Transcoding on a device base

lomdar67

lomdar67

I would love to see an option to configure transcoding on a device base. Maybe in a first version only to enable or disable transcoding on a device base. Later this could be fine tuned.

For example I have a Fire TV 4K stick. The stick is "not supporting" Dolby Atmos. So when I choose a Dolby Atmos audio track Emby is transcoding. But when I disable transcoding for the current user, than the Fire TV stick plays the file just finde and delivers a PCM signal to my Denon receiver.

Unfortunately disabling transcoding on a user base is not granulate enough.

Best regards,

Michael

Edited by lomdar67

Hi.  For your specific use-case, there is already an option to do what you want.  In the settings in our app on the Fire stick set the Audio option to "Mix down to stereo".

lomdar67

Thanks for the responses.

@Luke I think it's a subtitle problem. I have to investigate further. Some subtitle related option in the Fire TV client and/or on the server makes Emby transcode the video when I select "Only Forced Subs" in the client...

@ebr Why would I select that option? When the Emby player on Fire TV can play the video without transcoding and outputs a PCM signal I still get a very good Surround sound. If I select "Mix down to stereo" I would only get Stereo sound. Or do I miss something here?