4K Quality Option

Disterio

Disterio

If you have multiple versions of a file (ie a 1080P and 4K file), most Emby clients will auto select the best file based on the playback quality selection you've chosen. 

However I've noticed the Apple TV app doesn't have a 4K option under playback quality. 

If you select the highest option (1080P - 60mbps), the app continues to select the 1080P file, even if the 4K file is under 60mbps. 

Am I doing anything wrong?

vdatanet
42 minutes ago, Disterio said:

If you have multiple versions of a file (ie a 1080P and 4K file), most Emby clients will auto select the best file based on the playback quality selection you've chosen. 

However I've noticed the Apple TV app doesn't have a 4K option under playback quality. 

If you select the highest option (1080P - 60mbps), the app continues to select the 1080P file, even if the 4K file is under 60mbps. 

Believe me, you don't want to play 4K content with Emby for Apple TV, 1080p is the most suitable option, especially if the content is HDR.

If you wanna play 4k content on the apple TV go with Infuse. Their latest offering links nicely with an emby server and the interface is lightyears ahead of any other offering :)

• Like 1

Disterio

Im hoping to get away from Infuse. It doesn't have Live TV, is slow to sync watched status with other clients and is slow to update the library. 

What I want to know is can the Emby app intelligently select a 4K file over a 1080p file if it fits under the quality settings?

If not, can this be achieved by adding 4K options in the quality settings?

And can the Emby app direct play 4K HEVC HDR with the MPV player?

vdatanet
1 minute ago, Disterio said:

And can the Emby app direct play 4K HEVC HDR with the MPV player?

Yes and no, can direct play but it's unwatchable. If you use MP4 contained you can direct play using native player, but it freezes. 

I use Emby for Apple TV to play 1080p and 1080i using native player, for 4K HDR I use Infuse as fallback option or Nvidia Shield, depending on the room I'm in.

vdatanet
7 minutes ago, Disterio said:

If not, can this be achieved by adding 4K options in the quality settings?

Quality settings is not the issue.

Edited by vdatanet

vdatanet
44 minutes ago, Disterio said:

Im hoping to get away from Infuse. It doesn't have Live TV, is slow to sync watched status with other clients and is slow to update the library.

Indeed, Infuse is a great player, although it has greatly improved syncing, the experience using Emby for Apple TV is much better, so I am looking forward to improvements to the Emby MPV player for Apple TV.

4 hours ago, Disterio said:

What model Apple TV do you have? The options are specific to the model. 

Disterio
16 minutes ago, corey said:

Scratch that I believe I found the bug in the app and will get that resolved.

Great thanks- yeah I'm using Apple TV 4K

Disterio
8 hours ago, corey said:

Scratch that I believe I found the bug in the app and will get that resolved.

I noticed there's just been an update to the app - was this bugfix included or will it be included in the next update? Couldn't see it in the list of changes.

Just now, Disterio said:

I noticed there's just been an update to the app - was this bugfix included or will it be included in the next update? Couldn't see it in the list of changes.

No it wasn't included in the most recent version.