Issue With One Channel Freezing

billm97

Hi,

I have an issue that I hope support or someone can help me with.  I have Emby server on a hardware box running Ubuntu 16 and run NVidia Shields as the TV front end.  My channels are via FIOS and HDHomerun primes. Performance and quality is great except for one issue I'm having.  We have 4 Korean language channels which we can tune and view fine with the HDHomeruns.  However one of the 4 channels constantly freezes up.  Using the remote to go back to the EPG and start play again fixes it but within a short time the playback will freeze again.  The signal strength seems to be fine as measured with the HDHomerun set up app.  Also I am able to view the same channel using the HD Homerun app or Live Channels on the Shield TV and it will play hours and hours without issue, which leads me to believe it is something in Emby causing it.  I went thru the logs but didn't see anything obvious to me.  I've attached a short excerpt of the logs in hopes someone can determine what is causing this.  I had freezes at approx. 09:48, 10:13, 10:15,  10:20 and 10:38.  I greatly appreciate any help in resolving this issue.  

BTW, I am running NVidia Shield 2017 with the latest update and am viewing on TV at 1080p/720p (no 4K)

-Bill

ffmpeg-transcode-587d2d7c-dd6a-4ca7-9b08-35e1390ee0df_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-e826659e-08b7-4301-9e87-a2be5e7ee914_1.txt embyserver.txt

Edited by billm97

Hi,

It's probably something to do with the way the stream is prepared/encoded that triggers something in ffmpeg that Emby uses.and it crashes or stops.  Likely there is unfortunately nothing that can be done about this at the moment but Live TV is going to be replaced in an upcoming Emby Server release with the new Next Gen TV release that won't be using ffmpeg in this same way.  That should be both help to speed up channel changes/initial loading as well as prevent some of these types of glitches that will be able to be handled better since all code now used to capture the streams is Emby code.

Sorry we don't have better news for you at the moment but in the near future this should be fixed.  Sorry can't give an ETA but it's under heavy development and testing at the moment.

• 3 weeks later...
billm97

Hi Luke. I installed 4.5 2 a little while ago. Its been running on the problematic channel for about an hour and so far looks promising. It rarely went that long without locking up. I will continue to monitor it but definitely looks good so far. Thanks.

billm97

Well I spoke too soon. It went 2 1/2 hrs fine without any picture freeze  and then  unfortunately the channel froze. I restarted Emby (this is on Ubuntu) but then I got 3 freezes, all within 10 minutes. 😞

billm97

So this issue is definitely still  occurring in 4.5.2.  I'm still seeing freezing of this one channel intermittently bu still very frequently.

billm97

JWell I spoke too soon. It went 2 1/2 hrs fine without any picture freeze  and then  unfortunately the channel froze. I restarted Emby (this is on Ubuntu) but then I got 3 freezes, all within 10 minutes. 😞

billm97

Yes signal strength and quality are at or very close to 100%. I also updated the hdhomerun to the latest version after I first noticed this issue.  And I have 4 international channels and the other 3 work perfectly. I'm at a loss as to what's going on.

Yes, please see the details in my original post. Every channel from FIOS except this one works fine. And the problem channel works fine with the Live Channeks program in the Nvidia shield and also when viewing with the HDHomerun Prime viewing utility.

Hey Luke.  Thanks for the reply.  I've been out of town and just got a chance to try this.  So I downloaded it from the link you provided and installed it on my Shield TV.  I'm still getting the same frequent lockups/freezing on that one problem channel.  Thanks.

Bill

Edited by billm97
Updating status of my test

• 2 weeks later...
jkramer

This might be the dreaded Nvidia mpeg decoder bug that Nvidia has refused to fix for 3 years that I know of. Quick way to test is to play a recording of that station on your Roku, if it plays well then it's likely the Nvidia issue, which shows up on the Shield and PCs with Nvidia cards.

I could workaround on the PC by replaying on VLC with video acceleration off. I workaround on Shield by selecting "use external player" and using MX player with all HW acceleration off (VLC on the Shield would do, but turn it's acceleration off also). Not how I prefer it, but I have to do it for Sunday Night Football games.

Google Nvidia mpeg decoder bug on certain TV stations

jkramer

BTW, I don't suppose the Emby devs couldn't add a global toggle for video hardware acceleration on the clients could they?

This would finally end my misery of using external players for certain stations and recordings since I prefer the options available in exoplayer (or whatever it's called). It's also a good option to have to troubleshoot other issues if that's any consolation.

Would it not be better to identify the streams with issues and have them bypass GPU on the server?

image.png.3c53052c7ef35f8543330d7cddd231f1.png 

Under advanced transcoding you should have something that will look like this.  You can switch the order or select any listed under MPEG-2 to see if you can remove your problem.

This will allow you to remove all (if needed) mpeg2 decoders to resolve the problem while still leaving encoding enabled.

Worth a try.

jkramer

Thanks, I even unchecked both and recordings and live TV from WDTN Ch2 are still having the issue. Perhaps I was mistaken and it's an encoder bug instead of a decoder bug?

• 4 weeks later...

I am just with this one channel , only its gotten worse now.  Now whenever I tune to it, I get audio and the screen says solid lime green.  Every other channel is fine, but whenever I try to once this one I get a green screen and no picture.  Not sure what changed to make it worse. It's one of my wife's favorite channels so she's not a happy camper.  😞

-Bill

Edited by billm97
updated

• 5 months later...
billm97

I guess the developers have given up trying to resolve this.  The one channel still doesn't work.  Sadly it works perfectly in Plex live tv.  I like Emby a lot but may have to start using Plex instead.

Try 4.6 Server which was released today.  It's rolling out to the different platforms as I type this so keep and eye on your console dashboard for the server update.