Multi-Channel Audio and Sony AndroidTV

leetxjd

I have a Sony Bravia XBR 75X900F, which is an Android TV device.  As you might imagine, Sony limits much of what is in the settings menus.

Of course, the benefit of having such a TV is being able to connect it to a receiver and get surround sound.  The Emby TV app does not pass-through any multi-channel sound to the receiver.  The receiver is very capable of utilizing all sorts of codes.

I am able to play all of my movies through Kodi AFTER telling Kodi the capabilities of my reciever. 

However, I naturally want Emby support and its obvious Emby can't tell or is misinterpreting the capabilities of my receiver. 

How do I instruct the Emby player in EmbyTV that the receiver can play such files OR force it to do so anyway. 

Where are these options in EmbyTV?

Here is the log from my last unsuccessful attempt to get surround sound.ffmpeg-transcode-9a1c0ce9-c08f-4f12-b130-5ba9a85b7887_1.txt and ffmpeg-transcode-4b6aab8d-b92a-4785-ad95-9e128dcceba8_1.txt

Any help is appreciated!

-Lee

So you can get an idea of the settings in Kodi to which I refer - here is an image:

1289399858_AudioPassthrough.thumb.jpg.394aec72c2d2a967f9a727d7e204a2cc.jpg

arrbee99

Don't know much about this stuff, but anyway - I guess you have the Emby Android TV app on your TV. There are a few settings under Playback which may be of use to try regarding DTS and DTS-HD, though not sure about the others shown from Kodi.

This might help, or might not - https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/89698-dts-hd-ma-on-the-shield/

rbjtech

..you were on the correct track (see below) - you just need to enable 'pass-though' on the Emby app itself - and it will then pass though the multi-channel non-HD Audio (DTS/AC3 etc) to your receiver - it is unlikely to pass HD Audio however. (DTS-HD/Tru-HD)

4 hours ago, leetxjd said:

Of course, the benefit of having such a TV is being able to connect it to a receiver and get surround sound.  The Emby TV app does not pass-through any multi-channel sound to the receiver.  The receiver is very capable of utilizing all sorts of codes.

Hi.  You will need to be sure your TV is set to pass the audio correctly over ARC and that you have correctly connected the proper HDMI port to your receiver.  If this is done, it should be automatic.

This is an Android TV television.  There is no HDMI out.  Only connection is the optical out for sound.  That is why I need to tell/force the Emby player to pass through the multichannel signal.

I offered the Kodi screenshot as an example of how that app allows me to indicate  the capabilities of my receiver to the player.

It’s either that or the emby player doesn’t appropriately pass through the multichannel “signal”.  I figure since I had to manually enter the receiver capabilities in Kodi that it means Emby doesn’t know or can’t get the capabilities of my receiver.

Are there settings on the server or client that I can change to get Emby to recognize my receiver?

-Lee

vdatanet
6 minutes ago, leetxjd said:

There is no HDMI out

Yes, you have an HDMI out, it's labeled as ARC. Optical out is very limited. Just connect that HDMI to your AVR TV in and all is automatic.

Something similar to this, in this case HDMI 3 is the ARC output.

x900f-inputs-back-large.thumb.jpg.2915aaa19e9c4db3d2c88b53ccca8fa4.jpg

Edited by vdatanet
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

David Patt

I have tv connected via optical out because my audio receiver is older and support HD only ( no 4K, HDR) but when I play on PS4 , which is connected directly by hdmi to tv , tv passthrough sound correctly by optical out. But not in case of Emby. I get only stereo from Emby app but from PS4 I can get DTS etc..

I will test it more when I come back home via ARC.

• Like 1