Split artist names in music metadata

G0R3Nzh43W42

G0R3Nzh43W42

Hello, searching for music artists only leads to very uncomfortable results. Every "feature" ends up in a new artists.

For example:
I search for Eminem and get "Eminem", "Eminem, The Game", "Eminem feat. Little Wayne" and so on.

To avoid this I would like to have something to "separate" Artists. It can be a comma, & or something else.

For example with comma:
"Eminem, 2Pac, The Game" would be identified as three different artists, instead of one.

Edited by G0R3Nzh43W42

G0R3Nzh43W42
51 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, to split when, while searching? We do support delimeters in embedded metadata to split them.

Yes, exactly. And how do I do that?

ginjaninja
On 9/8/2020 at 8:17 AM, G0R3Nzh43W42 said:

Yes, exactly. And how do I do that?

i use a program called mp3tag to edit tags, it supports all music formats i use (flac(?)/mp3(id3..)) and others. '/' is probably the most compatible (with other players) separator, i use ';' as there are very few real artists with ';' in their name, Emby supports ';', but check your other players  treat ';' as separator if going to use.

Splitting automatically on common connecting words (featuring, feat. ft. etc) has been requested previously but would be difficult to implement, for now you will have to remove the connecting words and use separators. Or tag your songs through Musicbrainz Picard (prior to or instead of Mp3tag). With Picard you wont see your connecting words in Emby but equally you dont have to remove them from the the artist/albumartist tags (if other softwares you use can understand connecting words), this is because Emby reads the Picard tags directly to extract artists and album artists (in preference to the standard ones).

Edited by ginjaninja
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
sonofgamera

I use Foobar for tagging, which uses a semicolon as the delimiter.  Delimited entries split just fine in Emby, but I also have 27 artists with slashes in their names that Emby splits as well.

As far as I can tell, there's no setting in Emby to configure it to ignore slashes as a delimiter, so what are best practices for handling these artists?  I've attempted using the Metadata Manager, but just end up with an additional entry for the artist's full name with no tracks/albums associated.  The tracks/albums remain associated with the split instances.

Thanks for your time.

PenkethBoy

in the past artists like ac/dc have been treated as a special case in the server code

but if you have 27 thats not a viable solution

do they have a / because you added it or did they come that way from the metadata providers like musicBrainz

sonofgamera

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, it's from a metadata provider.  For CDs, I rip using EAC with the CueTools DB plug-in that references MusicBrainz, Discogs, and FreeDB.  For analog sources, I'm using Discogs as reference.  Digital DL are generally from Bandcamp, so it would reflect the entry from the band or label.

PenkethBoy

depends what outcome you want

if some artist a / artist b should be artist A & Artist B then remove the / and change to the &

also make sure the mbz ids are amended/added to match etc

apply as necessary and/or update the providers and wait a day or so for things to update so change is permanent (or as it can be)

also maybe change the order of precedence (in emby) for the metadata providers to see how things change as you appear to be using several

sonofgamera

Interesting.  I have all audio metadata providers for audio turned off in Emby to try to force it to use the tags.  I'll give it a shot.

Thanks.

19 minutes ago, sonofgamera said:

Interesting.  I have all audio metadata providers for audio turned off in Emby to try to force it to use the tags.  I'll give it a shot.

Thanks.

Sorry I don't find that works. In fact it may be a little worse. I have a feature request in to just read tags, that is.. I guess is just waiting

sonofgamera
On 9/21/2020 at 9:15 AM, Vicpa said:

Sorry I don't find that works. In fact it may be a little worse. I have a feature request in to just read tags, that is.. I guess is just waiting

Unfortunately, you're correct.  It made no difference on the split artists.

ginjaninja
16 hours ago, sonofgamera said:

Unfortunately, you're correct.  It made no difference on the split artists.

I think there is a misunderstanding/miscommunication here and we havent gotten to the bottom of it.

Initially I thought your question was about how artists were extracted out of media files and presented in the database, rereading the thread maybe your question is about how you can search the database (ie.  database querying)?

if indeed the former...

then i think there is a better understanding to reach than the  current one; if you pm the file(s) and explain what you want to achieve versus what is happening with a specific example, i am sure there is a better understanding if not a solution.

[i dont think this is applying here] There are [last time i tested] some edge cases around tag reading, where the content in the database already can influence the outcome/confuse the test, so its good to try with a blank (music) database.

ofc After tags in files are amended it is necessary to rescan / refresh.

if you have an artist with / slashes in their name eg "abc/def" and you want this to be understood as the single artist "abc/def" then you need to add a feature request for this artist to be 'whitelisted' from splitting. eg "ac/dc" has been made an exception and remains as a single artist "ac/dc" not two artists "ac" and "dc"

another common source of confusion is multiple tag versions embedded in files. Tagging programs (eg mp3tag/picard) can generally be configured to remove all tag versions and leave only 1 - that is best practise imo. I use id3v2.3. Ultimately Emby sees what ffprobe.exe sees, so if you can run "ffprobe track.mp3" on the command line you will see the data that is passed to embys splitting and matching subsystem.

Edited by ginjaninja

PenkethBoy

for info if you want the name of an artist abc/def to be seen as one artist - another alternative but more fiddly is to 

1 edit the metadata fields using Mp3tag for Artist/Artists/AlbumArtist to abc & def - basically change the / to something else for AC/DC i use AC-DC ( id did this long before the whitelist was put in - but simialr edits work fine)

2. Then ensure the MBz atrist tag is singular so emby only looks for one artist. But....

2.1.1 if an album has genuinely more than one artist the mbz artist tag should have two id's separated either by a / or ; 

2.1.2 Emby will read both tags fine and assign 2 artists or more depending on how many ids there are etc etc

2.1.3 so if you have two artist names separated by / and two ids then you will get two new artists in emby corresponding to the respective pairs of data from the metadata

Simple! :) 

• 3 weeks later...
sonofgamera
On 9/25/2020 at 2:08 AM, ginjaninja said:

if you have an artist with / slashes in their name eg "abc/def" and you want this to be understood as the single artist "abc/def" then you need to add a feature request for this artist to be 'whitelisted' from splitting. eg "ac/dc" has been made an exception and remains as a single artist "ac/dc" not two artists "ac" and "dc"

Thanks so much, all.  I'll proceed with a feature request for the artists I'd like whitelisted.