Synology DSM7.0 Beta & emby

eliteharbinger

eliteharbinger

Hi,

On one of my Synology NAS am trialling the DSM7.0 beta, however it appears that emby is not compatible. When trying to perform a repair this fails and when trying to reinstall I get the message it cant be installed due to new restrictions on installation.

Synology say :

https://help.synology.com/developer-guide/privilege/preface.html

Lower Privilege

To reduce security risks, we now provide a framework to run packages with a lower privileged "package user" instead of root. Below is a summary of how to join the framework and what package center does for you:

1. Package developers provide privilege specification to specify what privilege is needed during program execution.
  2. During package installation, package center creates corresponding user and group. See Package User & Group for more detail.
  3. According to the privilege specification, package center chown files under /var/packages/${package}/target. (The setuid and setgid bit will be cleared)
  4. Package executables are run with privilege (package user, system or root) according to its file owner and group. See Mechanism for more detail.

With this framework, package developer is capable of:

Whether to lower the package's privilege and create corresponding user / group is optional. The package has to provide privilege specification to join this framework, otherwise the package will still be run with root privilege, and no user / group will be created.

Is this something emby are looking at?

eliteharbinger

I am on a stable release, unfortunately cant confirm the exact release as cant get into emby on that device, it was showing as up to date.

Thanks. I'm on the beta, but will wait before upgrading. There is a thread on reddit, suggesting that we should install Emby in docker, then it works. As once you've installed DSM7.0 you can't go back, you may want to look at that, unless @Luke or another mod can confirm they are working on getting Emby compatible with the new DSM version.

• Like 2

@Luke, @cayars, @Happy2Play

Over on Plex they have already started to work on a compatible version for the DMS 7.0 beta on Synology and hope to get something out today. Are you guys planning something similar soon? If you need a tester, I'm happy to help.

1 minute ago, Dedone said:

Great news, beacause i'm still in beta program but i don't start before i'm 100% sure of the compatibility of Emby

Same here. But I've installed the Virtual Machine Manager in DSM 6.2.3 and then ran a virtual instance of beta DSM 7.0, so I can at least play around with the beta before installing on my NAS. You can run Emby in the virtual DSM by using docker. It will also mean I can check the new version of DSM 7.0 compatible Emby when it comes out.

13 hours ago, matrixn said:

Can you share how we can achieve this after upgrading to DSM7?

There is a post here detailing the process

• 3 weeks later...
matrixn
On 9/9/2020 at 9:11 AM, Luke said:

Yes we'll be supporting DSM 7.0.

There are any more news about this one? Even a package in alpha/beta stage we can try out?

Thanks and excuse my rush... :)

Not yet, sorry. First we are focusing on resolving the issues with the current DSM 6.X package. Then we'll look at DSM 7.

But we are in contact with Synology about it and they have helped us by answering some of our questions so far.

1 minute ago, Luke said:

Wow, thanks, i will update to dsm7 and install it over and provide some feedback  asap.

Thanks!

Jusy tried to install it, it gives lower privilege error.

image.thumb.png.6f1c199525c574d643f6b27896c5df6f.png

Or perhaps I am doing something wrong way... can you adivce?

DS1019+ with DSM 7.0-40850

Do we have a dedicated thread for this one? 

Thanks

Edited by matrixn

Yes, I get the same result.

Stopped the Emby server on DSM 6.2.3, upgraded to DSM 7.0 beta, then installed the test Emby package:

339878561_Screenshot2020-10-12083705.jpg.34bbf00dbf11666f05c1be6c46cdae58.jpg

Lower Privilege | Synology DSM6.0 Developer Guide

Edit: Should add that I'm installing from my user, which has admin privileges. Default root user is disabled, as per recommendation from Synology.

Edited by kaj

2 hours ago, Luke said:

Thanks guys. Looks like we have a little more work to do still.

Cool, please keep us updated when we can try again.

Thanks!