Multiple Video Stream Support

ajeansnz

ajeansnz

It would be great to have the video stream selectable - same as is audio now.  It appears to be getting more common to embed alternative streams (such as 1080p) alongside a UHD stream particularly within MKV's containers.  This feature would allow us to select a 'best stream' for a given device, an example recently being my Samsung TV not handling 60fps which was the default stream in the MKV.  A 1080p was available also but could not be selected, so my server had to transcode a large UHD high-framerate source file - pretty chunky cpu work which it struggled with and was not necessary.

Capture - MediaInfo.PNG

Capture - VideoStreamSelect.PNG

• Like 3

PenkethBoy

Ok use MKVToolmix to extract the second video track and have it as a multi version movie

Emby currently does not support multiple video streams in the same file.

ajeansnz

Actually exactly what I’ve done - and transcoded 60fps back to UHD 30fps.

Yes, Emby doesn’t support it - which is why this post is in feature requests :)

I’ll head over to bug fixes later and point out it doesn’t appear to be honouring the ‘default’ flag to pick up the correct video stream - it seems to just grab the first stream irrespective.

Happy2Play
1 hour ago, ajeansnz said:

I’ll head over to bug fixes later and point out it doesn’t appear to be honouring the ‘default’ flag to pick up the correct video stream - it seems to just grab the first stream irrespective.

There is not a bug, Emby currently does not support multi-track video files.  Currently you have to create two files, one with each video track.

Old request.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/33800-select-video-stream-from-multi-video-mkv/

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Facepalm 2

ajeansnz

Ah - I searched to check but didn’t find it.  Back in 2017!  I think we’ll see more of multiple video streams - and I get @Luke’s comment on keeping it simple. However with 8k, 4k, 1080 and multiple variations particularly frame rate now studios are pushing boundaries, I suspect we’ll see more of these MKVs.  Perhaps worth a reconsider.

• Like 2