Live TV chops when Synology Volume is at 100%

simonselmer

simonselmer

Hi

I have from time to time been reporting, and discussing with @Luke , on this issue I have been having since I started using Emby Server on my Synology DS918+. Before when running Emby Server on a windows desktop, I had no issues.

My issue in short, what I often experience is that when a start recording a TV show, and then my family starts watching that recording from beginning, while still recording, it chops/freezes, and skipping forward is slow or very slow. 

I have not found the root cause of why it happens, but I have now seen the  "connection" or the pattern of when I have the issue.

The issue occours every time I record a TV show/program, and then after some minutes starts watching that recording, while recording. I feel the more that has been recorded when I start watching the recorded, the worse of an experince I get.

The connection I have found is that, when I experince these issues of chops/freezes and slow skipping forward, the Volume utilization in Synology Resorucemonitoring is close to or is 100%.
And again, this "almost" only happens when I start a "Direct stream" of watching a ongoing recording. Allthough I do also see it oon "just" a Live TV watching, which is also a "Direct stream".

So I think the next step is to solve, WHY is my "Direct Stream" of watching a ongoing recording, causing the Volume Utilization to be close to 100%?

-Shouldn't the Synology be able to handle that?
-Do I need to tweak some Emby server settings? Running 5.4.0.21 beta
-Do I need to tweak some Emby client settings? Android Shield TV
-Do I need to do something about my Synology settings or setup? I running 4 discs in a SHR in one big Volume, with filesystem Btrfs. I have 2x256GB SSD as Cache drive.

I have put screensumps of my observations in the attached file.

I really hope for some good inputs to fixing this, so my TV watching can become stabile.

Thank you very much in advance.
Best Regards Simon

Emby Live TV test.pdf

Hi,

This is a problem that a few people experience and it's not limited to the NAS as it happens on windows as well.  I personally experience this as well and agree it gets worse the longer the recording.  4 hour racing or NFL games show these symtoms.

Short of moving your recording and transcoding to an SSD there is not a lot you can do about this right now.

The new Live TV project in development should fix this as it uses a new recording pipeline and should be much better handling recording and viewing.

simonselmer

Thanks for the feedback, even though I had hoped for some ideas that could tweak this away.

I have filled my 4 bays in the NAS with discs, but IF I were to replace one with an SSD, and create a new Volume just to put transcoding and recording to, WOULD it help? What are the chances it would help?

I would guess the NAS have plenty of internal MB/s transfer speeds, so are the speeds of the discs really the issue?

This new Live TV project, how far in development is it and when is a beta or final version scheduled to be released?
Can I be a beta-tester if one is needed?

Regards Simon

SSDs can make a lot of difference in speed as well a queue length since it can process data faster.

Sorry, can't give an ETA on the new Live TV but it's pretty far a long.