Orsay 2.2.6a can't select a Live TV channel

Sirbyteme

Sirbyteme

Now I know this is app is not being developed anymore but I just am wondering if anyone else has seen this issue.

I have a Samsung UN40EH5300 running Orsay 2.2.6a very well (Thanks chessdragon136 and cmcg) except for ONE thing that started not too long ago.
In "Live TV" I CANNOT select a channel to watch using the remote NOR the control on the TV itself.
I can see the guide and channels and move around both of those screens but CANNOT select/play anything!
It's as if the coding for "ENTER" in the Live TV area has been lost.
I CAN select and play everything else (Movies, Music, etc.)
I have tried every other button on the remote in Live TV just in case with no luck.

This was true for me on 2.2.4 and I just upgraded to 2.2.6a hoping for a fix with the same results.

Anyone seen this?

Thanks.

Sirbyteme

Luke, I will make a video if you really want me to but it is pretty simple.

When I press the enter button on the remote (or on the physical button on the TV) in "Live TV" on the Guide or Channels screens... nothing happens.
I can view and move around the Guide or Channels but simply cannot select/play anything.
If I do the same thing on all other screens (Movies, Music, Collections, etc.), my selection plays.

I created a new Collection called "Live TV" and added a few of my favorite channels.
The same thing happens... I can't start watching any of them.
Pressing Enter button on any of them does nothing.

All of my other "Collections" work fine.

???

LiveTV in the legacy app was always a working development from the original developers and it has more than a few issues.  When development of the legacy version stopped and the final release version was published it did not have the LiveTV option (as it was only ever available in the dev/beta builds).  As there was no further development and no longer a beta/dev cycle, it was enabled in the release version on an 'as-is' basis for those that were using it.

I've never used it myself, but can have a quick look to see why a program can't be selected.  It may be an easy fix, but it might also open a can of worms.  Officially, LiveTV was an unsupported 'feature'.

So are you saying that it stopped working when you changed the app version, or was a particular version of the app working, and then it stopped?  The later is how I am interpreting your initial post.  if this is the case, then I suspect this may be related to a change on the server, which may require changes to how the livetv stream api is being called.

Sirbyteme

Thanks for the help SamES.

Yes, the latter.
I have been using 2.2.4 for a long time knowing that the LiveTV selection did not work.
Today I finally got around to trying 2.2.6a and found that it does not work either and so I thought I would try letting you guys know.

I know that in the past this worked as I used it quite a bit with this TV but I can't, at this point, tell you what version it did work in as that was long ago.
2.2.3 maybe?

FYI, I have found that "Live TV" has worked very well on this TV (I have 2) in the past but since this issue I have been moving my Roku around when needed.
I would really love to go back to just the TV and stop using the roku.

Thanks again.

Sirbyteme

@SamES

Just checking... is this something you think you can help me with?

Not rushing anyone but am wondering what, if anything, to look forward to.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Sirbyteme

@SamES

One other thing that I just noticed that might help...

When I try to select a Live TV channel (press enter), on both the Guide and Channels pages, I get "Loading" in the upper right corner but nothing after that.
If I go back to another area and then come back to Live TV it is gone but if I press enter again, it comes back.

@Sirbyteme, this is fixed.  It looks like the MediaSource protocol for live TV changed from http to file, which I've now updated in the app

You can download 2.2.8 from here if you host it yourself, otherwise it will be published soon https://github.com/MediaBrowser/SamsungSmartTV/releases/tag/2.2.8

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Sirbyteme

Thanks for your efforts SamES.
I have been on vacation but I got back and did some thorough testing with this but unfortunately it does not work.

Results:
I can't use Live TV in either version.
The remote keys work for Movies in 2.2.4 but do not in 2.2.8

Here is the current server setup:
Emby Server 4.5.1.0
HDHomeRun Connect - Latest HDHomeRun Firmware 20200907

TV's:
1 - Samsung UN40EH5300 - Has last Samsung firmware - Emby for Samsung version 2.2.8
CAN now select a Live TV channel (8.1, the default) but if I change channels (39.1), it plays the same channel (8.1) and same time frame like it was recording/transcoding the show and it gets stuck just playing that clip.
Unplugged the TV and go back to Live TV and select a different channel (10.1) and it still plays the 8.1 clip!
No entries are shown in the "Recordings" section.
Also, now I can't go forward or backward with either the remotes arrow keys or the fast forward keys in Movies.
If I try to use either sets of keys in Live TV it restarts that same 8.1 clip.
After some time (hours?) it loses that clip and I can restart channel 8.1 with live data but if I try to change the channel or press the other buttons it just starts that new clip over and over.

2 - Samsung UN32EH5300 - Last Samsung firmware - Emby for Samsung version 2.2.4
This is my comparison TV. I have not changed the Emby version for a long time.
CANNOT select a Live TV channel (8.1) - Just shows "Loading"
Everything else works. CAN go forward or backward with either the arrow keys or the fast forward keys in Movies.

Another strange thing with 2.2.8, if I play a movie, on the TV it says it is transcoding, but on the emby dashboard it says it is Direct Streaming.
????

Thanks again for all your help.

FrostByte

As far as the difference between the app saying transcoding and server saying streaming I believe from memory it came down to a difference of opinion on what the terms meant.  Chessdragon136  wasn't an official Emby developer and preferred that if anything was being converted to use transcoding audio only, or something like that instead of streaming.  However, he's not here anymore :)

5 hours ago, Sirbyteme said:

Thanks for your efforts SamES.
I have been on vacation but I got back and did some thorough testing with this but unfortunately it does not work.

Results:
I can't use Live TV in either version.
The remote keys work for Movies in 2.2.4 but do not in 2.2.8

Here is the current server setup:
Emby Server 4.5.1.0
HDHomeRun Connect - Latest HDHomeRun Firmware 20200907

TV's:
1 - Samsung UN40EH5300 - Has last Samsung firmware - Emby for Samsung version 2.2.8
CAN now select a Live TV channel (8.1, the default) but if I change channels (39.1), it plays the same channel (8.1) and same time frame like it was recording/transcoding the show and it gets stuck just playing that clip.
Unplugged the TV and go back to Live TV and select a different channel (10.1) and it still plays the 8.1 clip!
No entries are shown in the "Recordings" section.
Also, now I can't go forward or backward with either the remotes arrow keys or the fast forward keys in Movies.
If I try to use either sets of keys in Live TV it restarts that same 8.1 clip.
After some time (hours?) it loses that clip and I can restart channel 8.1 with live data but if I try to change the channel or press the other buttons it just starts that new clip over and over.

2 - Samsung UN32EH5300 - Last Samsung firmware - Emby for Samsung version 2.2.4
This is my comparison TV. I have not changed the Emby version for a long time.
CANNOT select a Live TV channel (8.1) - Just shows "Loading"
Everything else works. CAN go forward or backward with either the arrow keys or the fast forward keys in Movies.

Another strange thing with 2.2.8, if I play a movie, on the TV it says it is transcoding, but on the emby dashboard it says it is Direct Streaming.
????

Thanks again for all your help.

That's unusual, LiveTV was working fine for me with these changes, but I will test again using your specific examples

SamES

OK, I can reproduce this.  For me, it only happens on some channels.

I don't know how this was working previously, or what changed on the server that caused it to stop working, and I'm not sure that there is an easy way to resolve this.

This legacy app has built in logic to determine if a particular video can be played Directly, or Transcoded, which it assesses by analysing the video stream components.  Based on this, it manually constructs the playback URL.  For Video files this still works fine as the video already exists on the server, so as long as the url the client creates is correct, then it successfully retrieves and plays the file.

For LiveTV, it is not so straightforward.  The app tries to use the same approach, and in some cases this works, but in others it doesn't, I suspect when the LiveTV stream  is not in a format that can be DirectPlayed.  This is because there is no file initially, so the streams can't be analysed.  I have forced it to try and DirectPlay the channel, which only works in some cases, so it is not a good fix.

The correct way that this is supposed to work is that the app should create a manifest of the supported video and audio formats, which it sends to the server with the desired playback item (a Live TV channel in this case).  The server will then create the correct URL for playback, regardless of whether DirectPlay or transcoding is required.  It is not a trivial task to rewrite the app to use this logic.  In fact, it would be quite a significant effort and require considerable testing.  That won't happen.

There may be a way to hack something together to make the existing approach more robust, but again, it may grow into considerable effort.  I'm not really sure how many people are still using this version of the app, and of those, how many are using LiveTV.  As you are the only one so far to raise this issue, I suspect there are not many.

Let me stare at this for a small while longer, but at his stage I can't promise that we can resolve this issue.

Sirbyteme

Thanks SamES,
I understand that this is a low priority so I appreciate all that you are doing.

I am curious why the difference between yours and my results.
What Server/Live TV source do you have?

SamES

I think the difference is the format that the channel is being broadcast.  I have some that are native 1080i x264 broadcasts, so they are the ones that work fine

HDHomerun shows them as AVC in the channel lineup.  I'm using HDHomerun Connect with the Beta server release.

image.png.79ea17d51e455228ad64caca882bfccf.png

Sirbyteme

Is there some way to change between AVC or nonAVC?

Sorry but I'm confused about the HDHomerun software.
You said "I'm using HDHomerun Connect with the Beta server release."

I am using the HDHomerun Connect FIRMWARE but no "Server" (???).

Silicondust's website says;
"Currently no beta firmware, 20200907 is latest."

Could you explain?
Thanks.

SamES

Sorry, I'm on Emby Server Beta release and HD Homerun firmware version 20200907.   You can't change to AVC, that is just what is being broadcast by the network.  

That Wiki article seems to be a bit out of date.  I'm In Australia and we have quite a few AVC channels, despite what the article says.