Synology DSM7.0 Beta & emby

eliteharbinger

@Luke Thanks. Is the attached any use? Also, this was psoted on the Synology boards:

Hi fellow developers,

First of all, thank you all for your passion and interest in developing packages on our platform.

As you may already know, DSM 7.0 has made several changes to the framework, so the current version of all third-party packages are incompatible with it. We have lowered the privilege level for third-party packages to run as a user rather than root. So package installation will not succeed if the package's privilege settings do not go with our new rules. For more information on the changes, check the Developer's Guide, which will be provided once you made an application mentioned later.

DSM 7.0 is still in its Preview stage, so the public resource for development cannot be provided yet. However, we're more than thankful for the developers who have shown interest in updating their packages to be compatible with the new DSM version. And this is why we're offering an easier way for you to get the resources you might need (Here we use SynoCommunity developers as the example): 

1. Find the Inquiry form (https://www.synology.com/support/developer#apply).
2. Enter 'SynoCommunity' as the company name.
3. Enter your developer's name on Github as the contact person.
4. Enter the package name.

Once you send the application, we'll reply to you with the resources for development shortly after. 
Thanks again for your continuous support for Synology.

DSM_Developer_Guide_7_0_Beta.pdf

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
nasblack

If you had Emby, server installed prior to upgrading to Dsm7 beta, then you are in luck. There is a way to start the server, but cannot update server until they fix the issue. 

1. You must SSH to your synology and run the following script : sudo /var/packages/EmbyServer/scripts/start-stop-status start

2. Emby Server will start even though showing stopped in DSM. 

3. If you need to reboot your synology, you must SSH again and the script again

I have already tried it and works!! I am able to connect to my emby server via web browser, mobile, smart TV, etc

Very interested in getting emby working 'correctly' with DSM7, I do like to use the latest version of DSM, normally Synology Betas are very stable. 

@Lukeslight update to the error message when trying to install Emby on the new beta:

image.png.532e5a3d2c350c452df58c80a185ad55.png

To those wishing to use the ssh hack to run Emby on the DSM 7 beta, yes it does work, but as @nasblack points out, you will not be able to install any updates to the Emby server. Until @Lukeand the team create a working package, there is no guarantee you will be able install the 'working' update over the version you have in DSM 7 beta. 

@GiGoEmby works well in docker and you can run Emby without problems in DSM 7 using docker. Personally, though so tempted to switch to DSM 7 early, I just run DSM 7 in a Virtual Machine on my NAS so I can play with it safely there. Once the initial excitement of running a new version of DSM has worn off (about 3 minutes for me) you realise that nothing much has changed, it's not that exciting and I'm happy I decided to run it in just a Virtual Machine and keep my working NAS on a stable supported version of DSM :)

innyinskip
12 hours ago, nasblack said:

If you had Emby, server installed prior to upgrading to Dsm7 beta, then you are in luck. There is a way to start the server, but cannot update server until they fix the issue. 

1. You must SSH to your synology and run the following script : sudo /var/packages/EmbyServer/scripts/start-stop-status start

2. Emby Server will start even though showing stopped in DSM. 

3. If you need to reboot your synology, you must SSH again and the script again

I have already tried it and works!! I am able to connect to my emby server via web browser, mobile, smart TV, etc

Upgraded to 7 this morning not having read of thought about things properly and now Emby not loading for me. Unfortunately no joy with these commands either.

Luckily I had a backups from last night so am porting it into docker

nasblack
24 minutes ago, innyinskip said:

Upgraded to 7 this morning not having read of thought about things properly and now Emby not loading for me. Unfortunately no joy with these commands either.

Luckily I had a backups from last night so am porting it into docker

As I explained before, running the script via SSH does start the server. In your DSM it will still show it with a red exclamations mark, but if you connect to your emby server via web interface by using your domain name/emby or domain name:port it will log you in to your dashboard. Same applies for the client application. They will connect to it. In the DSM though it shows it as greyed out with an exclamation mark and if you press on it, it will take you the package installer and present it as stopped. 

Also you will not be able to update it unless Emby sorts out the root permissions that are not allowed by Dsm7 specifications. 

Hope's that helps

Fyi tI am still able to login to the dashboard, watch movies and etc via all client applications without a single problem. 

innyinskip
Just now, nasblack said:

As I explained before, running the script via SSH does start the server. In your DSM it will still show it with a red exclamations mark, but if you connect to your emby server via web interface by using your domain name/emby or domain name:port it will log you in to your dashboard. Same applies for the client application. They will connect to it. In the DSM though it shows it as greyed out with an exclamation mark and if you press on it, it will take you the package installer and present it as stopped. 

Also you will not be able to update it unless Emby sorts out the root permissions that are not allowed by Dsm7 specifications. 

Hope's that helps

Fyi tI am still able to login to the dashboard, watch movies and etc via all client applications without a single problem. 

Thanks mate, I did try the script and ignoring dashboard and just try browsing to the emby server but still no joy for me unfortunately.

nasblack
1 minute ago, innyinskip said:

Thanks mate, I did try the script and ignoring dashboard and just try browsing to the emby server but still no joy for me unfortunately.

Could you upload a screenshot if possible of the log when executing the script? Does it show any error? Does start executing starting of server logs? I could assist if I knew what the log says

9 hours ago, innyinskip said:

No luck for me either. When I run the shell-script ("sudo ...") nothing happens. The command just finishes without any delays or error messages, and emby server does not get started.

nasblack
9 minutes ago, hgpuke said:

No luck for me either. When I run the shell-script ("sudo ...") nothing happens. The command just finishes without any delays or error messages, and emby server does not get started.

Hi

You need to SSH to your synology from a pc or Mac or mobile. You need to enable from your synology ssh admission on port 22. Then you need to run the sudo script. It will ask for the admin'S user password. Then it will start processing lines with emby startup procedure. 

I just tried again and it works flawlessly. 

45 minutes ago, nasblack said:

Hi

You need to SSH to your synology from a pc or Mac or mobile. You need to enable from your synology ssh admission on port 22. Then you need to run the sudo script. It will ask for the admin'S user password. Then it will start processing lines with emby startup procedure. 

I just tried again and it works flawlessly. 

Well, it doesn't work for me. I have no clue to why it does not. It is as though the script was empty. But it is not, I checked. In /var/packages/EmbyServer there is a file named "startFailed", which is empty. Does that say anything to anyone?

nasblack
9 minutes ago, hgpuke said:

Well, it doesn't work for me. I have no clue to why it does not. It is as though the script was empty. But it is not, I checked. In /var/packages/EmbyServer there is a file named "startFailed", which is empty. Does that say anything to anyone?

Checking the folder /var/packages/EmbyServer/ does it have a file inside the folder called "start-stop-status"? 

nasblack
11 minutes ago, hgpuke said:

Yes of course, otherwise I would have gotten an error message when I tried to start it.

Just for the sake of it, you realize that there is a space right before "star"  at the end of the script line. Once you press enter, does it not ask you for a password since you are using sudo? 

You can also try this. 

1. Ssh to your synology

2. Sudo - i

3. Enter password 

4. CD var

5. CD packages

6. CD embyserver

7. Start-stop-status start

Check if logging process begins. Once finished, check via web interface your-ip:8096 (default port number of emby) if you have not changed it 

8 minutes ago, nasblack said:

Just for the sake of it, you realize that there is a space right before "star"  at the end of the script line. Once you press enter, does it not ask you for a password since you are using sudo? 

You can also try this. 

1. Ssh to your synology

2. Sudo - i

3. Enter password 

4. CD var

5. CD packages

6. CD embyserver

7. Start-stop-status start

Check if logging process begins. Once finished, check via web interface your-ip:8096 (default port number of emby) if you have not changed it 

Look, I don't want to seem unthankful, but I am versed in linux and do understand how to run a script and how to become root. Now, when trying to run the "start-stop-status" script, nothing happens, I am just returned to the command prompt with no error message. Nothing is started (I do run a "ps -ef | grep emby" to confirm this. No logging is started. Nothing is started. And hence, I cannot get to the web-interface on the 8096 port, as it isn't started.

nasblack
3 minutes ago, hgpuke said:

Look, I don't want to seem unthankful, but I am versed in linux and do understand how to run a script and how to become root. Now, when trying to run the "start-stop-status" script, nothing happens, I am just returned to the command prompt with no error message. Nothing is started (I do run a "ps -ef | grep emby" to confirm this. No logging is started. Nothing is started. And hence, I cannot get to the web-interface on the 8096 port, as it isn't started.

Sorry forgot to mention the folder scripts after EmbyServer:

sudo /var/packages/EmbyServer/scripts/start-stop-status start

Do you have the emby server beta version 4.6.0.5 installed? That is the version I have and it works with above script. 

9 minutes ago, nasblack said:

Do you have the emby server beta version 4.6.0.5 installed? That is the version I have and it works with above script. 

Didn't realise there were beta versions for synology available have you a link to the beta pages/program swear I signed up to it ages ago. 

nasblack
2 minutes ago, GiGo said:

Didn't realise there were beta versions for synology available have you a link to the beta pages/program swear I signed up to it ages ago. 

https://emby.media/synology-server.html

Go towards the bottom of the page for the bets version. Choose your correct package that is compatible with your model. 

nasblack
28 minutes ago, nasblack said:

Sorry forgot to mention the folder scripts after EmbyServer:

sudo /var/packages/EmbyServer/scripts/start-stop-status start

38 minutes ago, hgpuke said:

Checkout my screenshots

After logging process, it states at the d emby server has started. Last screenshot

Screenshot_20201210_004659.jpg

Screenshot_20201210_004749.jpg

Screenshot_20201210_004821.jpg

Screenshot_20201210_004841.jpg