Fire TV Stick 4K and external player

lomdar67

lomdar67

Hi,

I'm using the latest version of Emby (for Fire TV) on my Fire TV 4K Stick. I have VLC (from the store) and MX Player (sideloaded) installed, but Emby doesn't seem to recognize any of these two players. I've the "Use External Player" option selected, but every time I want to play a movie it says there is no external player installed. Did I miss something, is there anything else I have to do so that Emby can recognize an external player on the Fire TV?

Best regards, Michael

Edited by lomdar67

Hi.  The app doesn't decide what players are available.  The Android system does.  So, whatever  you are playing is of a type that those apps are not reporting support for.  A log may help us evaluate further.

lomdar67

Thanks for your help. Your comment got me in the right direction. The problem was the second option to sent the the path of the file directly to the external player. Neither VLC nor MX Player support playing over NFS shares. After unchecking that option it worked. Only problem now is, that MX Player plays everything in Stereo only...

Edited by lomdar67

6 hours ago, lomdar67 said:

I was hoping  I could avoid transcoding with an external player.

What items do you have that are transcoding and why?  Can we look at an example?

On 9/10/2020 at 1:58 AM, lomdar67 said:

I was hoping  I could avoid transcoding with an external player.

Can you show us the metadata for one of the files in question?  This information will be shown at the bottom of the detail screen in the web admin.

Can you take a screen shot of one or two files and upload them here please?