it as a non service and will see how the schedule goes tomorrow morning. 

could you advise me how to run the service under a user account rather than system? Do I just change the log in settings under the services properties in the service app?

Edited by Hawker1986

Create a new user on your system just like if they were a family member.  Then go into services, fine Emby Server and change the username it runs under.

If you need more specific instructions let me know and I'll elaborate.

Hawker1986
2 minutes ago, cayars said:

Create a new user on your system just like if they were a family member.  Then go into services, fine Emby Server and change the username it runs under.

If you need more specific instructions let me know and I'll elaborate.

Is there any reason I can’t use the user that I usually log on with?

Just now, Hawker1986 said:

Is there any reason I can’t use the user that I usually log on with?

Nope, that should be fine as long as you don't restrict your privs.  This is actually good for testing as well when not running as a service since it will be the same username.